Pages

Monday, September 19, 2022

Historic Home Tour

 Today I'm going to share some pics of the home tour we went on. This is the longest running tour in the midwest and many people come to Marshall to join.  It isn't just houses and every year is different. We did lots of walking, all over the city on the first day.  The second day we drove to some of the places that were further out.



One of the first places we visited was the Honolulu House.  It was built in 1860. The man who built it had been an ambassador to Hawaii before it became a state.  He loved it and built a house to reflect Honolulu.



Here's some pictures to give you an idea of how it looked inside.  The most amazing thing about this house is that what looks like wallpaper is actually paint.  And not only are all the walls painted in detailed design - all the ceilings are too. It took 3 years for them to paint all the ceilings.



We toured this old church that was built in 1872.  Theyhad someone playing classical music on the organ when we went in.  It had beautiful stained glass throughout.




We walked down Mansion Street - which had lots of gorgeous houses.




Here are just a few of them.






We saw this carving which was carved in 1970 from one tree.  The tree was 250 years old.






Have you ever heard the saying "What the Sam Hill?"  Well, Sam Hill was an actual person and this was his house.  However, he was known for using terrible language and that's how that saying came to be.




Charming streets in the city as we walked.



This was one of our favorite houses to go through.  It was built in 1856 by the owner of the Stagecoach company that took people from Detroit to Chicago with a stop in Marshall. The inside had been completely restored and had beautiful old furniture in it, and even an antique organ.




This was an old school that is restored to look like it did when it was built, and it has all the old school items in it as well.  We went through another old school that had been renovated into a gorgeous home.  




This home was to be the Governors mansion.  It was expected that Marshall would be the state capitol.  However, at the last minute that changed and Lansing was chosen.




On Saturday Evening, there was a Civil War Ball.  There were quite a few people dancing in costumes, which looked quite hot! I loved seeing some of the young kids participating.



Look at those authentic costumes!



At night, the fountain across the street from our bed and breakfast was lit.  On this night they had luminaries lighting the walkways as well.  Such a pretty scene.

We enjoyed our little getaway!  If you ever have a chance to visit Marshall, I recommend it!

20 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Well, my favorites are the Honolulu house and the schoolhouse. I love the trim on the schoolhouse. And the people at the dance look like they just returned from the past. Amazing what costumes can do!

Susan said...

I love to look at churches when I travel. Looks like you had fun!

Kerin said...

What a delightful trip! I love, love all of the old houses and the luminaries are wonderful!
Thanks for sharing!

Smiles :)
~K.

KEV. Robertson. said...

Thank you Mari for posting your tour of the sites of Marshall- wonderful old-world buildings- very enjoyable viewing and reading. Regards. KEV.

roentare said...

Wonderful facades of various buildings

Jeanette said...

Beautiful houses! And how pretty the luminaries are around the fountain!

Changes in the wind said...

What a great get away and thanks for taking us with you!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Ugh I love these old houses! That schoolhouse! I would be right at home in an old schoolhouse made over into a residence. I would hope it had those glorious creaky wood floors and still smelled like pencils. I have been known to say What in the Sam Hill on many occasions, and it was Erica who chided me once and said I was cussing. I've scaled back and now say it maybe once or twice a year, haaahaha xoxo

Catherine said...

It was a nice visit. I love all the houses and yourB&B, the bedroom look great.
I like authentic places. Thank you for sharing with us.

Debby said...

Oh I know my husband and I would really enjoy this small town. Love the homes and the history.

Deb said...

I enjoyed this post just like the previous one. A trip to Marshall sounds like something I would LOVE. Thanks for sharing the pics and the tidbits of information. My brother-in-law used to be really into Civil War re-enactments. It was pretty cool. They set up camps in the woods in and everything. One year he asked if I could make plain bar soaps for his group. They used it as authentic looking props on their supply wagon and in their packs. So fun!

Doris said...

Love touring old homes! Would have certainly enjoyed the old school too.

Hootin Anni said...

Loved the Hawaiian designed home. And that "tree" tree carving is spectacular. (Does hubby of your still carve?)

happyone said...

Oh I love walking tours like that. Such a beautiful place rich in history. Loved ALL your photos.
Yes, I have heard, What the Sam Hill. Never knew he was a real person!

Jean said...

What a beautiful old place to visit!! I am always amazed at the architecture. And that PAINT - WOW!!!!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

How cool! What a wonderful tour. I would love driving down a street like that and seeing them. And it sure sounds like you got to see some beauties. That Honolulu one with all the painted details. Wow! Amazing! Love all the history too. The story behind Sam Hill - that's a hoot.

Terri D said...

I love historic home tours! Lakeland has one every year (except 2020/2021). I missed it this year but will try to remember to get a ticket for 2023. The Lake Morton Historic District puts it on and most of the homes are 1920s Craftsman style. Thanks for sharing Marshall with us, Mari. It looks lovely and I would love to visit there. Nice get-away!! xo

roentare said...

What a fabulous area you live in. Nice neighborhood

Kim said...

What an interesting tour. I love historic homes. I think it's neat that the tour is still running after so many years. I also never knew about Sam Hill. Fun fact, for sure!

LL Cool Joe said...

It looks like a really interesting and pretty place to visit. I'm glad you had a good break!