Pages

Monday, June 8, 2020

Making "lava lamps"

When the girls came over last weekend, we made homemade lave lamps.  They aren't really lamps as they provide no light, but the bubbling blobs of color do look something like lava lamps.
These were fun to do and if you have young kids around, they would probably enjoy doing it too!

What you need to do this is:
empty bottles - we used water bottles, you can use glasses, mason jars or anything that's clear that you are able to see into.
vegetable oil
water
food coloring
alka seltzer tablets



There are no specific measurements, but you use twice as much oil as water.
I put the oil in each bottle and the girls put in the water.



 Here is Alaina adding water to her bottle.  After the water is added, let them watch how it doesn't mix with the oil and it separates.



 Here's Ruby putting in drops of food coloring.   (on our first attempt at this, Ruby tipped her bottle over, pouring oil, water and food coloring all over the table.  After that we got paper plates to out underneath for a little protection, just in case)



You can see the water on the bottom with the oil on top of it.  If you look close, you'll see some drops of food coloring sitting in the water, not mixing up.

Now it's time for the alka seltzer tabs.  Break it in half and drop both halves in, let the bubbling commence!


Alaina had green, Ruby had pink although it turned out kind of red.  The bubbles float up and down.  Once it stops, you can put in another alka-seltzer and start again!

12 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

That is such a fun project. I love it! You do such fun things with your grands. Enjoy the rest of the week.

Hootin Anni said...

This is quite a neat "trick". Heck, I'd even have fun making one!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Love it! I know the girls did too! Have a great Tuesday.

Arlene G said...

How fun this would be with my younger grands. Thanks for the paper plate suggestion.:)

Jean said...

This is such a fun idea!! I can't wait to do it with some of my grands!

Jan said...

Definetly a project to do with my 5 year old grandson. We're always looking for fun things to do.

Terri D said...

How fun and it makes for a good science project too! Thanks for sharing!

Doris said...

How cool is that!!

Michelle said...

What a great project and fun for your grand-girls!

LL Cool Joe said...

I was going to say, I hope no one dropped the oil on the floor because I imagine that would take hours to clean up! The results look good. Very clever.

Laura said...

Oh Ruby... what a mess to clean up!
They sure did love these though. When they showed them to us at home, we did it in the backyard, lol!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Well you clever clogs you! I wish Ruby hadn't dumped hers over because I'm sure she was dismayed ... but what's a little spill in the scheme of things (although I'm sure I would have been very grumpy about it if Dagny had done it, haaahaha)? Very interesting project. I'll have to try this with Dagny. xoxo