Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Cooking Thursday

 My sister Cheri recently sent me this recipe, with the message "You have to try this!" My usual chili recipe is from my friend Jenny the Pirate and can be found here.  It's so easy and is always good. 
I made this new recipe on the weekend and it was yummy!  I knew Bob would like it, because bacon....    It also has maple syrup in it, just a touch, but it adds a unique flavor twist.  We really liked it and it will be added to my chili recipe roster along with Jenny's recipe!


Smoky Bacon Chili

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground Italian Sausage
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 ounces tomato paste
8 ounces tomato sauce
3 - 15 ounce cans diced tomatoes
3- 15 ounce cans light or dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained
8 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 tablespoon maple syrup
salt and pepper to taste
Optional toppings; sour cream, cheese, green onions

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add beef and sausage and cook until browned, stirring frequently.  Remove meat from pan, drain and set aside.
Add the onion, red pepper and garlic to pan, cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.  Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beans and bacon. Stir until combined and then stir in cooked sausage and beef.
Season with chili powder, cumin, paprika, maple syrup, salt and pepper.  Stir and let chili simmer on low for 30 minutes or until thickened.
Serve hot with desired toppings.

11 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari. This sounds delicious! Going to give it a try! Thanks!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Winter comfort food to the max!

Hootin Anni said...

Sounds great!! I too love bacon.

Catherine said...

Sounds very good I like all the ingredients

Donna said...

Miss Jenny certainly can cook! This looks delicious!
hugs
Donna

Terri D said...

I will have to try this one, for sure!! Thanks, Mari (and your sister)!!

Amy said...

That looks so good!

Sandi said...

YUM. In the thumbnail this looked like Fruity Pebbles. 😂

Jenny the Pirate said...

Good gracious! The reason I use my ultra-simple recipe is that I'm lazy, haaahahaa! When Andrew was a bachelor he used to make it, and he still makes it for his little family! Just so easy. But this recipe sounds absolutely awesome and I have copied it and will definitely try it. My family love all chili recipes! Thanks my friend! xoxo

happyone said...

I've made the same chili recipe for years. Seems to be our favorite. Used to try other recipes but we always come back to ours.
Yours does look good though.

Jean said...

Hmmm, maybe. I too have a recipe I came up with years ago. Whenever I try something different it's not quite good enough, haha!