Pages

Sunday, December 1, 2019

Sometimes things don't go as planned!

 Hi!  Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving.  I had to work 11-7 the night before, but was able to come home and sleep for a bit and have a nice day.  I also had a nice blog break and got some things accomplished.
The day after Thanksgiving, I had the day off and planned to put up our tree.  I had already put up the other decorations, but was waiting on the tree.  Our main tree is not very big - about 5 1/2 feet tall and last year we got a tree bag for it.  So the decorations stay on it, you bag it and store it.  Bob brought it upstairs on Thanksgiving night, and the plan was for me to get the bag off and move it into place on Friday.
Friday morning I was doing something in the kitchen when I heard a big noise in the living room.  You're right - the tree had fallen and was laying down on the floor.  My first mistake was to stand it back up.  I went back to finish what I was doing in the kitchen.  Shortly after, I heard a now familiar sound.  You guessed it - tree was back on the floor!  I left it there and finished some other tasks.

image
When I opened the tree bag, I found something similar to this - bent branches and lots of broken ornaments. There were many of them off their hooks and the tree as well.
I moved furniture, vacuumed and put the tree where it belonged.  I picked up broken ornaments and managed to cut a finger, then had to redo the tree, which seemed to have developed a bend.  (Bob says it's now a Charlie Brown Tree).  I then discovered that the extension cord and timer were missing...   I decided I'd had enough of that tree and went to set up the two little trees we put on our front porch.  They have no decorations, just lights. Unfortunately, only half of the lights were working and the timer and cord for them was also missing!  (Who put this stuff away last year?)  I don't know what I did with it - I always put it right in the box with the Christmas stuff.
On Saturday I had some errands to run, and was now going to pick up a few extension cords and lights too.  I made some cookies in the morning, and noticed the oven was not smelling good.  Something must have spilled and was burning.  I made plans to clean the oven, but headed out to do my errands first.
When I came home, I emptied the oven, started the self cleaner and went into the living room to get the lights going on the main tree, and put new ones on our porch trees.
It wasn't long, and a smoke detector went off.  I walked into the kitchen to see something like this:

Image result for smokie pouring out of oven vent"
Smoke was coming out of the oven vent and the kitchen was enveloped in a haze!  I turned off the smoke detector, opened some windows and turned on the microwave vent.  It didn't last long, but the lingering smoke lasted too long!  It was 34 degrees outside, so not a good time for open windows.  I lit candles to try to make things smell better.  The crazy thing is that I have no idea what spilled in that oven!
So, now you know what I was up to on Friday and Sat.  I did get the trees fixed, the oven is clean and has been used again with no smoke and everything is looking good.  Sometimes you just have to laugh, right?  But I think I need to go back to work.  I do less damage there!

16 comments:

Joyful said...

Oh my word, you had quite the weekend. But I'm glad things are now back to normal and I pray all goes smoothly from here on in.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari - wow sometimes things just to not go at all as planned, do they. You have a good attitude though. I love it! Have a good week - hope things go a bit more your way! Have a good one and stay warm!

Renee said...

Oh my goodness - what a weekend! Glad it all worked out though! Have a blessed Christmas season!

Renee'

Laurel Wood said...

Oh no! So sorry about the tree and ornaments. There is nothing worse than the smell of a smoking oven. I hope you have a nice week and happy December.

Jean said...

Ugh!! That is a lot of things gone wrong! I’m glad you had time to be home and get everything back into working order. Your last two sentences cracked me up, lol!!

Henny Penny said...

Oh my gosh Mari! Days like that make you want to stay at work. Sounds like you handled it all very well. I would have been, as we say around here, "ill as a hornet"! Clean the oven is on my to do list for today. For some unknown reason a big puff of grease blew out of the roasting pan while the turkey was cooking. Never had that happen before. It smoked and smoked too. :) Hope you have a good week.

Judy said...

Oh my goodness, when it rains it pours. I'm glad everything got all straightened out for you. Happy "belated" Birthday to you!

Linda said...

Umm...I had to laugh...the oven thing happened to me yesterday...sigh...here is hoping today is better, smiles.

Arlene G said...

Those kinds of days are so frustrating. Glad you persevered Mari

Dianna said...

Oh my goodness. I would have been in tears instead of laughing. I hope that none of the ornaments that got broken were heirloom ornaments. This post should go down in a book entitled Murphy's Law. xx

Kathie said...

Wow.. when it rains, it pours! I'm so glad you're ok and everything was settled in the end! We've had quite a few trees fall in the past.. makes a bit of a mess and leaves a good laugh in the end.

Jenny the Pirate said...

No good deed goes unpunished! The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Sorry (really) but I had to chuckle. It's just that you're normally so self-assured and in control of your little vessel ... haaahahaha but CHRISTMAS decorations will confound the BEST among us. I have sputtered and swept my way through the process too, this year. And I'm not even finished. Now, I am just saying ... I would not be brave enough to keep the ornaments on my tree and put it in a bag. I just can't imagine that working for me but ... if you can get that method to serve as designed, my hat is off to you.

As for ovens ... mine must be cleaned before Christmas and not because anything spilled in it at Thanksgiving ... it's just time to clean it. Mercy. I stay home and it's a good thing because I would do more damage were I to go out in the wider world.

Stay calm and carry on, Mari dear! Oh and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! xoxo

Kim said...

Oh boy! That does not sound like a relaxing few days, Mari. Sometimes it happens, I know we've all been there, but it's never fun when it happens. Glad to hear you're all cleaned up. Here's to an uneventful week!

Terri D said...

Oh my, Mari. Bless your heart!! Reminds me of the time I turned on the oven cleaner and the house filled with smoke and the oven was on fire. I called the fire department. They set up fans to clear the house (yes, the whole house) and I had to get oxygen! All because there was an oil spill on the bottom of the oven. I have never used the automatic oven cleaner since. That was probably 15 years ago! The oven wasn't damaged from the fire. The fireman said they are made for high heat. It was a mess though! I am glad everything worked out and your oven and lights are working now!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Oh my, that was a lot of unexpected things going wrong, but you seem to have had such a good attitude through it all. Sometimes when I have a day like that, I have to laugh at the end of it, because it seems so unbelievable.

Debi said...

Sounds like you had a Murphy's Law weekend... if it can go wrong, it will. I'm glad there weren't any serious injuries or mishaps.