Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Cooking Thursday

 I made something new last week that's perfect for Fall and Winter.  This is a recipe a friend at work shared after telling us how much her family enjoyed it.  It combines chili and cornbread in a casserole and was very tasty!




(I shared another pic so you could see what this looks like under the cornbread)

Chili Cornbread Casserole
1 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
1 can dark, red kidney beans, drained
8 ounces tomato sauce

Cornbread topping
8.5 ounce box corn muffin mix
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
8 ounces cream style corn
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 2 quart baking dish with non-stick spray. 
Brown ground beef with onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt.
Stir in Rotel, kidney beans and tomato sauce and pour into baking dish.
Cornbread:
Combine corn muffin mix. egg, milk, cream corn and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese.
Pour over beef mix. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
Bake 30 minutes or until cornbread is browned and cooked through.
Serve with your favorite chili toppings.


*Next time I make this I will put it in a 7x11 pan, as it took quite a bit of extra time to get the cornbread done in the casserole.


17 comments:

roentare said...

It is something I would enjoy very much in winter!

Ginny Hartzler said...

So comforting; perfect for a cold winter night.

Catherine said...

It looks so good for a winter meal!

Hootin Anni said...

Chili for me...cornbread, not so much. I've made something similar using crushed nacho chips for toppings

KEV. Robertson. said...

Looks delicious Mari - I could make a dish like it- the recipe seems so simple- thanks for posting. Stay warm with all the Snow. Regards. KEV.

Suemn said...

Hi Mari, I'm going to save this recipe for something to try in the next few weeks. It certainly sounds good to me. I like cornbread but never make it so this is a perfect recipe for making it. I'll use the 7x11 pan as you recommended. Thanks!

Unknown said...

This was my favorite dish growing up, but we called it kidney beef pie. I used to request it for my birthday dinner every year!

Debby said...

My mom used to make a similar casserole and called it Tamale pie.

Billie Jo said...

Oh. My. Goodness. Thank you for sharing this!!!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I have always wanted to try making something like this! Thanks for sharing. ;) I did one last cooking thursday post for now too. Now signing off for the holidays. Blessings dear Mari! Look for more e-cards though. 🎄 🌟 xoxo

Terri D said...

That looks and sounds really good. Thanks for the tip on switching baking dishes. I think I will try this while my sister is here! Yum!

Kim said...

Mmm...I love cornbread. And chili! Thanks for sharing!!

Connie said...

Mary, I wasn't hungry until I came visiting your blog. I love chili and I love corn bread . . . this looks like the right meal for a long cold winters night :) Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer said...

This looks delish! And like something we would really enjoy here at my house. Adding that to my menu plans for the next couple of weeks! Thanks:)

Sally said...


That's something I could really dig into. Thanks for the recipe! We've been having chili nights every Wednesday and that's when we see Hunter. Did you know Britt and the two littles are staying here; she's divorced,remarried and having a baby girl on December 30. Yep, it's been a thrill a minute.LOL

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh Mari this is wonderful! There's nothing much better than chili with cornbread! Duly copied. xoxo

Jean said...

I have tried this a few times, but I always seem to end up with more cornbread than chili and it's dry. Maybe this recipe would get it right.