Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2026

Just popping in!

Hi friends!  I've missed you all but have been reading posts. I've gotten a few messages checking to make sure all is well here, so thought I'd put up a little post to share what's been happening.

First, we had a little getaway with Alaina and Ruby. We had a marvelous time and I'll share pics of that later.

The next week was VBS. Our theme was Psalm 23 and it was set in Ireland. We did lots and lots of work on the decor and here's a few pics.

The hallway had these areas with verses from Psalm 23






There were cute little sheep all over!






Here's the entrance.  Do you see the castle behind the table?




It's made of lots of appliance boxes, covered in plastic wrap that looks like stone. The kids loved going through it to their classes.





This was my job there for several days - and it was quiet.  Bob was doing security, something that's needed now and thankfully, it was quiet for him as well.






Nothing else was quiet though - and that's good.  The kids had fun and heard the greatest story ever. We adults had fun too!






And - this is the reason for the continued break.  I've been working on a family history book.  I have photos going way back, lots of documents and then these....  These are all letters my Dad wrote to my mom when he was in the army. I have all the photos and documents put into a book which will be printed. I had originally thought I would scan the letters to put in, but after nearly 70 years, they don't have the quality to scan. So, I am typing them up and it takes a lot of time!  I decided that unless I really buckled down and got to it, I would never finish. 

I'm making progress, but the blog break continues!  Thanks to those who checked in with me.




One more thing!  Happy 4th to my friends in the USA. I'm thankful for my country. It may not be perfect but I'm so glad to live here.


Hope to see you all soon!




43 comments:

Donna said...

Oh goodness! I also have a bunch of letters my parents wrote to each other during the war... He was Navy.
Happy 250th!!
hugs
Donna

Linda said...

I do miss those VBS days, smiles. Happy 4th of July, Mari. smiles

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Your vacation Bible school decor is the best I've ever seen, Mari! I so enjoyed helping out with ours when our oldest granddaughter was little and they were living near us. Great memories! And that's a daunting task to transcribe those letters. More power to you! I know your children and grandchildren will be grateful that you did. Happy Fourth!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

WOW! YOU HAVE been busy! That project with the letters, etc., sounds like a big one, but how wonderful to be able to have those precious letters and to put them into a book is such a great idea! And I LOVE the VBS decor, theme, etc. That looks like it was a lot of work, but I know the kids loved it! And I saw some of your photos on facebook of your trip with the girls. Looks like you had a wonderful time! So many blessings!!!! Happy 4th of July!

Prims By The Water said...

You sure have been a busy beaver. Those sheep are adorable and so was that paper chain tree. What talent. Happy 250th birthday to America! Janice

Joyful in His Presence said...

Hello there . Good to see your post. Thanks for checking in. That's a monumental task you have before you but you are preserving history. You go, Girl!

Chatty Crone said...

Good to see what you have been up too. Happy 4th!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

So understandable you busy bee! Your church comes up with the coolest ideas for VBS! Love it!! And wow, what an undertaking. I commend you dear Mari. I think that is amazing you are doing that! You know I'm such a legacy and scrapbook person. Your family will be so grateful for your efforts!! Soldier on brave Gal. Lol Sending you all blessings for a wonderful holiday weekend ahead. 💙❤️💙❤️

Susan said...

Hi Mari, so nice to hear from you! Your VBS pictures are great! Nice that you are working on your family history. I do miss your visits to my blog. Have a great 4th of July!

Miss Merry said...

What an amazing VBS!!
Good for you to buckle down and work on that project. I have a few projects like that waiting for me.

Terri D said...

I knew you were taking a break that started with your get-away with Alaina and Ruby, but didn't know about VBS or the family history book you are working on! What a wonderful, but time consuming project, Mari! It's so great that you are putting that together. Your annual books are so well done and will be treasures for years and years to come. What a blessing you are!! Thanks for sharing and keep us posted as you can! xo

photowannabe said...

Mari, I am so happy to see this update post. I have missed you and your wonderful posts.
Wow, that VBS is awesome. It really reminds me of all the work we used to do at our former church. Those sheep and the castle are so clever.
Dave and I have been trying to do some of the family history too. Its a lot of work but so worth it.
Press on and I am looking forward to seeing some photos of the finished products.
Sue

Lori said...

All of the photos from VBS look amazing!! Glad it was a successful week. The family book sounds like it will be awesome. Good luck with your project, I have a few of those myself I need to really get busy on. Happy 4th of July!!

🌺 Debby/From My Shasta Home said...

What a creative VBS with so many cute displays - you must have been in charge of that. How precious to have all those letters your dad wrote to your mom while he was in the service. What a treasure.

Kim Carberry said...

How wonderful to have a little getaway and what fantastic decor!Those sheep are just adorable and the castle is so cool!
Oh wow! How amazing to have all those letters that your dad wrote to your mom!

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Hi dear Mari, it looks like an amazing time! I love all your photos, dear friend! I am glad that your post appeared in my Blogger news reader. This heat has been making me tired, so my responses to posts have been late.
I am very happy to see this update, dear friend. Thank you so much for sharing!

