Pages

Sunday, July 27, 2008

High Drama!


We had a great service Sunday. Our church is having an event called "Prayer Wave" this week and it was started on Sunday morning by having the Drama Ministries Ensemble from Northwestern college here. They are a group of students who go all over the country, acting out scenes from the Bible but we were also told there would be a special emphasis on prayer. I was looking forward to this, but was blessed beyond what I had anticipated.
The students started with 4 little plays, taken directly from the Bible - the King James version, no less! One of them was the story of Goliath, which was fun to see. The others were lesser known stories from the Old Testament.
Following this, they did enacted prayer. This is something I've never seen done or heard of, but it was very moving. There were lots of teary eyes and sniffing noses during this section. They take a prayer request from the audience and act out what has been happening and what is being asked. These prayers can be requests, praise or thanks and we had some of each. The thing that really moved me was the fact that they have about three people on stage who are portraying God at work in these requests. Too often I tend to put God in a box and think of Him listening to our prayers and answering them, but this portrayed Him right there with the people and actively working in the answering of the prayer. Of course - that is what He does and I needed that reminder.
If you ever hear that this drama team is in your area, I would strongly recommend seeing them. You will be blessed.


post signature

11 comments:

Cherdecor said...

We had a group from New York come to our church last month and they acted out stories of the Bible using only verses from the King James Bible. We didn't get to see them but I am wondering if they did the same kind of thing. We missed it!

Rebekah said...

Wow, I wish I could have seen that. It sounds incredible. Hmmmm, maybe I'll see if I can find them on Youtube

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed it too.
Wasn't Arianna cute when she did her little part in the service!

Terri said...

Sounds interesting. Are you having this next week Sunday too?

Melissa said...

I believe this was the second time I've seen this group. They were great! I really liked how they portrayed the prayers.

Earen said...

Wow, that sounds really neat. I'm glad you had the opportunity to see that!

Saija said...

sounds like it was a blessing all around ... :o)

Anonymous said...

I will check them out, sounds fantastic.

A Stone Gatherer said...

sounds awesome! Sorry we missed that!

Sandra said...

Sounds great Mari :)

Shelly said...

I missed it! :(