Pages

Monday, June 1, 2020

Oh Happy Day!

After such a long time, we finally had our girls overnight this past weekend!  We had so many fun things to do, so be warned - there are lots of pictures!

I had a vacation day on Friday, so I had been doing some shopping and picked them up at their house a little earlier than usual.

 I picked up new sunglasses for them and told them to make funny faces for this photo.




 I had also picked up these little walkie talkies so they had fun with them when we got back to our house.  They both had trouble remembering to push the button to talk, and not putting their mouths right on it, but they didn't care!



Bob had to work late that evening and didn't get home till shortly after 6:30.

It was a great reunion!




 After Bob had supper we went out to the yard to play.




 Alaina loves to hang upside down.




Ruby wante to give Grandpa a ride in the wagon.  It wasn't long before he was pulling both of them.






When we came inside we went downstairs to work on this. I had ordered this several months ago and they've been waiting to play with it.  It's a whole bunch of heavy cardboard squares, printed to look like wood.  Some have holes cut into them for windows, but they all have little holes along the side that you can use Velcro straps to hook them together.  You can build forts of all types.  This is only about 2/3 of the squares so our fort is probably going to get bigger.



 Then we had ice cream, watched Wallace and Grommit and went to bed a little after 10.



They were up on time in the morning and had breakfast with Grandpa.  They love it when he's home, and they think having a glass of orange juice with him is so fun!   They wanted donut holes for breakfast - not the usual breakfast for any of us, but I guess it's ok occasionally!

We had an enclosed wooden bench in the garage that was starting to fall apart, and they had fun helping him dismantle it and take care of the pieces.




 Then they decided to have a parade in our driveway.  I love how they piled everything they could onto the wagon to pull it.  The chair didn't last long up there.




 Grandpa took them to the shop to work on a project.  He cut 4 blocks, they sanded them and then put a rope through them and tied it up.



Then they got to walk on them, like stilts.  Alaina was really good, could even go up steps with them.  Ruby had a harder time balancing, but they thought they were pretty cool, especially since they helped make them.



 Grandpa hooked the little wagon up behind the mower and took them for a ride.  They always like that!



It was time for lunch.  Grilled cheese was on the menu!

After lunch, I painted their nails.  I bought this polish a while ago for them, because the color is called unicorn.  It's shimmery purple and blue and they think it's the best!





 After lunch we made homemade lava lamps.  I'll share how to do that in another post, but it was easy and fun.




 I had two nieces graduate from high school this year, and one of them had a graduation party in the afternoon.  We went to that and found Great Grandpa and Great Grandma there!





When we got home they were playing outside and were so happy to meet the neighbor girls little chick.
Shortly after that Laura and Aaron came to pick them up.  We had such a good time together. I will admit that we really didn't get anything else done after they left.  We were tired!

15 comments:

Susan said...

You are so blessed to have your grandchildren and parents. I am glad they brought joy. Good to see that know one has to wear mask. We still do here in So Ca. I see you live in the country. I always wanted to live in the country but I am a city girl.

Hootin Anni said...

I can imagine...it tired me out just tagging along on your fun time with the girls!! Oh the memories you make with them tho...it'll last a lifetime!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I love seeing the pictures of the girls and so glad you were able to have them after so long a time. Looks like they were equally glad to be there. Thanks for sharing.

Linda said...

AWESOME!!! Mari, I can't believe how much they have grown, smiles.

Changes in the wind said...

I think they have grown a inch!!! So many fun things to do but the blocks were the best.

Arlene G said...

I totally agree Mari...getting to see our grands again is such a blessing.

Terri D said...

I always love learning about your weekend with the girls and those great projects you two always come up with to entertain them. What fun!!! I love the blocks/stilts!! The girls are growing up so fast. Hugs are just the best!! I'm glad your family was able to gather to celebrate your niece's graduation!! Excellent!!

Beth Cotell said...

What a fun time you guys had together! And I love that unicorn polish. (And after reading about all the stuff you guys did, I'm ready for a nap!)

Tiny Toadstool Cottage said...

How wonderful that you were able to see family again! I have not seen my granddaughters since this all started but we are just starting to be allowed to visit people again. So hopefully soon (unfortunately they live over five hours drive away). I am glad you had so much fun - it seems you packed weeks worth of activities in!

Laurel Wood said...

It is a joy to watch your sweet granddaughters grow and enjoy life. They make me tired they stay so busy!!!! lol I know you and Bob both had a blast with them. xoxo

Debi said...

How lucky you are to be able to have an overnight. We aren't there yet. And today we found out that one of our daughters in law was exposed to COVID (she's an ER nurse in the local hospital) so we won't be seeing those two grands for at least a couple more weeks. We had just gotten to where they could come over and visit outside. Just keeping our fingers crossed that our DIL's test is negative.

Henny Penny said...

I'm so glad you got to have them for the weekend. Bet those were two happy girls. I love the picture of them hugging grandpa when he got home from work. You two are such good grandparents.

Jean said...

I LOVED seeing you with the girls at your house overnight again. You do such fun things!

Laura said...

Oh. My. Goodness!! You sure did pack a lot in a day. I love the picture of Ruby pulling Grandpa in the wagon. And their parade. It makes my mom heart so happy for all the memories they are making!

Jenny the Pirate said...

SUCH fun together! The stilt boxes are brilliant, as is the wood-look fort. Your dad looks great! I was glad to see that. xoxo