Pages

Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Cooking Thursday

 I tried something new last week and made meatloaf in the crockpot. I usually have a problem with meatloaf being greasy, so I used extra lean ground beef and it worked well.  It was nice to get this in the crockpot and not have to get everything done at the last minute.





Crockpot Meat Loaf

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2/3 cup Italian bread crumbs
2 teaspoons dried, minced onion
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten

Sauce:
1 1/2 cups catsup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon mustard
2 teaspoons vinegar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Tear off  2 large strips of aluminum foil and place in bottom and up sides of crockpot; one strip going the length and one going the width of the crockpot.  You will use this later to remove the meat loaf.

Combine all sauce ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.

Mix all meat loaf ingredients together along with 2 tablespoons of the sauce mix. Shape into a loaf shape and place in crockpot.  Then brush 1/2 cup of the sauce over top. Cook on low for 5 1/2 hours.

When finished, lift meatloaf out of crockpot using foil strips and place on cookie sheet.  Brush remaining sauce over top and place under broiler for a few minutes until sticky and bubbly.

10 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari! I love meatloaf, but have never tried it in the crock pot so I will have to do that now! Thanks for the instructions!

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a gorgeously yummy thing to come home to!!

Kim said...

Mmm...never tried meatloaf in the crock pot, it's on the list! I've been away from the computer myself lately, so I'm just catching up now. I hope you're feeling much better and Bob is, too.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Now THIS sounds fascinating! I have never tried meatloaf in the crock pot but I love to use my crock pot and TG loves meat loaf, so things are going to have to change around here, hahaha! xoxo

Dianna said...

Oh my...this not only sounds delicious, but it looks delicious as well. I've already copied and pasted and printed out the recipe! Thanks so much, Mari. My job for this afternoon is to make out menus for March and this one is definitely going on the menu at some point.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I usually make mine into 2 mini loaves in a 9x13 so the grease wells on the bottom. But I love the idea of the slow cooker to be much easier and not have the oven on if I wanted to make it in the summer. Love that! Thanks for sharing 💗 Have a blessed weekend ahead. xo

happyone said...

I usually make meatloaf in my crockpot and have for years. I have a note next to the recipe that says, Even David likes this. (My son was a picky eater as a child.)

Terri D said...

I never thought about meatloaf in the crock. Interesting. I use the liners in my crockpot all the time now for easy cleanup. I think they would work instead of the foil (?). THanks for sharing!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Gee, that sounds like a great idea! I may have to try that!!

Debi said...

I love meatloaf and mashed potatoes! And I really love meatloaf sandwiches the next day!