Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Saturday Fun in Petoskey

Saturday morning dawned nice and sunny! However, there was rain predicted later in the day so we headed out to do some outdoor things after breakfast.
Our first stop was the Petoskey beach.  Laura, Aaron and girls love to hunt for Petoskey stones, and this is the place to do it.

Alaina and Ruby said the water was cold, but it wasn't long before they were all wet.



Such clear water!



Alaina with some of her finds. A nice Petoskey stone on the right, the other is a type of coral.



Showing Aaron what they found.







A little playing on the beach, and they we set off for the next thing.


We went to a fish hatchery.

They have a cutout into the river, so you can see the fish swimming around.



Walking to the fish ponds.  It was already getting pretty warm at this point.



There were some huge fish here.  When Laura and Aaron had been here before, you could feed the fish which the girls really enjoyed.  For some reason, Covid has stopped that.  They weren't offering the usual tours either.



There was a blue heron across the pond, looking for something to eat.



We went for lunch after this.  I love to see the girls interacting with Bob.   :)


There is a huge Kilwins in Petoskey.  They train new store owners there, they make a lot of the chocolate and ship it elsewhere.  Usually you can tour it, but again, because of Covid there are no tours right now.  The girls wanted to show us some things they saw when they did the tour before.


The big bar of chocolate by Alaina's head costs $100!



Ruby liked this bunny which would cost you $300.



And if you want this Santa, it's a mere $695!





 The lodge has kayaks available for the guests, so that was the plan for a while in the afternoon.  Alaina did really well, once she figured out how to go backwards.  Here's Aaron, Bob and Alaina.  Ruby was going to go with Laura, but got scared once they started and came back to shore with me.  We could watch them out there.  It started raining though and they didn't stay out for too long.



When they headed back, Ruby ran to the launch to "help" them all make it in.





The girls had taken along a game they were very anxious to play with us.

 It's called Bean Boozled and involves Jelly Belly jelly beans.


You spin and get assigned a color of jelly bean to eat.  Each color can be one of two flavors.




It can be something good, or something horrible!  We decided there was much more horrible than good, and I can tell you that they really were bad.  The girls thought it was hilarious though and they sure did laugh!

I think that's enough for today.  Tomorrow I'll share the end of our time away.

11 comments:

Laurel Wood said...

I can't get over how clear the water is. I love the stones the girls found. How fun to see the fish in the river too. I would have sat out the kayak trip too. Oh, those chocolates look so good. The jelly bean game is hilarious - I had not heard of this one!

Laura said...

It was such a perfect day! So many fun memories. :)

Susan said...

Looks like you are creating some special memories. I love to collect rocks and shells!

Hootin Anni said...

Okay...first, thatxs Ruby by the chocolate bunny? My gosh, she's grown (your photos always show the girls sitting by a table ...well, most always). What a shock to see she's becoming so grown up! Love the stone, coral & heron. Too bad this covid 19 has to ruin everything planned. I wouldn't go on a kayak tho.

Now, about that Santa! (I'll take two.)

Sandi said...

Love those lake pictures! Reminds me of home.

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a fun weekend. I love that you are able to do such fun things with your grand kids. It' also great than another one is on the way!

Arlene G said...

I feel like I went on a trip without leaving my chair Mari. I would have loved that candy factory. I am not familiar with that brand but it looks delish.

Changes in the wind said...

What a fun day and the water was so clear that seeing the rocks was easy and fun. Cute game and looks like it was fun.

Terri D said...

Laughing at the Jelly Belly beans! I'm sure that game is great fun for kids and those beans really are amazing in their replication of flavors. What a fun day you all had. Too bad the rain slowed down the fun in the kayaks. Alaina and Ruby are growing up so fast (or seems fast)! Beautiful girls!

Jean said...

What a great time!! I long to go on a trip again.

I love the picture of Bob and Ruby. That jelly bean game sounds hysterical!!! I can just imagine Sammy and Bianca playing that!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh dear ... just NO to the jellybean game. I'm not THAT cooperative, haaahaha! I wouldn't kayak either. I'm pretty much a landlubbing pirate. xoxo