Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Cooking Thursday

 I have 2 recipes to share with today.  These are both appetizers that I made for our New Year's Eve gathering.  


The first one is originally a Pioneer Woman recipe.  It seems like a crazy combination, but these are so good!  You can make them ahead of time and then heat them for just a bit in the microwave.


Bacon Cracker Appetizers

1 package Club crackers
1 pound thin sliced bacon, cut in half
Brown sugar

Lay crackers face up on a baking sheet with a cooking rack on it.
Top each cracker with a teaspoon of brown sugar.
Carefully wrap the half slice of bacon around each cracker, making sure the topping doesn't fall off.  The bacon should completely cover the cracker.
Place the bacon wrapped crackers back on the cooking rack.
Place in a 250 degree oven for 2 hours, until the bacon is crispy.
Serve hot or at room temperature.


The next one is Bruschetta and is a combo of a few different recipes I've used.  You can make the different parts ahead of time, and then just have to assemble it.  These are full of flavor and are very good.


Bruschetta

1 loaf of French Bread
Olive oil
Cut French bread into thin slices; 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.  Brush with olive oil and bake at 350 degrees until very lightly toasted.

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon dried garlic
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
Beat cream cheese and then mix in the Italian seasoning, dried garlic and basil.

1 pound sweet cherry tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 teaspoon dried garlic
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper
1/3 cup balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
Balsamic glaze.
Combine tomatoes, olive oil, garlic and basil in small baking dish.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes, until tomatoes have slightly burst. 
Drain excess fluid off tomatoes, then stir in the balsamic vinaigrette.

To assemble, spread about 1 tablespoon cream cheese mix onto cooled French bread slices and top with about 4 tomatoes.  Drizzle balsamic glaze over all and enjoy!

17 comments:

Debi said...

Both of these sound delicious... especially the bacon one!

The Happy Whisk said...

I love that the make ahead part! So useful. Happy Eating! Cheers, Ivy.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Both look and sound delicious. I love bacon so the first one would be the one I would try first. Thanks for sharing!

Ginny Hartzler said...

They both look so good! And you could also make a meal of them!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Super yum to both! I have made the PW cracker ones before and I swear they were the fastest thing to disappear to the party I brought them! And I love bruschetta anything. I love that these are bit more unique. yummy!!

Catherine said...

Both sounds very tasty and quick to make

Hootin Anni said...

Anything bacon is a winner in my book!!!

Donna said...

I've never heard of the bacon one! A serious Yum!!
hugs
Donna

Terri D said...

More yummy goodness, Mari!! I am intrigued by the crackers and bacon!! Thanks for sharing both! xo

Suemn said...

They both look like good appetizers for a get-together.

roentare said...

They all make me hungry!

Michelle said...

I make those bacon crackers and they are always a hit.

Jenny the Pirate said...

UGH I LOVE bruschetta and this recipe looks so good but for TG's birthday party next week I may have to break down and make these bacon cracker things. I resisted the urge to do so throughout Christmas (although there was no dearth of treats since I made about 85 other recipes, haha) ... however, I also want to make your crock pot baked ziti PLUS I have a cheese ball in the freezer for that night ... oh mercy we are going to all gain five pounds each, waaaahhhhhh xoxo

Jenny the Pirate said...

BTW you shared a somewhat simpler recipe for bruschetta several years ago, which I made once and which was incredibly delicious. I searched your blog and found it in a post from 2014. A little less labor intensive but I can attest that it was fabulously good! That would be better for us with the crockpot baked ziti than brown sugar bacon crackers, don't you think? And we'll get our bread and salad in one dish! And then I will make a German chocolate cake (TG's favorite and it is after all his birthday) but I'll break out of the mold by making the cake midnight black. xoxo

Kim said...

I haven't had bacon in years, but I know my husband would love that.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Those bacon/cracker ones look interesting and easy to make.
The bruschetta also looks good.

Jean said...

Wow, I'm saving these recipes!!!