Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Cooking Thursday

 Fall is definitely starting to show up here in West Michigan.  It's getting cooler and I'm seeing some bits of color in the trees.
It's a good time for chili, soups and stews.  Here's one of our favorites, a recipe I've been making for many years.  It goes together quickly and when you take it out of the oven, the meat is so tender and it's everything is full of flavor!


French Oven Stew

2 pounds beef stew meat, cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes
2 large onions, cut into eight pieces
3 stalks celery, cut into large pieces
4 large carrots, quartered
2 large potatoes, cut into chunks
1/3 cup quick cooking tapioca
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon basil
2 cups tomato juice

Combine tomato juice, tapioca, sugar, salt, pepper and basil in bowl.  Set aside
Place meat, onions, celery and carrots in a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.  Pour tomato juice mixture over top and cover.
Bake at 350 degrees for 2 1/2 hours.
Add potato chunks and bake another hour.
Remove from oven and let rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
 

13 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Wow, Mari that looks so good! What a great fall comfort food! Thanks for sharing how you make it. See you again soon! :-)

Kim said...

This is my favorite fall meal...and winter, too. Looks so good!!

Mary M said...

That oven stew looks incredible, Mari, just the thing for the cooler damp days we have ahead of us. Definitely on my menu plan!

Hootin Anni said...

This with a loaf of crusty bread would make a wonderful meal.

roentare said...

Looks like a heartwarming dish too!

Deb said...

Looks so yummy! And sounds so easy too.

Jeanette said...

Looks delicious! I have already made a chicken stew and have plans for chili in the crockpot soon! One of the few good things about cooler weather!

happyone said...

Yummy, great for a cool fall day or ANY day. :)

Suemn said...

That look so good. I think I'll make it this weekend:)

Beth Cotell said...

Yum!!! Looks perfect for fall!

Donna said...

This looks Wonderful!
hughugs
Donna

Sally said...

One of my faves! Looks so good, Mari.

I actually made soup yesterday, lots of veggies. Rylan had secondd so I wasn't the only one who liked it. :)

Suemn said...

Just to let you know that I made the stew this weekend and it is just as good as I thought it would be:)