Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Philadephia

 While we were in Pennsylvania, we planned for one day in Philadephia.  It's another place full of history for us history lovers!  It was about a 2 1/2 hour drive from our cabin, but we were very glad we took the time for this.  We would love to go back and do some of this again, and see the things we missed!


Once we arrived, we started at the Visitor Center, then began walking to a few places.  Just walking on these streets was amazing.  There are so many old beautiful buildings!



My family was laughing at me when I took this photo, but I thought even the alley's were cool.



And cobblestone streets?  Amazing!





We stopped and had lunch outside - authentic Philly cheesesteaks!




We stopped at Christ Church, which was the church of George Washington, Betsy Ross and several of the signers of the Declaration of Independance.  Unfortunately, they are not having tours because of Covid, but at least we got to see it.





There are a few grave sites right next to the church - one is James Wilson, a signer of the constitution.




This is Betsy Ross's home, she is also buried in the gardens here.









We stopped at the cemetery where Benjamin Franklin is buried





It's a beautiful, old cemetery.





Here is the grave site of Benjamin Franklin and his wife Deborah.





The home of Abigal Adamas




The Quaker Meeting House



As we walked, we came to this sight - Independance Hall in front of these modern buildings!



This is the site of the original Presidential home.  Both Washington and Adams lived at this spot.  The house is long gone, but they rebuilt walls and windows so you could walk through and get a feel for what it was like.  Inside there is a archeological dig where original walls can be seen.


A short distance from that, was something we were really looking forward to seeing!


Liberty Bell!  And behind it, Independance Hall.





A statue of George Washington in front of Independance Hall.



We walked from the Libety Bell to Independance Hall.  This is the Courtroom in Independance Hall.







The Assembly Room in Independance Hall.  This is the room where the Declaration of Independance was signed as well as the Constitution.



This is the actual chair that George Washington sat in as he presided over these events.




This is the table that Thomas Jefferson sat at and his actual walking stick is on the table.



Independance Hall









Washington Square Park.  There are 2000 unidentified soldiers from the Revolutionary War buried here.



Before leaving Philadephia, we took a carriage ride through the city.




We drove back to our little cabin in the woods and enjoyed a camp fire in the back.  What a wonderful day!

Here's a quote that Bob found in our book on Philadephia that speaks to all that our founding fathers worked for.  It's relevant in this day as we see what's happening in our country.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it.”
John Adams in letter to Abigail, April 27, 1777.

19 comments:

Jean said...

I enjoyed all of this so very much! I've been to Philly many times, but you definitely got to see things I never did. I don't recall ever being at Independence Hall. I was there on a field trip when I was in school and then again with Lisa's class. I do remember a museum both times in which we walked through a huge replica of a heart. I remember the liberty bell too.

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a great tour! Jam packed with places I have never seen before. so interesting, that grave on the side of the road in front of the church. and Independence Hall is beautiful. I loved it ALL.

Mary said...

Believe it or not, you are better off not being able to go on one of the tours, Mari. Most of the tour guides hate America, the founders and have either no knowledge or do not care to tell history. The local government is corrupt and hire people who should not have those jobs. My daughter and some friends took the tour last year and it was an expensive waste of time

thismammablogs.x said...

This is a lovely post full of adventures , that sandwhich looks amazing , inwouldnlove to visit amaerica in the future x

Susan said...

I enjoyed my visit here tonight. Hubby and I had plans to go back east last fall but it did not work out. Maybe in the future if our country can get back to normal. My hubby ad I took a virtual tour of Charleston So Carolina. We learned a lot from doing that. So many churches there. Did you have smores by the fire?

Hootin Anni said...

Wonderful! All you saw is marvelous. My favorite photo is Independence Hall framed by the trees!!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

There is so much to see in Philadelphia and I think you saw or visited most of it. I enjoyed seeing the pictures - thanks for sharing.

Jan said...

I've lived in PA most of my life, but have never toured Philly. You certainly captured the essence of the history of Philadelphia. Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos. Hope the rest of your adventure was as great!

Changes in the wind said...

This was awesome, thank you so much for sharing all of it. Love the picture of the Independence Hall in front of the new high rises, speaks volumes.

Kim said...

We were in Philly for a wedding not too long ago, it really is full of so much history. What a great trip!

R's Rue said...

I miss Philly. Thank you for sharing.

Terri D said...

An excellent quote from John Adams. Joe and I just watched the entire John Adams series again (3rd time). It is such a good reminder of what our founders endured so that we could be free today. A lesson many have not learned in these more modern times, unfortunately. I am so glad you enjoyed Philadelphia and got to have a cheesesteak!! I know you all made some great memories!

LL Cool Joe said...

Wow what an amazing place full of interest. The building with just the windows and some walls made me grin. Looks a bit surreal really. I can't believe that guy inside isn't wearing a mask either!

Debi said...

What a wonderful place to visit. It's on my bucket list... someday.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari - I love Philadelphia. I saw many of those same places the summer I was there with my daughter and grandchildren. Such amazing history. It made me love my country all the more. Philly Cheesesteaks are still one of my favorite things. We found the best ones came from the food trucks parked on the side of the street, where we could watch them cook up our cheesesteaks. Oh they were soooo good. My mouth is watering even now. What a great trip. Your pictures brought back many special memories. Thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

Wow! It's incredible to see all that history and imagine people from the past living their lives right there. Very cool!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Hi Mari! Sorry I was MIA again a bit. Catching up on your posts. Loved your trip! It looked awesome and so informative. I never liked history as a kid, but now I find it fascinating. 😊

Dianna said...

Oh my, Mari! Such a great part of the history of the United States. I pray it will always be preserved. It seems that the history books keep getting rewritten. I fear one day so much of the true history will be erased. Thank you for sharing with us.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Amazing. I love Philadelphia. The last time we were there, Independence Hall was covered in scaffolding and we could not go inside. I would have LOVED to see those things that the founding fathers touched and used! But by far my favorite thing to see there (besides the view from the steps of the art museum; think Rocky) is the Liberty Bell. "Pass and Stow" ... Audrey and I crack up over that because we always thought that was code for some war maneuver. Turns out it's the names of the guys who cast the bell. Duh. xoxo