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear Mari, I just wanted to add this comment as well. Wow, that is certainly a lot of letters! I am very happy that you are working on your family tree! I am also doing this with my cousins, but they have gotten further than I have, which is why I am so glad to be able to compare notes with them and to learn more! It is important, not just for history, but for health as well.
Your post and photos have brought me much joy today, I just wanted to mention this.
I made a personal post update today on my blog, but I of course have no idea when it will show up on the Blogger news reader. LOL! I had not done one in quite a while, so I thought it would be good to update everyone on how things are going on my end.
I hope you have a lovely weekend, and thank you so much for sharing this post!

Chrissy T said...

Oh, what a wonderful idea. A family history book. I love it. The VBS decor looks wonderful!

Barbara said...

"The 23rd Psalm in Ireland", how very clever, and the decorations are super! I like the tree with the green chains of construction paper. All so nice!

HappyK said...

You've been busy!! Great VBS theme. We have Bible Time at my church the second week in July.
That is a lot of work making the family book but should be a treasure when finished.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Hurrah, I am so glad to see you, it is a nice surprise!!! VBS looks amazing! I love the tree made from paper chains, the castle, the sheep, the well. You have a big project ahead of you! I am hoping of pics of your 4th!

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks for this update ... you have been busy.
Have a Happy 4th of July.
My good wishes.

All the best Jan

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari! Your VBS looks like lots of fun! It's nice to see what you've been up to. Have a very happy 4th of July! See you again soon!

Deb J. in Utah said...

P.S. I think the family history book you are making is a wonderful idea! It's a lot of work, but what a treasure for generations to come!

Billie Jo said...

Hello!!!!! We all sure miss you around here, my friend! Thanks for checking in. Everything looks so nice and I love the project you are working on. Happy Fourth of July!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

Since I am on a break also, I did not realize you were missing. Just checking in to say hello. That is a HUGE job, typing all those letters and making a book is a real job too. I made a couple years ago and it is time consuming. Happy day after the 4th

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oooooh a project! I love it! That's going to be such a precious thing when you're finished. Love the Ireland theme for VBS too! If there'd been a Blarney Stone, I would've kissed it like any good Irish pirate, hahaha! xoxo

R's Rue said...

Miss you. Enjoy your project. Await your return. God bless you.

The Happy Whisk said...

Love the castle and excellent on working on your book. Very, very, very cool. Happy July!

Catherine said...

You did a great job! 👏 it’s such a good idea for your family story.

Jean said...

Wow, Mari!!!!!!! First of all the VBS set-up!! And the history you are writing is fantastic!! God bless you for doing this! While we sisters were in Idaho we listened to two interviews I did with our dad in the months before his death in 2009. We never listened to them before, and it was extremely touching.

Aritha V. said...

It’s so good to hear from you again, and I’m glad all is well. Your VBS decorations look wonderful — I love the Psalm 23 theme, and all those little sheep and the castle must have made it so special for the children.

And what a precious project you are working on with your family history book. Typing out your dad’s old letters sounds like a lot of work, but also such a beautiful way to preserve those memories. Take your time — that kind of treasure is worth the effort.


Jeanette said...

Sounds like a worthwhile break!

Kim said...

Wow Mari, you have been busy! VBS looks amazing! I remember attending one week when I was really little at a friend's church and it was nothing like that! You guys go all out!!

Kay G. said...

Look at all those letters you have, from your Dad to your Mom! We have our letters that we wrote to each as pen pals, my husband and I. Wonder if our son will put them in a book? I absolutely love Vacation Bible School!! Loved it as a kid and loved teaching it too.

Veronica Lee said...

Great to catch up with you, Mari!
The VBS theme looks amazing, and I can just imagine the kids loving that castle.
Your family history project sounds incredible--can’t wait to hear more when you’re ready.

Neuer Gartentraum said...

Die Dekoration für die Kinderbibelwoche ist grandios. Da hast du etwas Großes geleistet. Aber die Arbeit hat sich gelohnt. Sicher waren alle begeistert. Hier gibt es so etwas nicht. Zu Weihnachten wird ein Krippenspiel vorgeführt, das wars. Richtiger Kindergottesdienst wird auch nicht mehr angeboten. Ich weiß noch, wie gern ich als Kind in den Gottesdienst gegangen bin. Das ist alles vorbei. Die Zeit hat sich geändert.

Chrissy T said...

Hello Mari! I know you have been busy! I just wanted to pop by and check in and make sure all is well! Hugs!

Jean said...

Hi Mari, just stopping by to say "hi."

Cathy said...

All you must say is VBS and I understand!😊Blessings!

Shug said...

I have been keeping up with you and wow...what an exciting Summer you have had... I've actually been amazed at all the wonderful things you all have done and have seen... VBS...my favorite part of summer...

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Mari, what a lovely update. Your Ireland‑themed VBS looked absolutely magical — the castle, the sheep, the verses, all so thoughtfully done. I’m glad the week went smoothly and the kids had such a wonderful time. Your family history project sounds like a true labor of love; typing all those letters must be slow work, but what a precious gift it will be. Wishing you steady progress and a joyful 4th.

Nicole Orriëns said...

The decor looks absolutely lovely! I'm amazed you all made that together.