Pages

Monday, September 21, 2020

Gettysburg

 We spent Tuesday in Gettysburg. It was an incredible day, soaking in all that history and being sobered by the knowledge of all that happened in that place. There are more monuments in one area than I've ever seen before.  I'm trying to cut down the photos I'm sharing, but I think it's still going to be a lot!  It is indeed a hallowed ground.




Looking from the field into Gettysburg.  The steeple is where people were watching for the Confecerates to arrive.


Monumet for Union General Buford.  He played a major part in day 1.


















Looking down from the top of Little Round Top.  




Someone planted this little flag at the top of Little Round Top.  I thought it was a touching scene.




Looking down on Devils Den from the top of Little Round Top.



The Michigan memorial at Little Round Top,








We took a break for lunch and ate at the Lincoln Diner in Gettysburg.







Devils Den.  Soldiers from both sides hid in these rocks 



Bob, peeking into some of the rocks at Devils Den.




Bob and Andrew were trying to crawl into a little opening at Devils Den.






This is the Pennyslvania monument at Gettysburg.  The brass plaques surrounding the base of the entire monument are inscribed with the names of the soldiers who fought at Gettysburg.  It really brings the number of fighting men to life.







We ended our day at the Gettysburg National Cemetery.  This is where Abraham Lincoln give his famous Gettysburg address.  This tree is called a witness tree as it stands near where the address was given and was alive at the time.




This is soldiers monument.  It stands where Lincoln stood to give the Gettysburg address.  Surrounding it are graves of men from all the states that lost men in the war.


Here is the Michigan sections.



It's a somber sight.

As I said, it was a wonderful day for us - so amazing to see all the sights in Gettysburg, interesting and sobering.
Tomorrow I'll be back with photos from Philadephia.


15 comments:

Terri D said...

We were there so long ago but I remember the feeling of standing there where so many died and where so much history took place. It really is beautiful there. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to Philly. That's where Joe is from!

Debi said...

Two years ago we spent a week in Gettysburg. My husband is a Civil War buff and we loved it there. So much history to see. The National Cemetery brought me to tears. So many graves and when we started reading the dates so many were so very young.

Jean said...

I'm so glad you got to go there and see all these places. It truly is a hard story to hear. So many lives lost.

One of my favorite school trips was to Gettysburg when I was in 7th grade. I think I had a crush on a boy, hahahaha!

I've been there a number of times over the years, but I guess not since 2004 when we took a sister trip there. There used to be a wax museum, and one feature in it was an electric map where they would darken the room and show the battle action with lights on a big map in the center of the room. It was like a surround theater. We sisters had not slept much the night before, and in that dark room I think we were all dozing by the time it was over, hahaha!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hallowed ground for sure. As I told you, we went to Gettysburg some years back and ended up naming our youngest for Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain. We all need to remember the great history our country has and all those who made the ultimate sacrifice. History is to learn from and should not be wiped out - even if some of it is hard to remember and think about. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow, your pictures give me chills! So I can't imagine wat I would feel actually being there! And those rocks!!! BOTH sides?!

Susan said...

I enjoyed your pictures. It must have felt great to visit a part history where a nation divided fought and died. It should not be forgotten. I know I felt that way when visiting Pearl Harbor and the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

Hootin Anni said...

What I learned about the statues of the men on horseback was the most fascinating! The horse itself...if the one leg is up off the ground - both legs up - or all four on the ground depicts if they were wounded, survived, or died in battle. (The men).

Great images.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

The pictures are beautiful but sobering when you think of what happened there. Thanks for sharing your trip.

Linda said...

Its been years since I have been. My husband and son have never been. Its only 4 hrs from here. Maybe its time to plan a trip, smiles. Thank you for the photos and for sharing. smiles

Changes in the wind said...

Have been here but didn't get into the history like I should. It is sobering and beautiful all at the same time.

Sylvia said...

Loved seeing your photos - felt like being on the trip with you.

LL Cool Joe said...

It all looks so lush and green. I'm jealous of your visit to that authentic looking diner!

Laura said...

Wow. Such a sad sight to see all those unmarked graves. And thinking of all the families that never knew what happened to the ones who never came home.

Dianna said...

Somber is indeed the word for what you experience at Gettysburg.

Jenny the Pirate said...

I too was there a long time ago and it was very hot, but I will never forget what it was like. I'd love to go back. Beautiful place, so sad. xoxo