Pages

Monday, August 2, 2021

A Day in my Life - August

I see posts from some of you that you are so happy that August is here.  I'm not agreeing with you.  I'm kind of sad.  Summer seems to go so quickly and bnefore we know it, it's September and the cool weather is back.  But, I guess I need to just enjoy August before I worry about winter, right?

Here's how the first day of August went for me.  It fell on an Sunday and usually I don't have to work on Sunday.  However, this was my week to be on call and we had to let a nurse go.  That's never fun, and it also means someone needs to fill in.  It's made for a long week of working and will end up being 8 days in a row of work before I get a day off.  Thankfully, some of our other nurses have stepped up and worked extra, plus we already have some people interested in this position.  So, that explains, why I had to go in and work the floor on Sunday.

I was working on our Rehab side on this day.  This is where people come to have physical therapy, wound treatments, IV antibiotics... after being hospitalized before they are strong enough to go home.  It tends to be very busy, with admissions, discharges and often people who are pretty sick.  The shift starts at 6:30, but because I knew it was going to be a busy day I was there a little after 6.
I got report from the nurse going off, and we have to count down all narcotics.  That takes about 30 minutes.  After that it's time to pass meds, do some treatments, pass some more meds, try to get some charting done, talk to families, answer the phone...   You get the picture!   It was a very busy day with no time for a lunch break.  I ate some yogurt at the desk while trying to chart.  In the middle of the busy is fun though.  One little lady came back by the nurses station and started typing on the key board.  I asked if she was going to do my work and she said "No!  You have to do your own work!"  There are a few men there at the moment that like to sit an talk in the common area and they love it when I tease them.  We did a lot of laughing!
Shortly before the end of my shift, we got an admission so I ended up staying late.  I left about 4:15.




It was a beautiful day and there were families visiting their loved ones on the patio.




Driving home, I enjoyed the wild flowers blooming in the fields.





And - like the good farmers daughter that I am, I enjoyed seeing the corn growing so tall and looking healthy!




Near my house is this barn I've admired through the years.  It's been sold and is being taken down, which is sad for me, but I guess it's better to reuse it than to let it fall down.



I got home and read the church bulletin and the paper, and then it was time for supper.

I had pulled pork in the crock pot, and Bob and I sat out on the porch to eat.  He was making faces at me as I attempted to take this picture, so I told him to just look ahead and ignore me.   :)  The sun was shining, the sky was blue, the food was good and so was the company.  


We came in and watched a new BBC show that one of you mentioned - Death in Paradise.  It's a mystery show set in the Bahamas and we've been really enjoying it.
Then we did a little reading  and headed off to bed a little before 10, so we would be ready for work the next day.

Looking forward to August!


19 comments:

Jean said...

What a day! And such a long stretch ahead of you. The Lord bless you and give you strength!

That porch photo is just the BEST!!

Ginny Hartzler said...

You are surely one of the angels out there, helping others who need it!!! I wish I had started watching this show, but have not seen it. We do like BBC though. The pretty purple flowers look a bit like lavender.

Laurel Wood said...

Another busy and long day for you. I love the wildflowers you photographed. On The way home. I wonder what they will do with the salvaged barn wood. I know the two of you enjoyed the pulled pork sandwich on your pretty porch.

Hootin Anni said...

August is a nasty month in south Texas...hurricane season picks up. Love the corn fields & wild flowers. And most of all Bob...barefooted and all. 😊

Hope work for you becomes less stressful. Soon.

Arlene G said...

Bless your heart, Mari....hope you find a good nurse to bring on board soon.

Sparky said...

What a nice day y'all had! That makes me smile too. You take the nicest pictures. I hope the new Nurse works out and the work load slows down a bit for ya.
Our Summer's are so brutal. That's why we always look forward to Fall, Winter & Spring but dread the Summer months. Every place has it's not-so-nice times of the year, I'm sure.
Thanks for sharing your day.
Blessings. xx

Doris said...

I agree, summer always goes by too fast!! Determined to enjoy every bit of August along with you 😊
You did have a busy first day. Hope your long stretch of working days will go by quickly. Even though it's been 11 yrs since I've been employed, I remember! That part I do not miss.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I'm with you. I hate to see the end of summer. I go back to school next Monday and am not looking forward to it. I love these posts you do and how you always find a way to have fun - even on the busiest of days. Hope you are having a good week, and that you finally got a day off.

Changes in the wind said...

What a work load you carry. Hope you get the nurse position filled soon. I guess how you feel about the season depends on where you live. Here in Arizona the three months are scorchers and also hard on the pocketbook where our winters are mind and more enjoyable.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Waving hand... I'm not glad that August is here! I do not want to miss any part of this summer! Love Autumn, but do not want to hurry it! -smile-

Having gotten *The Jab* so we could go out to eat a bit, during this still-summer-to-me, I do not want to hurry it. Even though, we do continue to drive a bit, until snow flies.....

I feel *The Powers That Be* will grow weary of not having *Iron Fisted Control* over Citizens, and will bring back *Dranconian Rules* again. They just love to Give Orders!!!!!!

OH MERCY!!!! That was an awfully long day! How can they expect you to be on-top-of-your-game, with all those hours and all that to do! -sigh-

Sorry you are losing the barn view. But oh yes, so wonderful its wood, will be reused and continue to "live."

Ohhhhh, you watched "Death In Paradise" for the first time!!!!!! I'm the one who has been rattling on, about this show. -grin-

Would love to know which Season you are watching.... It has run for a long time, and there were many changes in the cast. We have our favorites. -smile-

🌼🍑💛🍑🌼

Anne Payne said...

Now that's a long day, for sure. Thank you for being a frontline worker!!
Death in Paradise is one we really enjoyed. Have you seen Miss Scarlett and the Duke?

Sally said...

You're a remarkable lady and nurse. I always enjoy (when I'm home) your first of the month blogs. I cannot believe either that August is here; the other day I was in a store and low & behold HALLOWEEN displays. What? Crazy is what.

Your front porch looks so inviting, Mari! :)

xoxo

Suemn said...

Boy, you sure had a full day. It tired me out just reading about it. ha! I like "Death in Paradise" too.

Jeanette said...

I agree! Summers go byway too fast! Sounds like a good day at work in spite of being busy!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I always love these day in your life. So sorry you had such a long stretch! You are an Angel for all you do!! Love the countryside pics and barn. It is so sad it has to be torn down. Your new front porch looks beautiful!! Yes, I promise I am treasuring these final summer days too. Lol ☀️ 😊

Terri D said...

Oh!! I love Death In Paradise! So glad you are enjoying it! Mari, you had a very busy day... eight days! Bless you and all nurses. Your porch is perfect for enjoying a meal on a beautiful August day! Love & hugs!

Debi said...

Such a busy day, you must have been so tired at the end. I want to enjoy the last days of summer, I love fall but I'm not yet ready for it.

LL Cool Joe said...

I know what you mean about summer coming to an end and the depressing thing here in the UK we've had terrible weather. Non stop rain which even for England has been unusual.

You had another busy day but full of joy too.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Another super busy day for you, but thank God for friends to joke around with, pulled pork in crock pots, beautiful weather, a wonderful porch to sit on (it's only missing one thing: me), and your beloved to hang out with! xoxo