Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2023

Overnight visit, games, notes and plastic cups...

 We had Alaina and Ruby overnight this past weekend.  Because of Christmas parties, blizzards and sickness, it's been awhile, so we were happy to have them again.

We went to Chik-fil-A for supper which they enjoyed.  (We liked it too.)  :)

When we got home the girls changed into the PJ's and Alaina had to model her new ones.


She's proud of these because they came with a matching bag.  After I took this picture, she wrapped up in a blanket so her legs didn't freeze!

We played the game of Life on the Wii and then watched Happy Feet before they went to bed.




The next morning, they worked on Lego's while I did a little cooking and got laundry going. 




Bob had to work on Saturday, but he had left a little message on out dry erase frame to tell them he loved them.
Ruby worked hard on a picture to leave for him.  She says it includes some of his favorite things - a tree, paint can (He mixes lots of paint at work), a plant, a saw cutting wood and a dog.  He loved it!


Then we started on our craft for the day.

It involved plastic cups and permanent markers.  You color the cup, put it in the oven and it's supposed to melt into a flat disk that you can use as an ornament or a sun catcher. Here's our cups ready to go into the oven.



Here's the girls watching them melt in the oven. 




However, they didn't melt flat as promised, but turned into mini bowls.  Ruby's response?  "Grandma. you can't believe everything you read on the internet!"  This is true...




Oh well -  they had fun anyway!




They also decided that stacking cups was just as fun!

We made a trip to Great Grandpa's house and then went home.  It was a fun time!

19 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Good lesson learned, Ruby! Looks like you had a fun weekend even though the craft didn't go perfectly as planned. Hope you have a good week!

Ginny Hartzler said...

The P.J.'s are adorable! And the melted cups are even cuter than flat, they would make good keycains.

Susan said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun with your grands. You do fun things with them, and I am sure they love it. Things change when they become teens so enjoy them. Have a great week!

Catherine said...

It is not quite flat but the result is nice. I loved making some crafts with my daughter and baking!
( I am looking for a picture of my Laura Ashley wedding dress! Coming soon 😆)

roentare said...

Another fun day for the young members of the family. So happy they look

Hootin Anni said...

It's always an adventure when you have the girls!! Loving their smiles.

Donna said...

Ahh Mari, nothing better than visits from the grands...glad you had fun!
hugs
Donna

Suemn said...

That craft looks like a winner anyway. Ha!

R's Rue said...

So much fun

Jenny the Pirate said...

I'll never forget when you taught me that stacking cups were toys. My grandchildren still play with the multicolored large solo cups I bought for Dagny all those years ago, and I've added the red shot-size (hahaa) which Rhett adores. Such a great idea and even if your craft was a quasi-fail, that's still really cute! That darling Alaina ... but looking at her bare legs made me shiver, haaahaaa! I'm sure that like me, you have blankets everywhere for such times! xoxo

Jeanette said...

Well, little bowls will have more use than flat discs so that worked out well! Looks like a good time was had by all!

Julieann said...

Your granddaughters are lovely, and smart!!!!! :)

Julieann

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Looks like it was another wonderful time with the girlies. ;) I love Ruby's commment! She's a hoot! The treasured memories you're all making together is priceless. Blessings on your week ahead! xo

happyone said...

Always a fun time at your house. :)

Terri D said...

I just LOVE reading about the girls staying over and the fun crafts you always have ready for them to do! It is so fun watching them grow up into such lovely young ladies through your blog posts, Mari. What a blessing to have them close enough to see them often. xo

Mandy said...

I think the cups turned out pretty cool! I know those girls bring y’all so much joy! They sure are growing up so fast.

A Joyful Cottage said...

Sounds like a fun time with the girls. The picture they made for Bob is adorable. I love your board and batten wall in the dining room. Sooo pretty! xo

My Tata's Cottage said...

Beautiful photos. Love seeing those cuties. Always grateful for you and your prayers. I am so happy I made it over here today. Stay safe and warm and enjoy the week.

P.S. I love the tip about cooking the ground beef. Great way to save some time.

Have a blessed week my friend.

LL Cool Joe said...

I love the way you always do some sort of craft with them, I bet they don't really care about the end results, just doing something with Grandma is special enough, I'm sure.