Pages

Sunday, May 7, 2023

A Day in my Life

 We've made it to May!  Here's how the first day of the month went for me.

This was going to be a very busy week for me.  The lead nurse in the office was on vacation, so I was working every day.  Because of this, I decided to get up a little early to get a few things done before work.


I started by going downstair and starting some laundry.



The treadmill is also downstairs, and I took my regular morning walk on it.


Then it was time for a shower and getting ready.


When I was ready, I did a little work on the Bible study I'm part of.  This is on Esther and is so interesting!



After that I did a little clean up around the house, started the dishwasher and cleaned the kitchen.

When I got done, it was about 8:15, time to get my work stuff ready as I start at 8:30.


May 1 was a Monday and every Monday I work from home. This is my set up.  I get to sit in my comfy chair, with that little rolling table by me.  I wear a headset to talk to people, calls come through the computer. It works very well and is nice not to have to drive.  I wouldn't want to do it all the time though, I would miss the people I work with!



Here's what my view for the day looks like - computer in front of me, with a view out of our living room window.



At one point it started snowing.  It didn't last too long and the view through the window reminded me that Spring truly was coming!

My job that day was nurse in-basket.  It involves notifying patients of test results, new orders, placing referrals and doing lots of other things that our doctors ask us to do, like updating families, calling other offices for information, ordering tests...  We all answer phones.  When dealing with people, you get the cute ones, the sweet ones - and also the crabby ones!



When I was done at 5, we packed up a food basket to bring to someone that works with Bob who had a new baby.  I had pulled pork, fritos, buns and cookies for them




It was a dreary day and was raining as we left to see that new baby.



This is Madeline - isn't she cute?



We also took this gift for them, a beautiful rocking chair that Bob made.



We came home and had supper, then I did some paperwork.  My brother and I are executers for my Dad's will and it's a lot of work!



I cleaned both of our bathrooms.

Then it was time to sit down, watch a little tv and play on the computer.  What a good day!



16 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

You are an absolute whirlwind! It makes me tired just reading this! I liked seeing around your house as well.

Deb J. in Utah said...

You had a very productive May Day! Good for you. It's great that you are able to work at home one day a week. I think I would enjoy that. I love the meal you made for the Bob's co-worker and that rocking chair is beautiful. Bob is so talented (and so is his wife). That Bible study of Esther sounds so interesting. I hope you have a great week. See you again soon!

Mandy said...

What a precious baby, and I love the rocking chair! It’s beautiful! I really enjoyed working from home during the “time we all had to stay home”. It was great for me because I still got to see and work with my students, but also be home and around for my son who was virtual schooling. When I decide to look for another job, I definitely will be looking for remote work, I think. Your house is so cute! Looks like you had a very productive day!

roentare said...

Great work on your renovation

Donna said...

How wonderful it would have been to work from home back in the day of my nursing...but I had to make rounds at the hospital for the doctor I worked for (OB-GYN) most mornings...and the Internet hadn't come around yet.
I love your home. So pretty!
hugs
Donna

Kim said...

I'm amazed at all you get done by 8:30am, Mari!! How long do you walk on the treadmill. I'm so bad I pass mine on the way to the laundry room. Maybe I stop and walk on it one of these days! Haha!!

Julieann said...

Mari, I really loved this day in life style blog. I love Esther!!!! Your home is just beautiful and I especially love your kitchen and that tile......SWOON!!!!!!
How nice to work from home and what a view you have. That rocking chair is stunning and what a talent Bob has. Hugs for you about your Dad, I am sorry :(

Julieann

Billie Jo said...

Hello! I loved this post, my friend! I loved spending the day with you!!! I cannot believe how much you accomplish in one day! You are inspiring!!! What a blessing you are to others, especially the family with the new baby!! Oh, I love holding babies, don't you?? Have a cozy day, and thanks for sharing.

Sparky said...

Wow, that even made me tired! You deserve a good rest especially dealing with Probate. I know from experience that's time consuming and makes one weary.
Blessings. xx

Suemn said...

Hi Mari, You sure got a lot done in one day. That basket of a dinner for the parents of the new little baby was perfect and I was ready to grab one of those cookies:) The rocking chair that Bob made... well, what can I say? I know little Madeline will love it and have lots of fun with it as she grows. You gave me a good idea and I am now looking for a rolling table to use as I sit in my favorite chair.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I always love following these 1st of the month posts. So fun to get that kind of peek in your life. ;) You do such important work and so grateful for the wonderful nurses of the world! I love the book of Esther. When I was going through my divorce - the book of Esther brought me a lot of comfort. You folks are so sweet to bring goodies for the new Mom and Madeline is adorable. 😍 Bob is so amazing at his woodworking craft. What a gorgeous chair!
Have a blessed week ahead dear Mari xo

happyone said...

Such a busy day you had.
What a great rocking chair that Bob made and such a special gift!!!
Bet they really appreciated that food basket too. What a nice thing to do.

Terri D said...

I always enjoy your first-day-of-the-month posts, Mari. The new baby girl is adorable and that is a nice dinner you prepared and that chair is amazing. I am my friend, Halen's executor/personal representative. Yes, it is hard and I am blessed to have an attorney helping. Lots of little details one would never think about. Have a blessed rest of the week!!

Jeanette said...

Looks like a good start to May! I know several people that work from home full time and they don't like it much! They miss interacting with people but their companies closed their offices! Beautiful rocking chair Bob made!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Another action-packed day for you but how nice to work from home on a dreary day when you can be comfortable and see out the window! And an opportunity to do something nice for someone else, and hold a new baby, is an extra bonus. The rocking chair Bob made is truly an heirloom and I know the family were so thrilled to have it! And yes, being an executor of someone's estate really is a lot of work. I wouldn't want to do it! But this too shall pass. xoxo

My Tata's Cottage said...

You are quite a busy lady! Since Noelle lost Roger she is terribly sad. I understand her sadness but I think if she had to go back and forth to her job she might not feel as isolated. But their company sold their building when 2020 came around so everyone works from home in Colorado. They still have offices in Michigan though. It is their home office. Not many work in my husbands offices these days. Lawyers & para-legals and secretaries are home. IT, Office Services, Payroll and some Marketing are still in the offices. Funny they had signed a new lease long term in 2019. Uh oh.... but Avery & his co worker have to be there even during 2020. You can not bring millions of dollars worth of scanners and other office services equipment home with you. He is blessed, the guys he works with are prayer warriors. Makes their lives all easier in this troubling times we live in.