Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2022

Schoolhouse tour

 I think old one room school houses are so charming and interesting.  When I see one, I often stop and take pictures.  So, I was excited when I saw that my county was having a tour of one room schoolhouses.  They would all be open, with the chance to wander around outside, but then to go inside and check them out.  This was set up by some historical societies and was even free, although they were collecting donations which would be applied to the upkeep and restoration of the buildings.  There were 6 school houses on the tour, and Bob and I went to all 6.  I have pictures of 5.  The one not pictured was built in 1956, about the time the others were closing and didn't even look like a school house.
I'll show you the other 5 though and will end with my favorite.

This is the South Evergreen School house which is not too far from my house. It was built in 1867, but was only purchased  as a historical landmark about 5 years ago.



They've done a good job at starting the restoration, and hope to get more authentic pieces to add.



They actually have the original outhouse out back!



This is the Pigeon Creek School house.  It was built in 1878.



This is another schoolhouse that is just beginning restoration, but they have the original wood stove.  The wood floors are also original.







This is the Ottawa Station Schoolhouse.  It was built in 1867.
























This is the DeWitt School House, built in 1891.  This one had people in costume to add to the old feel.



The school teacher was waiting for us at the door.








This was a flag from the school, with only 46 stars.














Last, but not least is the New Groningen School House, built in 1891. It's the only one built of brick.  This brick was made in the area, so there are more houses and buildings with this look.



Another teacher waiting for us.



This is also the only school house with 2 rooms.  On the right was the primary learning room, on the left, a grammar room. (I don't know what they did in the grammer room.) The partition in the middle could be folded back to make one big room for programs.  The cord you see in the upper right of the photo is to the school bell.  It's still up there and still rings.


This school house is in Holland, MI, where most of the people were Dutch Immigrants, so there are wooden shoes.



















I had Bob stand next to this desk so you could see how small it is.  There were desks for kids of all ages.



Here is a school photo from 1935.

We really enjoyed this tour.  Hope you liked this step back in time with me!

21 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

What an amazing and unusual tour! I am so glad you took me along! I love the "Be not a dunce"!! The last one looks nothing like the others. Most of them look like small churches to me. Maybe that is because of the bells on top? I guess they were rung at the start of school, and maybe the end and recess. Which makes me wonder if they even HAD recess back then...

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari. Those old school houses are really interesting. I would have really enjoyed going on that tour. Thanks for sharing your great pictures! Hope you have a good week.

Susan said...

I loved all the pictures. I have been to a few replica schoolhouses. What a fun tour. Thanks for sharing!

R's Rue said...

What beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing.

Suemn said...

Loved seeing the old school houses and the photo of the kids at the end of your blog.

Kim said...

This reminds me of Little House On The Prairie. I've only been to one school house here and it was neat.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

How wonderful they are in the process of making this display! Just wonderful and delightful.

I was born in 1937, and lived in a small town. I went to Kindergarden in one room, in some sort of a building.

Then Grades 1 - 6, were all in another building, on an entirely different street.

Grades 1 - 2, in a back room.
Grades 3 - 4, in the left side of a big room.
Grades 5 - 6, were in the right side of said big room.

A wall was between, with a wide opening, closed with pocket doors. For teaching in each room.

When needed, these pocket doors could slide back into the walls.

It was a very neat old school.

Naturally, the teacher taught one Grade, while the other was busy with desk work, in the 2 class rooms.

My favorite memory is... Of a wonderful teacher (Mrs. Murry) having Reading Time, for both 3rd. and 4th. grades. We would all sit and listen to her read young people's novels to us. Probably my first experience with reading books. A delightful memory.

Ooooops... 'Commented' a novel!!!! :-)

🌼💛🌺💛🌼

Jeanette said...

What a great thing to tour! The next time I'm in Holland I will try to see that school house! I loved them all!

Mary said...

I enjoy old school houses as well, here is a photo of the old school house from the late 1700’s early 1800’s in my home town in Massachusetts, https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5104/5673024137_ba2bcb5b55_b.jpg before Covid there would
Be field trips every spring from local elementary schools where the children would spend the morning as a child from those times did. Wish I had some photos of the interior to share.

Kerin said...

Mari, what a treat! Thank you for sharing your old-schoolhouse tour with us!!
I swooned over that soft green color of trim and wainscot in the one schoolhouse...it is perfect!
Sweet simplicity.

~K.

Terri D said...

Thanks for taking us along, Mari! I loved seeing these old schools and love that they are being cared for and preserved!! Too much of our history is trying to be erased these days so seeing this warms my heart!

Henny Penny said...

Oh, I did enjoy it! I would love to visit each one. Mama used to tell us stories of going to school...her and her seven sisters and two brothers. That would have been in the 1920s. Once her brother jumped out the window and went home.

happyone said...

Oh I loved the school house tour. Something I would have loved to do. You did a great job with the pictures. My favorite is the red school house.

Mari said...

Mary - that schoolhouse is beautiful! It is kept up so well. I like the double doors. Thanks for sharing it.

Debi said...

I love old schoolhouses too. These are all in really good shape, I'm glad to see that they have been preserved so well.

Tracy dixon said...

Thanks for the tour. I love things like this.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Hello Dearest! Catching up. I LOVE love love old schoolhouses too. It always reminds me of Little House on the Prairie. I loved that show so much too. I think it would have been kind of fun to have everyone in one big room - all ages - to learn together. I bet really challenging for a teacher though. I think it's great how they work to restore the old featured. Vintage things are just so cool. xo

Doris said...

So interesting! I sat in desks like the last schoolhouse until grade 4. Had two of them but gave them up after we moved here...just no room! So many schoolhouses around here were made into homes.

Dianna said...

I love things like this too. I noticed that they all (even the brick one) had the resembalance of a church in the front. I really enjoyed seeing the insides of them, too. It made me think of the three room school house that I attended as a child in the 1950s. It actually started out as a two room school house, but at some point the "new" room was added on. The time I was there the teachers had two grades in each room. I'm not sure how they were divided up when it was only two rooms. I hadn't thought about it for years...so thank you for the trip down memory lane.

Jean said...

How VERY fascinating!! My favorite picture? Those Dick and Jane books!! I have such fond memories of learning to read from them!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

What an interesting post, and great shots.
I really enjoyed the virtual tour.
Thanks for sharing.