Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Cooking Thursday

 Todays recipe is one I got from my friend Jean of What's up at the Stauffers?... Jean shared some favorite family recipes a while ago and this one piqued my interest.  Jean grew up Mennonite and you know the reputation they have as being wonderful cooks!

This is a recipe for baked corn.  It's a wonderful side dish and I've made it a few times now.  Bob says it definitely a keeper!  However, I forgot to take a picture of it.  You'll just have to trust me when I tell you it's good!


Baked Corn

In a greased baking dish, combine:
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups corn
2 tablespoons butter, sliced (don't tell Jean, but I left this out and it still tasted great)

Top with:
4 tablespoons melted butter mixed with bread crumbs (I used cracker crumbs)
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes , or until set and lightly browned.

9 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I can almost smell it now...

Hootin Anni said...

Bud would love this. He loves everything corn!

Jeanette said...

Hi there fellow Michigander! Just wanted to introduce myself!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

We all love corn so I know we would enjoy this recipe!

Jean said...

So glad you love it! I have often forgotten the butter and couldn’t really tell the difference. I know some people lprefer to use creamed corn for this recipe.

Terri D said...

Sounds good!! Thanks for sharing!! I usually do the Jiffy Corn pudding. This will be a nice change. xo

Changes in the wind said...

I have a recipe similar and can vouch that it is good:)

Henny Penny said...

I absolutely will try this one. We love corn! What would we do without your "cooking Thursday" posts??

Jenny the Pirate said...

Wow, this sounds like a dish that one of my mother's best friends brought with a meal of baked salmon (also incredibly delicious) when Mom was sick. She recited the recipe to me and it sounds a lot like this so I will be making it for sure. My family love corn dishes. Thanks, Mari! xoxo