Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2026

I'm back!

 Hi friends!  I'm back after an extended break. I've missed blogging but have tried to keep up with you all at your blogs even though I haven't done much commenting. I just couldn't do all the commenting and still get done what I was trying to do.

While I was gone, we took a little vacation with Alaina and Ruby, and then I worked like crazy to finish a family history book.  So, now I'm going to share a little so I can catch you up.  Before I do that, I have to share what's been going on in our area recently.  We've had a heat wave, a lettuce parasite and now the smoke issue!


Haha!  So this little meme has been making the rounds in our area. You have to laugh, right?  I know some of you have also had these issues in your areas.


I have heard they found the cause of the parasitic lettuce, linked to lettuce from Taco Bell.  I haven't eaten there in ages, so I think I'm safe!

The heat is supposed to be a little better this week.  You know, we Northern folk are pretty wimpy about heat and on Friday our heat index made it to 108 degrees!   :)

Hopefully the fires in Canada will be stopped.  It's incredible to me how far that smoke spreads and how bad it is, this far away.  I've been inside most of the time, as are most people. It's kind of strange, because no one is out walking or biking and kids aren't out playing. Most outdoor activities have been cancelled and lots of parks with trails were closed.



This is why everything was closed.  Look at that horrible air quality alert!  On Thursday they said that Michigan had the worst air quality on the whole planet!  

I did go out for a short time in the car to get some photos so you could see what it looks like around here.



This is around the corner from our house.





Another spot not far from us.  The visibility was under a mile all day on Thursday.  Friday was a little better in the morning, but in the afternoon it got worse again.





This is the Grand River, near our house.








Do you see the sun?
That's all for now. Tomorrow I'll share some of the things we did while I was on break.

21 comments:

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Welcome back, dear Mari.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dearvl Mari, your photos are beautiful. Yes, I see the sun 🌞 ☀️
As far as the wildfires go, thank God we are getting help. 18 firefighters 🚒 from a few states in New England are here, they came this weekend. And we are also getting help from people in France 🇫🇷 They are all here in Quebec to help. I am extremely grateful 🙏 🥲 to them.

Kay G. said...

Oh no, it does look so smoky! Hope it clears up and cools down for you soon. Glad you're back!

R's Rue said...

Welcome back my friend.

Terri D said...

Oh my gosh, Mari!! That smoke is so much worse than the Sarahan dust we had a week ago! This has sure been a summer of highs and higher highs. Now we have a tropical storm brewing in the Gulf. Doesn't matter where you live, I think. It's always something! Welcome back!! I've missed you and can't wait to read all about your adventures!! xo

Shug said...

I've been missing you but I know you have had a full summer so far. It's good to take a break and to try to get caught up with needs around the house....I know for me, that I always have flowerbeds that need attention during the summer months... Hope your week is full of all good things..

Acorn Hollow said...

We have had that smoke too. So bad for the lungs. We have had some heat but there have been amazing days too.
Summer is slipping by fast. As far as the lettuce they are saying it is coming from certain farms so I have stopped eating it for now.
Cathy

Martha Jane Orlando said...

So glad you're back, Mari! Oh, that smoke is horrible for so many millions both in the States and in Canada. I sure hope they can get it under control sooner than later. Stay cool and hydrated!

🌺 Debby/From My Shasta Home said...

Welcome back.
Oh I know how detrimental that smoke can be. After 10 summers of smoke during repeated wildfires I developed scarring in my lungs. I just can't be out in it anymore. Mask up or just don't go out. Terrible.
I'm really interested in your family history book for your family. I'm thinking about doing this for just my two sons and I want it to be nice.

Miss Merry said...

Glad you are back! It's crazy out there!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh Mari! As much as you enjoy the outdoors, it's a good thing that you like being at home too because it looks like for the foreseeable future, that's where you should stay! As for the lettuce thing ... did you hear that now today they're walking that back and pretending that they have NO IDEA where the cyclospora parasite is coming from? Really???? Meanwhile our sister-in-law who lives in Michigan got the parasite and has been awfully sick. As far as I know she did not eat at Taco Bell but I haven't talked to her so I don't know if she bought Taylor Farms lettuce and ate it at home. But hey! Now they're saying that's not it, so who knows? I know that even though we don't have the smoke thing and it's NOT AS HOT here as where you are (although it is murderous hot/humid here), I will worry about produce and won't be eating any, any time soon, hahahaa! Can't wait to read about y'all's adventure with Alaina and Ruby! xoxo 🥬🏴‍☠️

Jeanette said...

Welcome back! The smoke was pretty bad here too! I remember the smoke from the last few years but I don't remember it being so stinky! I think I had a constant low grade headache for two days! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

photowannabe said...

Welcome back to Blogland. I sure missed you. Looking forward to hearing all about your trip with the Grands.
That smoke is just terrible. The poor Canadians. The wildfires are awful. I remember when further up North from us in CA we had the same issues. You could even taste the air and it permenated everything.
Stay safe.
Sue

Kim Carberry said...

Welcome back. It sounds like you have a good break from your blog.
We had heat over the last month or so but nothing like you have had and I don't think the diarrhoea lettuce is a think here in England. Phew! Those fires sound awful and it looks so bad with you.

Barbara said...

WELCOME BACK, MARI! and I sincerely mean that. I've missed you but have known you were doing what you wanted and needed to do.

The smoke: you have my sincere sympathies. We had a similar experience some 10-12 years ago in Colorado. It is eery, odd and downright uncomfortable. Orange skies and we could look directly at the sun without hurting our vision. As for breathing, not outside!!!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

So nice to have you back Mari! You know I feel ya on all counts my soul Sister - as we are practically neighbors. So over the heat and smoke most of all. Summer is so fleeting and having to be trapped in our homes wasn't on my bingo card(as they say) for this summer ending. I hope it all gets better soon for all of our sakes! Stay cool! xo💗

HappyK said...

Welcome back. Looks really bad with the smoke by you. We have some but not that bad.

Ginny Hartzler said...

We have had the same thing here, Heat, bad air, and poisoned lettuce. Kind of the summer of a bad trio. I posted photos of our air, but of course yours looks worse! I'm so glad you are back, I missed you!

Lowcarb team member said...

Welcome back.
We have seen pictures of the fires and smoke on our UK news ... it's so bad, do hope it clears soon.
Take care.

All the best Jan

Pamela M. Steiner said...

OH my, that smoke is terrible! We've had forest fires before in our area and I know how bad that air can be to breathe. I do hope it will soon dissipate and that the fires will be gone. So glad you are back home again. Take care and stay safe!!!

Michelle said...

Glad to have you back! Your air quality looks terrible!