Pages

Sunday, April 16, 2023

I'm back

 It's been a few weeks since I've been here and those weeks have been busy, eventful, sad and blessed...
Many of you already know this from facebook, but my sweet Dad passed away on April 3.  He went on hospice last June and at that time wasn't expected to live more than a few months, but as he did so many times, he bounced back and did quite well for 9 months.  You may remember that he even celebrated his 92nd birthday in March with all of us around him.
He had been getting much weaker toward the end of March.  On Friday, the 31st he had an appointment with his tax people and he wanted to go.  My sister Cheri and I took him, he went in and talked to the people he knew, joked around with them as he usually did. On the way home he wanted to stop at a place that has malts that he loved, so of course we did.

Here he is, back at his house enjoying his malt.
He was really tired out though.  The hospice nurse told us to tell people to come see him as more declines were expected.
Laura and Heather and their families all came Saturday morning.  He recognized them and was able to talk a little, but by Sunday he was mostly sleeping.  Hospice came again, brought him a hospital bed and we stayed with him.
On Sunday afternoon, we told him we would be ok, and that Ann would be too.  He said "I'll see you all in heaven", and shortly after that he said "I'm packing my bags."  Those were his last words.
By Sunday night he was not responding at all and he passed away shortly after noon on Monday.  Ann, my 2 sisters and I were with him, and he was very peaceful.  We were so happy we had been able to keep him home and that he passed quickly and peacefully.

Here he is at about 8.



This picture was taken when he worked for the road commission, doing lots of snow plowing in the winter and mowing in the summer.


Last, I want to share something I wrote for his funeral bulletin that tells more about him.  

Elmer DeWeerd was born in 1931, the 5th of 10 children.  He had 5 sisters and 4 brothers; one sister died as a child. It was a busy household with several mischievous kids, one of which was my dad.  We used to hear stories of the pranks they pulled on each other.  Good thing their mom had a good sense of humor and lots of patience!

Dad went to school through 8th grade, then started farming.  He left briefly and served in the army, spending time in Germany where he made some life long friends.

Shortly after returning he married Jeanette Zinger and they settled on 32nd street.  His brother Purcel lived across the street and they farmed together.

Elmer and Jeanette had 4 kids; Maribeth, Duane, Terri and Cheryl.  He was a strict, but fun Dad.  The kids remember him coming home for lunch and playing with them, other times they would bring lunch out to him in the field and eat with him there. Church was central in their life and the kids remember seeing him on his knees next to his bed praying. There was always a lot of teasing and laughter as well.In 1972 the highway went through their land, which meant there wasn't enough land for both Elmer and Purcel to farm.  Elmer decided to go to work for Road Commission.  He enjoyed driving the trucks and plowing snow, even though there were often middle of the night calls to go to work.At that time, Elmer and Jeanette built the house on Quincy street where he lived till his passing.

As the kids grew and left the house, Elmer and Jeanette were able to do more traveling, and also enjoyed staying at cottages and doing lots of fishing.Jeanette passed away suddenly in 2003 and Elmer was lonely but he enjoyed spending time with his kids and starting doing things like making pies, canning juice and sharing those goods. He also started bowling and it was there that he met Ann Postma and started telling his kids about this new friend.

Ann brought new joy to his life.  They had such fun with each other, frequently laughing and teasing.  Bowling was always important, but they also enjoyed camping up north, spending time in Florida in the winter, playing cards.With Ann came more kids, grandkids and great grandkids to love and enjoy, and he certainly did!  During this time, Elmer also had grandkids getting married and he welcomed those new family members along with 3 great granddaughters that were a great joy to him.  He always made sure he had suckers in the house so none of the little kids left the house without one when they visited.As his health started to fail and his vision was decreasing, he wasn't able to get out as much as he had before.  He continued to bowl for as long as he could and made it to church just the week before his death. He continued to smile and joke; visits to see him and Ann were always enjoyable.The day before his death, he told his kids he would see them in heaven, and then that he was packing his bags.  Those were his last words.  He left a great legacy of faith.

I was so blessed to have such a wonderful Dad.  I miss him, but am so thankful to have had him for all these years, and even more thankful that I know of his faith in Jesus, and the knowledge that I will see him in heaven.

32 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Mari, I am glad you are back in blogland. This is a wonderful tribute to your dad. You were blessed to have such great parents - and it really shows in the kind of mom and grandma you are. I am so glad that you and your family have the knowledge and comfort that you will see you dad again.

Mandy said...

What a beautiful tribute to your dad. ♥️ I am sure going to miss your updates about him. Seeing him with his malt reminded me of my son dad…my dad wanted a milkshake a couple of days before he passed away and I was honored to go get one for him. I’m so sorry for the grief that comes with losing a parent, but rejoicing with you that you will indeed see him again. I’m glad his passing was merciful and peaceful, and that you could be with him. Sending hugs and prayers for the days ahead.

Connie said...

