Pages

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Cooking Thursday

We have a fairly regular routine for meals on the weekend.  On Saturday nights we almost always have pizza.  And - it's usually just a frozen pizza!  It's economical, easy and there are some pretty good frozen pizza's out there...  But a few weeks ago, I decided to do something different and make a homemade pizza.  It was really good, and I thought I saved the recipe to share with you.  However, when I was ready to put the post together, I couldn't find it...  Even Bob was disappointed because he loved that sauce.
But guess what?  I found it!  So I'm posting it so I don't lose it again.
I made this into 2 pizzas - one for Bob with pepperoni, sausage, bacon and one for me with pineapple, bacon and fresh oregano.  Yum!
This recipe has a no yeast crust which was good, but it was the sauce that was the best.  And - it's so easy!



Best Homemade Pizza

  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water, roughly
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 5 minute pizza sauce (recipe below)
  • mozzarella cheese , grated
  • fresh oregano, or fresh herbs of your choice, for garnish
  • toppings of your choice

  • **********************************************************************************

    5 Minute Pizza Sauce

  • 1 (15 ounce) can tomato or tomato sauce
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon minced onion
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar

  • In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients and pulse until smooth.
  • Store in a resealable container until ready to use. Or, you could also freeze sauce in ice cube trays, pop out cubes, and place in a plastic bag to continue freezing. Use about 5 cubes per large pizza and microwave before spreading.

  • **********************************************************************************

  • Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
  • In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until thoroughly combined and set aside.
  • Combine the water and oil in a separate jug or cup.
  • Slowly add the water mixture to the flour mixture, holding back a little in case you don't need it all.
  • Using a wooden spoon, or your hands, mix until the dough should be soft, but not sticky. Add a splash more water if your dough is too dry.
  • Lightly flour your work area and a rolling pin then roll dough into a 12-inch circle using your hands (to make 2 smaller pizzas, divide the dough into 2 and roll into 2 8 inch pizzas).
  • Transfer the pizza base to a nonstick pizza base or large baking tray. Spoon the 5 Minute Pizza Sauce over the pizza base. Cover generously with a layer of cheese, toppings of your choice, and fresh oregano.  
  • Bake the pizza for 15 to 17 minutes, or until golden brown. Slice and enjoy!

  • 14 comments:

    Debi said...

    Looks and sounds delicious! Friday night is pizza night in our house... at least until the warmer weather hits. Last year we discovered making pizza on the grill so we do have it sometimes in the summer now.

    Laurel Wood said...

    So glad you found the recipe. It sounds delicious and we love pizza. I'm thankful you are safe from today's bad weather. Have a restful evening. xo

    Joyful said...

    Thanks for the recipes. I'll have to try them some evening :-)

    Susan said...

    That pizza looks really good!. We can't eat it anymore because hubby is diabetic and I am almost there. :(

    Hootin Anni said...

    Oh yes...I'm gonna try this. We love pizza. I was just telling Bud yesterday that we need to get the cast iron skillet out & make a deep dish pizza...now I just have to have pizza!

    Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

    I love pizza and especially easy made ones. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Happy Thursday.

    Henny Penny said...

    The pizza looks delicious! Pizza is just about my favorite food and Dan doesn't care for pizza. Can you even imagine that? You prepare the best meals, even after working all day, away from home!

    Linda said...

    Yum!! Thanks for sharing Mari. smiles

    Changes in the wind said...

    Finding a new recipe that you love is the best!

    Terri D said...

    Thanks, Mari! I saved this to my Pinterest!! Yum!

    Mary said...

    This looks amazing, Mari! I’m definitely going to make this

    Deb J. in Utah said...

    Thanks for the recipe. Will have to give this yummy looking pizza a try!

    Sally said...

    Mari, this reminds me of the long ago days when Mom made homemade pizza's; I've never had another that was as good as hers. However, when she did she also made spaghetti with the sauce she cooked the whole live long day. So good, but no wonder I was fat. :)

    xoxo

    Jenny the Pirate said...

    Oh boy this sounds fantastic. Now I'll be craving homemade pizza, haaahaa! xoxo