Pages

Monday, December 9, 2019

Making ornaments

Alaina, Ruby and I made some cute ornaments this weekend, a reindeer and a tree.  My friend Peggy has been sending me some cute ideas for things to do with the girls and this was one of them,  It was so easy, and they had great fun!

To make these you need:
cinnamon sticks
small buttons
a star sticker or button
small red jingle bell
wiggle eyes
decorative string for hanging
glue gun

For the reindeer ornament, lay out 3 cinnamon sticks in an upside down A shape, place the stick accross the center further from the point of the A, to make the reindeer face.
Glue the center stick to the outside sticks.


Then put glue on each side stick, and press a wiggly eye on each spot.  Put a dot of glue at the point and press a red jingle bell into the glue.
Last, cut a short piece of string and glue it to the back of the cross stick for hanging.



For the tree, cut cinnamon sticks into various lengths and glue across another cinnamon stick:

so it looks like this.


Glue small buttons to the end of each branch.  (The girls decided that there should be a button on the center of each branch too).
Then glue a star to the top of the tree, and glue a string for hanging to the back of the tree.


 Here they are; 2 trees and 2 reindeers!  They smell good too.



2 happy girls with their ornaments.

15 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Oh what fun! I love these cute ornament ideas. It is so fun to do crafts with the grands. Have a great week!

Terri D said...

Those ornaments are so cute... but not nearly as cute as those girls! I just love the fun you all have together with your creative craft projects!

Laurel Wood said...

A precious idea and I love the scent of cinnamon! I love the photos of Alaina and Ruby!

Kathie said...

I'll be making these with my own kids! Do you use regular glue or a stronger kind? Cheers!

Jean said...

How simple and adorable!! Gotta remember this! Where did you get the cinnamon sticks?

Hootin Anni said...

How fun. And if they're wise, they'd hang on to them, making them a keepsake when THEY have families of their own.

Changes in the wind said...

So simple and yet so cute!

Linda said...

How cool is that!!! Smiles

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

What great ideas and I know the girls had fun.

Mari said...

To answer a few questions - the cinnamon sticks are available in the spice section at the grocery store. Our area sells McCormick spices and they sell a bottle with 6 cinnamon sticks in it.
For glue, I just used a regular hot glue gun.

Kim said...

Oh! I have some of these in my spice cabinet right now!I love that smell, it reminds me cozy Christmas nights!

Jenny the Pirate said...

TOTALLY darling! I'll be doing this with Dagny for sure. You come up with the best (read: easiest, because I am not crafty) little projects to do with the girls! Thanks, Mari xoxo

Judy said...

Those are too cute, and the girls look like they had a lot of fun.

Laura said...

They were so proud - they love doing crafts with Grandma!

Sylvia said...

What a clever and creative grandma!!