Pages

Monday, March 4, 2019

Touring the Grange!

Last week I had such a fun evening!   We've started something at our church that puts women together in a group that meets monthly for 3 months.  We have groups of 6 women, and we try to have a variety of ages.  So often we know people just by name, especially if they are older or younger than us and this is a fun and easy way to get to know people better.
We had a fun time together and are looking forward to next month.  Our group had the privilege of meeting and touring a home that is being renovated.  It began it's life as a Grange Hall.  The Grange was a society of farmers, who organized to promote the economic and political well being of the community.

Here's an old photo of the building.


This is a letter that was written in 1964, telling of the reason for selling the building, as the farmers couldn't afford needed repairs to the roof, chimney, windows...  which came to at least $800.

At this time, it was bought by a man who used the main level as offices.

Here is a more recent photo.  I think it was taken by my friend Jesse who is now the owner.  She and her family have been doing a lot of work here and it is so fun to see all the history inside!

 A cool remnant of fun times remains on the floor downstairs.



And here's a nice old radiator.


There are two bedrooms downstairs.  This one is Jesse's.

This is a guest bedroom.


I love this area.  The old piano has such charm.  Not pictured, across from it is a seating area.


There is a beautiful old staircase.


At the top of the stairs are these wonderful windows with such nice woodwork.


 Don't you love this old bookcase?    It is at the top of the stairs.



This dress belonged to her grandma or great-grandma.  Such a treasure!


 This upper level was open as it was where the meetings were held.  Jesse chose to keep it that way, adding a huge kitchen and seating area.  Don't you love that huge wooden counter?  The bookcase on the right is where the stage was, and she plans to put a master bedroom suite behind the bookcases.


The storage cabinets are beautiful.


This farmhouse sink just adds to the charm.


Tucked along the side is this bathroom.  You can't see it but is has a chandelier hanging.

The surroundings were lovely, the history was wonderful and the fellowship was sweet!

Jesse has a blog about the Grange. You can visit it here.

15 comments:

Joyful said...

What a wonderful idea to put together groups of women for shorter periods so they can get to know one another better. The home you toured is absolutely lovely and will be even more lovely once the renovations are done. I know I'd love to have the long, wooden counter to work on in the kitchen.

Jenny said...

SO gorgeous ... the painted stuff on that wood floor really sends me! The woodwork is beautiful too. And did you notice that the letter was dated March 4, 1964 -- 55 years ago today? xoxo

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

This sounds like a wonderful way to get to know people. I would give up chocolate for a lovely old sink like that!

Hootin Anni said...

How I love it all! Each and every room.

Jean said...

This is so great!! Doing things together with a group of women and this HOUSE!!! I used to dream of buying a church and turning it into a big bed and breakfast! For some reason I don’t dream like that anymore, haha! We have two little churches for sale right here and that thought never came to my mind until I read this post, haha!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

What a fun time together and loved the house you toured. I always enjoy seeing old buildings re-used to the good. The different parts are so beautiful...ie. the staircase, the kitchen cabinets, etc. Thanks for sharing.

Arlene G said...

I enjoy seeing old houses that have been updated and appreciated. I also like the sound of the ladies group at your church. We had a similar group for a three year period and you do become good friends.

Changes in the wind said...

What a fun thing to do with a group and a easy way to get to know each other.

Terri D said...

I just love to see restorations of historical buildings rather than tearing them down! Bless your friend for putting it all together and making that historical and important building into a lovely home. Thanks for sharing!! Our new church has small groups that meet once a month. I'm looking forward to participating soon!!

Sally said...

So beautiful, Mari. I love seeing old buildings and the renovations. The letter dated l964, the year my daughter
was born and yes that means I'm old. :)

xoxo

Kerin said...

Sounds like a nice group of folks that get together and fellowship!
I think it's just great that your friend has saved that building and clearly, she loves it an has an appreciation for the history of that building and the stories it tells.
Thanks for sharing with us and for including the link to her blog, I shall read her blog, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Smiles :)
~K.

Saleslady371 said...

Oh, I bet it's fun to gather with the women like that in small groups! Such a creative idea and I hope you will share more about it in the future too. This tour is interesting and the photos tell so much about the progress.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

HI Mari!
Sorry I've been behind - but was catching up on your recent posts. Love seeing your times with your sweet granddaughters. And it's so fun when you share a day in your life. I love seeing your work and all you do there.

And LOVE this post. I find tours like this so fascinating! I love seeing preserved pieces of the past and visiting old homes or museums like this. It's so fun to learn history like that. Thanks for sharing! Have a blessed week xoxo

Debi said...

What a beautiful place!

Dianna said...

What a fun way to spend time getting to know your sisters-in-Christ! Ane just as wonderful is this piece of history and how it has been made into a beautiful home...rich with history. Thanks so much for sharing with us!