Pages

Monday, September 5, 2022

A Day in my Life; September

 Ready or not; September is here!  As I always do, I'm sharing how the first day of the month went for me.

I've been trying to walk more.  I used to walk every morning, then developed a lot of pain, was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and was unable to do it.  Now that the medication is helping control it, I'm trying to get into the habit of spending time on the treadmill before I go to work.


After walking I got ready for work and was in my car about 7:40.

It was a beautiful morning!  There was a light fog and the temp was 60 degrees.  This was taken right on the corner of my street.






The fields look so pretty with this little bit of fog hanging over them.






As I drove further the fog was lifting and the sun was shining.





I got to work about 8:15.  I start at 8:30 but like to get there a little early and get things situated.  This is my office.  Our Geriatric practice is on the bottom floor and there is a family practice on the top floor.





On the first day of the month, I get to flip this monthly calendar and see cute pics of my granddaughters from the year before.  I love having this on my desk!





I also have a daily calendar, and I thought this verse was a good reminder for me as the situation in our world never seems very positive.



Here's my work computer, with the screen it opened with on Thursday.  This is the view every employee in our system got on that day, and it's special because the nurse in the bottom corner with the 45 on it, is a friend from my office; actually the person who recruited me to this job.  She was being celebrated because it was her 45th anniversary of working for Spectrum Health.  She started as a Candy Striper in high school, worked as she went to Nursing School, worked for years in the hospital and now works in our office.  Such an accomplishment!



Here's Cindy, with cake and flowers.  The article said she was a caring person, caring for people and it's so true.


We have different jobs we are assigned to each day, and my job this day was in-basket.  This is a section on our computer system, where the doctors send messages with lab or x-ray results that we call the patients and notify them and then chart it, doctors also ask us to set up referrals to other doctors, hospice, home care, physical therapy... They also have us call and check on people who they have different concerns for, talk to families about concerns or answer inquiries that are sent in by patients via their electronic chart.  It's never boring.
Of course, we are all answering phones too, and you never know what you will get with that!  I had a cute one on Thursday - an older lady called and said she wanted to inform me that there was a problem with our phone system because every time she called her friend, she got us!  I asked if she had checked to make sure she had the right number and she said "yes, this is the number I used for years.  Something must be wrong with the phones".   :)

It was a good day; not too busy, not too slow!

I left work just a few minutes after 5.



I stopped to get groceries on the way home.




You know you are on a country road when there is corn on one side of the road...




and a house with hay in the front yard on the other!





I also saw these cows on the way home.  They were too busy eating to look at me.


I got home about 6:30 and put groceries away.  I had some leftovers that I heated for supper.
Bob was working late and came home about 7:15.  I heated supper for him, made lunches for the next day and then we sat and relaxed.
It was another good day!

16 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I've said it before, but you have such a gorgeous ride to work!! And you need to, it sustain you through your really busy day!

R's Rue said...

I love seeing a little of your day

Jeanette said...

Looks like a good start to September! I walk outside every day but when the weather gets too cold or snowy I'll be back on my treadmill, too! Congratulations to you coworker! When I worked at one of the U of M satellite clinics I would answer phones and make appointments. One time a lady called and wanted to see a doctor because she was having chest pains. She had a known history of heart disease and when I instructed her to call 911 she replied "I hate to do that because every time they come here I get admitted to the hospital!" LOL! I think I finally convinced her but wow! Crazy!

Suemn said...

Congratulations to Cindy on her 45th Anniversary with Spectrum Health. That is quite an accomplishment. I loved you taking us on your work day of September 1st. You never seem to tire or complain and I agree with you that you had a good day:)

Deb said...

Love that first foggy picture, the one with the darker trees.
Congrats and well done to your friend!
There is an area on our country road where the corn is so tall on both sides, it's like driving through a tunnel. lol
Sounds like you had a good day. =)

Kim said...

Your ride to and from work is beautiful...sets a relaxing mood for work and after!

DUTA said...

It looks like you're pleased with your work and the route leading to and from it.
Thanks for sharing.

Debby said...

You work and live in a beautiful area. I love country settings. Be thankful you are not in that horrible bumper-to-bumper traffic like so many others. I remember for years I had to commute to San Francisco. Not fun at all. Stressful. Your commute is peaceful. That's the way it should be.

Mary M said...

I have osteoarthritis and have been fortunate despite the fact I couldn’t keep taking the prescription medication as it was very rough on my stomach, it has been fairly manageable. As always, your photos are beautiful. I always love misty mornings. It’s so heartening to see a nurse treasured for her commitment to the job, they shoulder so much in the care of their patients. I was a candy striper as a teen.

Terri D said...

I always enjoy your first-day posts, Mari!! Congrats to your co-worker and friend on 45 years!! Definitely, something to celebrate! We don't get fog very often here in Florida, but when we do, it sure isn't as pretty as yours! That calendar with the girls is so cute!! xo

Jenny the Pirate said...

Sounds like a wonderful day, and being the first day of SeptemBER, even better!!!! You know how I love my BER months! I also love the view from your home -- the sky, the fields. I wish I lived someplace that felt more like country, although I love our quiet neighborhood. Congratulations to Cindy! A great accomplishment indeed, to stick it out for so long, serving others. I hope God gives her five more years, to fifty, then she can retire and relax if that's what she wants! xoxo

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Another picturesque day in the life of one of my favorite nursies (& that's saying a lot because I have many in my life! Lol). When you talk about your work, it always brings me back. God bless Cindy and all you wonderful nurses who GET IT DONE! The world wouldn't work without you. We may soon have further sisterhood as I'm going to talk to the doc my next check-up about getting tested for rheumatoid arthritis. Ugh It's so good to know there are ways to treat it and keep it manageable.
😊 xoxo

Jean said...

Lots of rainy days and foggy mornings here lately. We did need the rain, but it really is dreary.

Good for you with the treadmill! I have not walked at all this summer. Maybe I can get back to it now that it's not so hot.

As always, I enjoyed reading about your day.

Dianna said...

Sounds like a busy day! But I love it that you take time to notice the extraordinary in the ordinary. Being present like that truly enables us to appreciate and enjoy the daily blessings He gives us.

A Joyful Cottage said...

It does sound like a very good day. 45 years is amazing. To think that she started as a candy striper in high school. That's wonderful! Good to have scripture within eyesight to remind us who's in control. Especially in these troubled times. Enjoy the rest of your week, Mari! xo

LL Cool Joe said...

That drive to work looks beautiful. When I think of people having to commute to London or any city, if it were me, I'd be a stressy mess before I even started work.

You do such a worthwhile job and I loved that verse for the day. It's so true too, only the Lord can give us that inner peace.