Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2021

A Day in my Life - May

 We interrupt this vacation to share A Day in my Life.  It's May!  

The first day of the month fell on a Saturday.  It was an unusual day because neither Bob or I were working and we didn't have any grandkids over night.  So here's how the day went.

We slept in!  We got up shortly after 8 and I made us some breakfast.


We had bacon and eggs, which is very unusual for us, but we enjoyed it!


After breakfast, I started some laundry  and then did a little meal prep.  Sundays can be busy days for us, so I usually get some meals ready on Saturday.  We usually have some type of hot sandwich at night.  I mixed up a recipe for a deviled ham spread which is put on half buns and broiled.  I also like to have something ready for a lunch, because we don't get out of church until about noon and I don't like to take a lot of time fussing when we get home.


I cooked some chicken, and added in peppers, onions and fajita mix.  On Sunday, I put it on flour tortillas with a little cheese and made fajita quesadillas.  Simple and good!



While I was doing that, I could see Bob working in the back yard.  He had mowed the lawn and was using the weed whip to trim things up.


When I finished in the kitchen, I wandered outside to check out the blooms.


The grape Hyacinths are blooming like crazy.



In the side yard, the forsythia and the red bud are blooming!  I wish they stayed in bloom all summer!


Bob and I had lunch and then he headed out to work on the front yard landscaping.

When we started on this porch project last year, all the plants had to be pulled out and moved.  Then heavy equipment came in and drove over the yard, leaving a mess!  Bob had dirt delivered before we went on vacation and had spread it out, but needed to start moving plants and bushes.



While he was working out there, I tackled a project that's been hanging over me.  We have a freezer downstairs that needed to be defrosted.  It's something I put off, because it's a pain!  It involves emptying it all out, then putting a heater in front of it, moping up melted ice and chipping it off the shelves.  Why did I not buy a frost free freezer when we got this one?


But look!  Doesn't it look good when it's done?  (In case you are wondering, the Harley Davidson bag came from a co-worker who was selling burritos for a fund raiser)
When I finished it, I was on a roll and decided to do the refrigerator and freezer in the kitchen as well.  So nice to have that done!


When I got done, I saw Bob finishing with his projects for the day.  He's not completely done yet, but made good progress on moving plants.



We had pizza for supper.  Bob had seen these Digiorno Croissant pizza's and thought they looked good.  I don't like pepperoni, so I pull it off part and move it to Bob's section.  I added cherry tomatoes and they tasted good!  The pizza was ok, but not as good as we anticipated.

Then we had a nice quiet and relaxing evening.  It was a good Saturday!

Vacation reports return tomorrow...


20 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari - I love your "Day in the life posts." We also have a freezer that needs to be defrosted, and I also put that big job off. Like you, I wonder what I was thinking when we bought a freezer that needs to be defrosted. ;-) I need to tackle that right away after school is out for the summer. I love your new porch. You have such a nice, pleasant home and a very nice yard. Will look forward to more vacation pictures! Have a good Wednesday.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Three I Can't Believes:

One: I can't believe that in this day and age anyone defrosts anything, anymore. I was today years old when I learned that that is still a practice, although I question how common;

Two: I can't believe you didn't crank up the Harley Hog and let IT defrost the garage freezer; and

Three: I can't believe you move all that succulent pepperoni around so none of it touches your lips. I would have added another half-pound of pepperoni (oh yes I always have quantities on hand) to that bad boy, and a bunch of red pepper flakes and parmesan on top of that.

xoxo and much love, J the P

p.s. I can't believe that when you have a day off, you don't stay in bed until at least ten and make Bon bring you breakfast in bed (preferably pastries) which you consume lazily while he massages your feet.

That is all. For now.

Susan said...

The pizza looks good to me. Looks like you had a nice quiet Saturday. So did we. Enjoy the rest of your week. Oh, I only visited Hawaii(4 times) and Alaska while on a cruise. I only have lived in So California.

Hootin Anni said...

I'll take both shares of that pepperoni. I fix a large potato (baked) and then add pizza sauce cheese and pepperoni for a topping. Delicious, but I must confess you can't see the potato for the toppings.
Beautiful yard work. Too bad the grass got "cut up" from the construction.

Laurel Wood said...

I am happy you two enjoyed a day off together. Your breakfast looks so good. I have always loved the gate Bob built and the red bud and forsythia look so pretty framed by the gate. The grape hyacinths are so colorful. Your home is beautiful and the porch addition is nice. It is a lot of work to move plants and then plant them. You will have to share photos when the project is complete. I hope you have a good day and I look forward to more vacation pics.

Debi said...

I hate defrosting the freezer. We usually only do it once a year unless it gets really bad in between. A frost free freezer is on my wish list but not until this one dies. I had grape hyacinths years ago but some critter got into them and I never replanted them. I'm thinking I should give them another try. Have a great day!

Martha said...

It sounds like a perfect day to me! :)

Changes in the wind said...

You both did a lot of work on you "day off". Your flowers look so pretty and what a job to have to re-do the landscaping in the front.

Unknown said...

It's been awhile since I've commented, but I love your blog. I've been reading it since before your granddaughters were born. My grandkid dates have dwindled since they are all 11-18 now, but 3 of them still spend the night on the week-end with me! I'll take it!

Linda said...

Since we are anticipating moving at some point, defrosting the freezers and such will have be done, with that said, your coming here, righttttttttttt??? ((grin))

Beside a babbling brook... said...

First.. Bacon... We did our last, in 400 degree oven, for 15 min. Crinkled foil and laid it on cookie sheet. Placed slices of bacon on crinkles. It came out sooooooo wonderfully!!!!! I want to shout this to the rooftops. -grin-

Lovely day, you had! And a made-lots-of-progress day!!!!!!!! Wow did you two, get things done!!!!!!! You are amazing. Ahhhhh, to be young again. 'Cause to us, you are _young_!!!!

🌿😊💛Blogs are little First Amendment machines.💛😊🌿

Doris Fahnestock said...

That was a very unusual day for you but a very productive one!!

Kim said...

Work or play you always accomplish so much in a day! And mmmm...pizza!!

Jules said...

Hi Mari, I just recently came across your blog (I forget how I got here. Haha!) and I thought I would say hello. I LOVE your wooden gate. That is beautiful! You're welcome to drop by my blog any time if you'd like. I hope you have a wonderful day! Jules https://magicandmain.net/blog/

Sparky said...

Wonderful photos, like always. Your place is so pretty. Y'all are doing a splendid job of keeping it pretty. It's a lot of work, isn't it?!
Bacon and scrambled eggs is what I have every morning. It's my favorite breakfast. Steve adds Half & Half to the eggs with lots of butter. So yummy!
Blessings. xx

Henny Penny said...

You have a beautiful yard! Sounds like a busy but good day. The pizza sure looks good.

Jean said...

A perfect Saturday!! We had one like that in April. Such satisfaction afterward.

Terri D said...

I like pizza but have to say your breakfast really made me want bacon and eggs!! Your new front porch looks so great! I know your yard will be beautiful once Bob puts his touch on it. Good job on the fridge cleanouts. I did that a week ago before trash day so know how good it feels to have it done! xo

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Always love these fun posts. Your yard is looking beautiful! I can see your flowering trees are blooming too! You're a good week or 2 ahead of us, sigh. Lol I do enjoy admiring yours though. 😉 I wondered about those digiorno pizzas too. Good to know they're not that great. Lol I love their regular rising crust ones. 😋

LL Cool Joe said...

You two are always so busy! You work hard and play hard!