Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Cooking Thursday

This past weekend I had my family over for supper.  My sister had told me about a wonderful recipe for Strawberry Pie and since my Dad really likes Strawberry Pie, I tried it.  She was right - this is the best strawberry pie I've ever had.  It's a fresh pie that goes together quickly, you need to try it!


Fresh Strawberry Pie
1 quart (about 2 pounds) fresh strawberries
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 baked pie crust
1/2 cup whipping cream, optional

Wash strawberries and hull. Chop 1/2 of the berries with into small pieces or process in food processor.
Place chopped berries into a sauce pan and begin to cook over medium heat. Mix sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl; add to pan with crushed berries. Add lemon juice and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
Cut remaining strawberries into halves and mix with the cooked mixture.
Pour strawberry mixture into baked pie shell. Chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or until pie is set. (May require overnight to fully set.) Serve topped with whipped cream, if desired.

12 comments:

Mary said...

That pie is beautiful and looks like the perfect treat to have. I like how the crust was crimped as well,

Laurel Wood said...

This looks so delicious and refreshing!

Joyful said...

One of my favourite pies. It looks so delicious.

Hootin Anni said...

Yum! A perfect summertime dessert.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Oh my, what a wonderful looking dessert and I do love strawberries. The crust looks perfect too.

Henny Penny said...

Oh Mari! That is definitely the prettiest strawberry pie I've ever seen. Bet is is delicious. I'm going to make one, for sure. I have the best recipe for a blueberry pie that is made almost the same way. We love it. I'll have to post the recipe.

Linda said...

Oh goodness, my mom use to make that. Thanks for bringing back memories, Mari, grin.

Terri D said...

Your crust is gorgeous! This sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe, Mari!

Jenny the Pirate said...

I'm not sure I've ever seen anything quite like this recipe and it sounds amazing. Copied and I'll be trying this one. Thanks, Mari! xoxo

Doris said...

Looks so yummy! Nice idea using crushed strawberry's with the cornstarch.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Mmmm. That does look good.

Jenny the Pirate said...

I wanted to drop back by and report that I made this pie for our Fourth of July get-together. And it failed. As in, I followed the directions to the letter but it never set. So I looked up why that might have happened, and found some cooks discussing that very thing on a site where this exact recipe had been shared. Turns out that the mixture MUST come to a clear boil or it will fail. Now, I did cook mine until it thickened, but it did not boil. Apparently when cornstarch is used as the thickening agent, boiling is necessary. If you've had a success without boiling, I guess I'm wrong and I haven't tried it yet doing it the "right" way, but many commenting cooks agreed that the recipe (which they too had followed as posted) should include this information. BUT someone said that she'd simply popped the pie into the freezer, and so I did that (we had a huge banana pudding as our main dessert), and later in the day we ate it frozen with whipped cream all over the top, and everyone declared that they would prefer we do it that way every time! It was delicious!!! Just the right combination of sweet and tart. And so fresh! A real winner. xoxo