Pages

Monday, May 29, 2023

Recent happenings in our yard

Here's what's happening in our yard right now...


I was standing on our porch to take this picture. Bob was on the roof, with his leaf blower, because the roof, and the rain gutters were loaded with what you see falling down.



And here he is, blowing off the walks and the flower beds.



Look at it all!  What is it?  It's called Oak Tree Tassels. They form before the acorn grows, and fall off in late Spring. Each one is just a small little fuzzy string, but when you have a lot of oak trees, they make a big mess!



Our oak trees are all in the front yard, but this stuff falls all over the roof, and then blows off it into the back yard as well.
Bob says our oak trees are the gift that keeps on giving.  They give these tassels, lots of shade, acorns in abundance, and then lots of leaves!



We also have things going on in the back yard.  Bob sent me this photo last week shortly after I left for work. 
One of the drawbacks of living in the country is having a drainfield instead of city septic services.  If it goes bad, you have a big fix with a big price tag!  That's what's happening here - an excavator arrived to replace our drainfield.


Here's the area when they finished.  That's the side of our property with Bob's shop on the left.




Here you can see that much of our back yard was torn up, there is also a big path from the road to this area that got messed up because of heavy equipment.  Unfortunately, that tree, which is a nice Maple tree Bob planted years ago has to be cut down as well.  It's roots are causing big issues.  Bob had to take out a big flower bed that was by that tree also.  He's now planning what to do with the new blank slate he has, but I'm afraid in involves a lot of work.

15 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Bob is a really hard worker! I bet you have a lot of squirrels. That large Hosta is beautiful! I did not know anything about these tassels.

roentare said...

It looks like good work in progress

Suemn said...

Hi Mari,
So sorry on all that work needing to be done by Bob and it's sad that the Maple tree he planted needs to be cut down. I know about tree roots causing problems. I have a big Oak tree in my back yard that I absolutely love for all the shade it gives my back yard but you're right... they are messy aren't they?

DUTA said...

There's always some work to do in the back yard or front yard. It seems Bob can be relied upon both at his workplace and at home. He's doing a good job wherever needed.

Catherine said...

I keep my fingers crossed…we also have drains in our backyard field and I know it cost quite a lot !

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

It's always such a bummer when you have to tear things up. But I have no doubt that creative Bob will come up with something equally beautiful and amazing! ;) He sure is a worker bee. Matt uses that exact same kind of leaf blower!
A few years back I got new gutters on the house that keep all that crud out. They are solid but have drainage holes for rain etc. They work great so I didn't need to clean them out every year anymore. 💗
I hope you have a very blessed rest of your week. xoxo

Kim said...

Oh maple trees are terrible...I'm so allergic to them and we have them everywhere. We also have cesspools in our yards. They sound similar to drainfields. We've had our yard torn apart as well. Not fun!!

happyone said...

Good idea using a leaf blower on the roof.
We have a drain field too but it is pretty far away up in with woods. We have a pump that pumps it up the hill. I hate to think about when ours needs to be replace!!!

Billie Jo said...

So that is what that stuff is! It is all over our deck! Thanks for letting me know. Have a cozy evening, my friend!

16 blessings'mom said...

Oh the joys of country living! We've had our septic pump replaced a few times, and now the distribution box has to be replaced. It truly is always something, isn't it? :). This place was a corn field when we bought the property, now it's like a forest on the sides, and way too many trees in the yard. Paul bought a chain saw last week though, and will be chipping away at the little trees...

Terri D said...

Wow to that big empty space in your yard now. Keep us posted on how Bob makes it beautiful again!! I do not miss the six oak trees we had at our other house. They are pretty and make great shade but they are SO DIRTY! xo

Deb J. in Utah said...

Replacing the drain field doesn't sound fun, but at least Bob is retired now and can oversee the work. It will be good to have the work done. See you again soon!

Debby said...

I remember when my folks had to get the trench dug for a new septic system. It was a mess. That oak stuff must be a nuisance at certain times of the year. But the shade the oaks give is worth it.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Ugh what a mess, Mari! But if I know Bob he will be having a ball planning what to do with that earthy canvas! Can't wait to see what he comes up with. xoxo

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I have never seen or heard of oak tassels before.