Mari, I'm sorry to hear that your father passed but it's a time to rejoice for he is with the Lord and without pain. This was a lovely memorial to him and I can see that you loved him very much. God bless you today and always and through the sadness of your loss.

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a lovely tribute to your Dad. This makes me wish that I had a Dad like yours. It is so wonderful that you were with him till the end, and he knew how much you loved him.

Susan said...

What a special tribute to your dad. I am glad you were all with him when he passed on. I am glad you took the time you needed away from blog land. Welcome back Mari!

roentare said...

I am so sad to see your Dad go. Mine went at age of 49 due to earthquake. There is not a single day I wish he could stay on. Great that you get to treat your Dad right and spend the valuable time with him

Donna said...

Oh Mari, I'm so sorry for your loss...but what a blessing you all were to him!
Sounds like he enjoyed his life...
Big hug
Donna

Sandi said...

What wonderful way to be remembered!

My condolences to you and your family.

Jean said...

It's amazing and wonderful that he did not linger very long at all after becoming unresponsive!

What a man! Your write-up was so sweet and informative. I always said that our family is RICH because of the dad we had, not monetarily, but in so many other ways that matter more. And so is your family!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Ugh Mari this is SO heartrending but so precious. God bless you and your family and all of your tender memories of the great man who was your dad. I hope you'll let me copy and paste what you wrote into his Find-A-Grave page. Let me know if you'd rather I didn't. You all are still in my prayers daily and I think of you all often. xoxo

Changes in the wind said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Dad and my condolences.

sharon said...

So sorry for your loss. Sending prayers for you and your family.

16 blessings'mom said...

Oh Mari, what a beautiful life, and what a blessing he was to all of you, and you to him. He was packing his bags. What a very dear man, so sorry for your loss.
Della

Jan said...

A wonderful tribute to your Dad and what a blessing to know that we will be with our loved ones again in Heaven!

Michelle said...

This is a lovely tribute. You have my deepest condolences.

happyone said...

You wrote a wonderful tribute to your Dad.
So sorry to hear of his passing but a blessing to you knowing he is now with the Lord.

Jeanette said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Mari. That was a beautiful tribute to your dad. Looks like he had a wonderful life. I know you will miss him but rejoice in the memories.

Debi said...

Dear Mari, I am so sorry to hear of your dad's passing. I always enjoyed your posts about taking your grands to visit him and Ann. Your tribute to him is beautiful. It is obvious that he was well loved and will be greatly missed.

DUTA said...

Sorry about your Dad! May his soul rest in peace! May God strenghten the family during this period of grief!
You've written a wonderful tribute to your Dad! My sincerest condolences!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

What an amazing life and legacy. And such a beautiful faith is just the icing on the cake. I firmly believe in how he'll see you all in heaven one day too. May he rest in love. And may the love you and your family share - started by such a wonderful parent, bring you peace and comfort Mari. Giant hugs to you! xoxo

Debby said...

Aww that was a beautiful tribute to your dad. He sure was a cute 8 yr old. I'm happy for him that he is now in a much better place - we still miss Pops - but are assured that we will see him again. Thanks for updating - and I'm glad you're back and took the time you needed for the family.

Terri D said...

What a wonderful legacy your dear dad has left behind. And what a wonderful blessing that you were able to be with him for his passing, Mari. Those last words say so much He knew where he was going and he was ready. One day there will be such a great reunion!! Keeping you all in my prayers and sending love & hugs.

Catherine said...

All my condolences for the loss of your beloved father to you and your family. Sending love.

Beth Cotell said...

I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute!

Sally said...

Heaven received a wonderful gift, your dad. I know you'll miss him terribly, but your faith is powerful, Mari. My thoughts are with you and your family. Take good care of you. I love you.

Deb said...

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like he lived a good, full life! =)

R's Rue said...

What a wonderful legacy.

Pam said...

I know you were busy, and I really hope the break helped.. Its always nice when family comes together but usually it is when someone we love moves on. That usually makes things rough, no matter how nice it is to see everyone. You will cont to heal for sometime so be sure and take the time you need.

Joyful said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Mari. But oh, what joy you have in knowing that you will be reunited. He left you and your family with an eternal legacy. God bless.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

What a beautiful tribute to your dad, Mari. Sounds like he lived life to the full right to the very end.
Praying for peace and comfort for you and your family.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

He had a great life and a peaceful passing. Which must be a comfort to all his loved ones.

Many gentle hugs....

Suemn said...

Hi Mari, I just checked back in on your blog this morning to see if you were back to blogging. I am so sorry for the loss of your dad and I am sending you a big virtual hug. Your dad was so very lucky to have such a wonderful supportive family to take care of him. We went through much the same situation with both my mom and dad when they passed away in 2020 within 4 days of each other. You and I were blessed to have had our dads, and in my case, both parents for so many years. Thank you for taking us along, through your blog to the many visits and events with your dad.