Pages

Monday, January 23, 2023

Tip for Tuesday

I always brown several pounds (4 or 5) of ground beef at a time, and then freeze it in 1 pound amounts.  It is one of my favorite time saving tips.  Once the meat is browned, it's so easy to throw a meal together and doing it in larger amounts means you only get the mess once.

I recently saw something about cooking ground beef in a crockpot and decided to try it,

Put 4-6 pounds ground beef in a crockpot.  Add 1 1/2 -2 cups water and stir.
Put crockpot on low and cook 4-5 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.


Here's my ground beef, nearly done.




When beef is thoroughly cooked, drain off the water and grease and rinse it.




Then pack the beef into freezer bags.  2 cups equals about 1 pound.
This worked very well and I'll be using this method again.

15 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is a wonderful and time saving idea!

Catherine said...

A nice way to save time and washing up !

A Joyful Cottage said...

I'm curious to know how it tastes compared to browining. Did you use seasonings? I do like the idea of one mess one time. And cooking it in the crockpot would be so easy. Thanks for sharing, Mari. xo

Donna said...

I'm off to do the same! Timesaver!
Thanks Mari!
hugs
Donna

Deb J. in Utah said...

This is a great tip! I also brown and store ground beef in freezer bags for later use. This will be a great way to do it. I will give it a try! Thanks Mari. Have a great day. See you again soon!

Suemn said...

Wow! That sounds like a neat tip. I may give it a try:)

Hootin Anni said...

What an ideal time saver!!!

Mari said...

Nancy - I did use salt and pepper on it. I don't notice a change in flavor doing it this way vs browning it.

Debi said...

This is a great tip, thank you for sharing it. I am going to do this for sure!

DUTA said...

Thanks for the tip.

Terri D said...

It takes longer but there is a lot less mess and you don't have to stand around waiting for it to cook. Thanks for this tip, Mari!!

Jenny the Pirate said...

That is ingenious! xoxo

happyone said...

That is a great idea and sure would save time!!

Susan said...

I will have to try cooking the meet in the crockpot. I guess the fat goes to the top and then skimmed off. Thanks for the tip!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

What a great tip!! Thanks for sharing ;)