Pages

Monday, January 6, 2020

A day in my life, January!

It's 2020!  I must admit that makes me feel old.  It seems not too long ago that it changed over to 2000.
I had a very nice New Years Day.  I had the day off and wasn't on call, we had no plans for the day, so I got a lot done.

My plan was to not set the alarm and sleep in.  However, I was woken by my phone beeping shortly before 8.  I was put on a group text by people at work, and they were all saying Happy New Year!  I got up to check it, and was glad that was all it was.  Usually when I get lots of messages, something is going on at work.

We had a lot of snow on New Years Eve, but New Years Day had no snow, and clear blue skies, although it was very cold.

Here's our back yard in the morning.  It's good to see the sun!

I had a nice, calm morning.  I got up, did some reading, checked the computer and had breakfast.


I did some work on the Bible Study I am participating in.


Then I spent some time on this book.  For the last few years, Laura has given us a jar filled with photos and pictures the girls have drawn the year before.  Every day we can take out a new picture.  I then put them into an album, and as you can see, I was a bit behind!  I got them sorted and into the book - now we are ready to start our new jar.



Bob was busy working on a little organizer that lets you tip out those fake fronts by your sink and store scrubbing tools there.  He got it all put together for me, then did some cleaning of his own, in his shop.



I did some cleaning, including cleaning the tub.


January always makes me want to sort and clean.  As I put the Christmas things away, it's a good time to clean things out and make room for any new items.
The room we have for the girls, tends to be a catch all, and it needed a good clean out.


I started with this closet.  It holds my wrapping paper, office supplies, decorating things, serving pieces and other kitchen things, and some toys.  It took some time, and it's still full, but at least it's organized.



Then I worked on the girls bookcase and toy storage.



Last, I cleaned out this armoire, which was quite a mess!




 I ended up with 2 bags of stuff to be donated.  Here's one bag, ready to go.
Bob came with me and we drove them to our local Love, in the name of Christ.  It's a place that takes and sells donations to help people when they are going through various problems.



The donation room is usually open all the time, but for some reason, when we arrived, everything was locked up.  So, I'll have to stop another time.


 When I got home, I got a pot of soup going.  It was really good, and I'll share the recipe with you later.



The evening was quiet and relaxing.  We watched a little tv and read.
It was a good start to the new year!

14 comments:

Terri D said...

This post is so different from your usual first-day posts from work! I'm glad you had the day off but it looks like you worked hard doing all those clean-out projects! Wow! I am looking forward to recipe day and finding out about that soup! Yum!

Joyful said...

Happy New Year Mari! You got a lot done for your first day of the New Year. It's always great to have time and motivation to declutter and tidy. It makes one enjoy the days more when things are organized. Have a wonderful week ahead.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Everything looks so neat and organized. I agree with you. Clean and organized is the best way to start the new year!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

You certainly got a lot accomplished.
I'm also looking forward to finding out what's in that yummy looking soup you had on the stove.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

While reading this post, I was glad to see you did some things for you and not work. Cleaning out and sorting is work but a different kind. I look forward to the recipe for the soup. Have a nice Tuesday.

Arlene G said...

Like you I am cleaning and donating Mari. I have decided that if I do not use it, it is going to the local thrift store that benefits missions. So it is a Win Win.

Linda said...

I agree with Terri, this post as so different, but I liked it, smiles.

Please tell us more about the study/book you are working on.

Clean and organized is what we are doing as well, smiles...never thought to really document it, LOL.

Have a great day, Mari, smiles.

Changes in the wind said...

Cleaning and organizing is good for the soul:) and like you my thoughts turned to 2000 and how worried everyone was about the computers.

Michelle said...

Glad you had a day at home. Your job always sounds very busy. I did some cleaning after Christmas too. Always enjoy having a clean house. Doesn’t last long!

Hootin Anni said...

Sounds to me like a terrific way to start the new year. You both did so much, and accomplished a lot. Now, is that an antique typewriter in the one photo? Awesome!!!!!

Debi said...

so nice that you had the day off and you got so much accomplished! Happy New Year!

Jean said...

I have enjoyed catching up with you on these past two posts! Isn't it so much fun to get things organized and to get rid of extra stuff?? Last week I was working on my choir cabinet. I have so many other places to work on.

Annie said...

I'm so glad I found your blog! I too love spending time in January organizing and cleaning, it really feels like the perfect time for it. I also just recently went through "Lies Women Believe"! It's so good! I read it about 12 years and decided I needed to read it again last year. I'm looking forward to browsing your past posts and reading your current ones! :)

Jenny the Pirate said...

Ugh I hate the way useless (to me) things accumulate. You did a good job organizing all that stuff. I should follow suit. But not today. Haahahaha xoxo