Pages

Monday, May 3, 2021

Smoky Mountain National Park

We knew it wouldn't work to try to have all of us together, all the time.  So everyone came up with things they wanted to do during the day.  We each did a few things with some other family members, and some things on our own.  We enjoyed time together in the morning and again in the evening.


The first morning, Nikki came up and said there was a raccoon on our deck, next to the hot tub.  Sure enough - he was quite comfortable and we let him be.  He hung out there all day and finally left during the night.




Bob and I spent the first day driving through the Park.  We've been to the Smoky Mountains several times, but the beauty there never fails to astound me.




I always enjoy the tunnels in the mountains.



The streams running through the mountains are a never ending source of beauty!











There is moss covering tree trunks and stones.



Wild flowers can be seen all over.












I thought the shadows on the path were so cool!   



We stopped at this working gristmill.



We were surprised to peek inside and find this man playing banjo.  He was very friendly and chatted with us for a few minutes.



As we were leaving, we ran into Aaron, Laura and the girls who were also coming to see the mill.



We saw signs like this throughout the park, where "Bob"  had gotten into trouble.  I thought I should get a picture of one of them.




We stopped at another old settlement that had an old farm, house, blacksmith shop and several other buildings on it.  I find these old buildings so interesting!




Everything was so green there!



The Smoky Mountains


As we finished the day, I couldn't help but think of the song "How Great Thou Art".  We had seen so much beauty that day, that it was hard to take it all in, and I had to thank God for the beautiful creation he gave us.





Bob and I had supper at a restaurant called "The Local Goat".  I had read many reviews saying we needed to check it out.  We had a really good supper there.  I thought the goat murals they had on the wall were pretty fun.




When we came back, Alaina and Ruby were all set to play a game with us.  We've played it with them before - Beanboozled.  You choose a jelly bean and each color can be good or bad; like coconut or dirty dishwater.  As you can see, we had lots of bad ones!  We also had lots of laughs.
And that's enough for today!  More fun tomorrow.

19 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Your tour is just wonderful! It is the closest I will ever get to seeing it's beauty. The leaf shadows on the ground look like lace.

Catherine said...

Such a beautiful place,
I love the man playing banjo.
Nice to gather a family, I miss that a lot!

Hootin Anni said...

What a terrific outing you two had. Beautiful country, good food, and friendly banjo players!! Just what the doctor ordered.

Martha said...

Thank you so much for sharing all of these gorgeous photos with us. It's been years since I've visited the Smoky Mountains, now I want to go back!

Deb J. in Utah said...

I have always wanted to visit Great Smoky Mountains National Park. All of our national parks are such a treasure! What beautiful pictures. What a great time with the family. So glad you could make this trip. Thanks for sharing your family vacation!

Sparky said...

Pretty pictures! And it looks like y'all had a great time. That's wonderful. Can't wait for more! Now I wanna go back and visit too. Blessings to you all. xx

Changes in the wind said...

It is indeed a beautiful place and your pictures captured it perfectly.

Debi said...

Beautiful photos! I love the photos of old buildings. We've never been to Tennessee, it surely is pretty. So glad you got to spend time with your whole family.

Suemn said...

I hope your husband wasn't "That Bob". ha! Ooh, I don't know if I'd want to play the jelly bean game:) I have to say that the raccoon looks like he's at home there and is just sitting back, enjoying life. ha!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

What a place!

What a vacation! Complete with visiting raccoon!

And oh those streams! -happy sigh-

🌿🌼"Blogs are little First Amendment machines."🌼🌿

Jenny the Pirate said...

I can't believe you were a mere 3.5 hours from me! I could have haunted you! I need that raccoon on my deck! I love raccoons. I love the Great Smokies. I don't do nasty jellybeans. That is all. xoxo

R's Rue said...

Beautiful memories

Terri D said...

I've been in the Smokeys a few times and "How Great Thou Art" should be the theme song, for sure! Mari, you are such a good photographer. You have a great eye! Those shadows on the pathway are brilliant. You really do have a second calling. Thanks for taking us along! xo

Laurel Wood said...

The park is just beautiful in spring, I love the photos you shared. The goat mural is cute as can be, love the faces you captured during the game.

Jean said...

That rocoon!! Toooo funny! And also the signs about the trouble Bob's been in, haha!

The beauty truly is amazing. I've never been to Tennessee!

Tracy dixon said...

I don't know if yall got to go there or not yet, but Cades Cove in Townsend is my families place. I am a 4th generation Oliver. The Oliver's were the first settlers in that area and became very good friends with the Cherokee Indians on the reservation in Cherokee, NC

Doris Fahnestock said...

Ellen was looking at these pictures and thought they were so pretty. Maybe we will have to consider a mountain vacation instead of always the beach. Although it's very hard to give up the beach!! I cannot do those horrid flavors but Ellen thinks it's great fun. She would have been right there trying them!

Henny Penny said...

What a wonderful vacation you all had. I've just looked back to your "family vacation" post too. The pictures are beautiful. I could live full time in the cabin. How pretty it is. Aren't the mountains beautiful beyond belief.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Thanks for taking us along on the trip! It is so gorgeous! I was there back in college days. I'm jealous of how green and lovely everything looks. You guys just look like such a fun group. 😊 I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time.