Pages

Monday, April 17, 2023

Blessing in the sadness

 As I told you yesterday, my sisters and I were so happy to be with my Dad when he passed.  We were happy we were able to keep him home and take care of him those last few days.
I have some random photos of the week that followed to share with you.


The visitation was really a wonderful time.  So many people came, some that I hadn't seen for some time.  A girl I graduated from high school with came and I hadn't seen her since that time!  Each person who took time to come was greatly appreciated.
It was quite crowded for much of the time, but at one point Bob told me to look across the room.  Alaina had seen Ann sitting down and went to sit with her, which made Ann so happy.  :)



The next day we had a packaged delivered and it was this pretty wind chime from the girls I work with.  Bob put it up right away, and now when I hear the chimes, I think of my Dad.




It's a memorial wind chime, with this hanging from it.



We got such pretty flowers, including this one from my dear friend Jenny, of I'm Having a Thought Here.  A week later, they are still on my table looking pretty!



Our small group from church sent this cheerful arrangement and brought us a lovely meal.




We got so many cards, including some from blog friends.  Each one was appreciated.



Andy and Nikki came from Kentucky and were here for 4 days.  It was good to spend time with them.


Here's Laura and Aaron and family.  Alaina and Ruby had a hard time with all this.  They loved their great grandpa and this is really the first loss they've had to deal with. They were so good at the Funeral and visitation.

I didn't have time to take pictures, so I'm afraid I don't have any of Heather, Andrew and Cassie.  Cassie didn't come to the funeral, but she was at the visitation.  My Dad dearly loved those 3 great granddaughters!

The funeral was so nice, with songs my Dad had chosen.  Bob spoke, telling some memories and funny stories of Dad.  (There are lots of them!)  He talked about what he meant to our family and talked about Dad's wishes to see each person who was at the funeral, in heaven.  Dad's Pastor also gave a great message. The service ended with the casket going out to the song "I'll Fly Away".

Through it all, we felt very loved by our heavenly Father, and by our friends and family here.  I miss Dad, but surely couldn't wish him back.

Last Tuesday, I had a call from Ann's daughter that she had fallen and broken her arm. It's her right arm, and you may remember me talking about how she loves bowling.
She was moving into an Assisted Living Place on Monday.  This is very hard for her, as she is always busy doing something.  She's had so much loss in the last two weeks and this is very hard for her.  Until the move, her kids have been staying with her all the time. 



I stopped with Alaina and Ruby on Saturday. She was so happy to see the girls and I promised her they would be coming to see her at her new place too.
Please pray for a good adjustment for her.
Thank you for your prayers for my family and I!

20 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh, poor Ann! So much sorrow. So many people love you, and have shown their love now. The chimes are wonderful! And Jenny's arrangement is gorgeous. Phil has played I'll Fly Away at several funerals. I always brings a tear.

Lux G. said...

So sorry for your loss. It's good to have our family to offer us support. Sending you virtual hugs and well wishes.

roentare said...

It is great to take care of the survivors. You are doing great to the family.

Beth Cotell said...

I will be praying for you and your whole family. I'm glad that you were surrounded by family and friends and felt loved and cared for.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari. It sounds like the visitation and funeral were wonderful, comforting events for your family. I am so glad that you all have your faith and each other to rely on. You have been in my thoughts and prayers.

Sally said...

Mari, my heart hurts for you. I know though your feelings about Heaven and agree with you. You will miss your dad something awful as I have mind and he's been gone since l994. The greatest blessing of all is that we will see them again. God bless you and yours. Love to you, especially.

Jeanette said...

What a wonderful service and send off for your dad. You are blessed with a wonderful family and friends, including your blogging community! I will keep Ann in my prayers that she adjusts to her new life easily.

Kim said...

Mari, I'm just catching up here. I'm so very sad to hear about your dad's passing. I've enjoyed all the posts you've shared about him over the years. I'm glad you were able to be with him during those last few moments. I'm sure that was a great comfort for you and for him, as well. I'm sorry to hear about Ann's arm. This is surely a rough time for her and feeling physically poor in the middle of so many changes, and such a deep loss, just makes everything harder. Keeping you all in my prayers, my friend, and hoping that you find time to sink into all those lovely memories when the sadness waves hit...xo

happyone said...

Wonderful to have so much support from family and friends.
The chimes are a lovely way to remember your Dad.

DUTA said...

Very sad, but you and family have handled it beautifully!

janie said...

So sorry for your loss. I hope Ann settles in and will be okay. I lost my dear sister suddenly in 2017 and lost my Mom last November. There's not a day that goes by that I don't miss them.

Sounds like you have wonderful, loving and supportive friends and family. It was wonderful that your dad was home and surrounded by loving people.

I came across your blog months ago. Take care and let yourself grieve.

Janie

Sparky said...

What a sweet windchime. Wonderful photos. I pray your heart will heal, the days get brighter and there's joy filled moments ahead.
Love & Prayers xx

Terri D said...

A lovely post, Mari, and thank you for the photos, too. A dear friend of mine from high school sent me a wind chime when Joe passed. I had never heard of that before but it is such a nice reminder of love not lost. I will keep Ann in my prayers and am sorry that she broke her arm. Alaina and Ruby are such sweet girls. The first loss of a loved one is hard and they are so young for this experience. I know their faith and their folks and (you) grandparents will fill their hearts with hope and understanding. Love and hugs

Pam said...

Cards are always so nice and meaningful at a rough time in your life. Glad you are finally getting spring, but wow, you are so far behind TN. All of our bushes and trees bloomed already, the last several weeks ago. Now its just sit and watch the flowers bloom. Enjoy your spring and allow it to help heal you and clear your mind.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

So wonderful to see you sharing so much love as a family during such a painful time. 💗 And love seeing you showered with all the love you deserve as a wonderful friend! Prayers sent for Ann - it has to be so very hard for her dealing with all of this change. You are so good to her and I have no doubt how much that helps her. Blessings to you all dearest Mari. xoxo

The Happy Whisk said...

I'm sorry she fell and hurt herself. Hopefully her new home will have fun things to keep her active. Sorry about your pop passing away, too. Glad you were able to spend some time with family during this.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

What a sweet picture at the top of Elaina sitting with Ann.
The wind chime is beautiful.
Just said a little prayer for Ann that her arm would heal quickly, and that she would be happy in the home she is moving to.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh Mari I am so sorry to hear this bad news about Ann. I hope she can heal and bounce back without too much time going by. You and your sibs are in the same situation with her now, as we have been with Henry since Mom died. But his five children all live far away, while my sister Kay lives only two miles from his front door! I know that he is grateful for her (and me, when I can go be with him) as Ann is for you and your sisters and the children and grandchildren. I thought that lantern was black, haahaa! Maybe you can paint it but the flowers really were pretty, weren't they? When they finally did arrive (if you know, you know). And Bon did an absolutely wonderful job with his speaking part at the funeral ... in fact he may have missed his calling because not everyone can be as effective at pubic speaking as he is! I'm still praying for you all. xoxo

Veronica Lee said...

So sorry for your loss, Mari.

I am glad that you were surrounded by family and friends during your bereavement.

The wind chime is beautiful.

Hugs and blessings.

Jean said...

I'm glad you had the chance to be together as a family and that the service was honoring to your dad and to the Lord. Sweet memories!

I feel so bad for Ann! I pray she will heal well and be able to bowl again!