Pages

Monday, July 21, 2008

Dog Days!


We're in the middle of it, people! Yes - it's the Dog Days of Summer! I don't know about where you live, but it's been hot here in Michigan! (I'm really not complaining much - I do remember the winter we had!) Here are a few dog day facts for you:
  • There are 40 dog days each summer
  • the Dog Days run from July 3 to August 11
  • They are named after Sirius, the Dog Star which shines most brightly during this period
  • The ancient Romans and Greeks believed the star was responsible for the heat
  • The dog Days are often responsible for bad hair days!
Of course, we all know that the Dog Days used to be much more difficult to tolerate and still are in many areas of the world. I must say that I am quite thankful for Willis Haviland Carrier, who in 1906 received a patent for his Apparatus for Treating Air, a.k.a. the first air conditioner!


post signature

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Mari, where to you come up with all your wisdom?? & such cute pictures. I like the heat but it does play havoc on my hair. Its called fuzz head.

Mary said...

Mari,

Yes, we are in the dog days of summer and I too remember the winter we had. It was beautiful here the beginning of July but we've just had a week of very high humidity. It ended on Saturday when a thunderstorm moved in. It was hot but not so humid today. After I cleaned up the dog collection, I cleaned up the side porch a little. I still have work to do there, but at least it's started.

Thanks for posting on my Tackle it Tuesday post. I feel much better now that the area looks clean.

Blessings,
Mary

Earen said...

Amen, to that! Love my swamp cooler!! That's a cute picture.

Shelly said...

I also have to say that my hair does a wonderful thing in this heat, NOT! LOL

I agree with Nanc, where do you come up with this stuff?

I am thankful for Willis too. I enjoy the fact that we can get cooler if we need to. Also, I wonder who invented the swimming pool. I am also thankful for that too.

Cherdecor said...

I love that picture! That is Alan's favorite kind of dog. It has been hot here too!

Terri said...

I love that picture - looks like me in front of the fan!

AlaneM said...

Amen to that...I just wish I had one!

The Birds Nest said...

I'm with you!! I don't know what I would do without air conditioning!!