Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2019

A Day in my life

February is here!  The last week of January was one for the books, and my first day was a little different than usual.
I ended up starting the first day of February at work.  We had a night nurse call in for Thursday night and there was no one to replace her, so after working until 6, I was back at work at 12am.

Sorry for the blurry shot, but here's my car in the parking lot at work.  We've been dealing with the polar vortex and although it was warmer than the night before, my thermostat still said -2 degrees!  But, at least it wasn't snowing.


 Here's the view of the building as I walked from the parking lot.



 One of the things I needed to work on that night was switching all the paper work over for the new month.  New med sheets, treatments sheets and Dr orders all need to be put in their respective books and the old one filed in the charts.  That takes a little time.
It was a busy night, we felt like it was a full moon.  On the side I was working 2 ladies were up all night.  One was quite agitated and trying to go into other peoples room because she thought they had taken her things.  She was quite feisty, hitting and kicking us when we tried to divert her, and then said she was calling the police because we were throwing bed bugs at her! We finally were able to get her to her own room to see her things and she settled down - but still didn't sleep.


At 7am, I gave report to the oncoming nurse and then we have a whole routine for counting narcotics to ensure there is no theft.  That takes about 30 minutes.  I then went to my office to get a few things done.  I left a little after 9.


 Everything looked like it had been frosted as I drove home,


I went to bed at 10:30am, and planned to sleep till about 2:30.  I couldn't sleep for terribly long or my sleep would be messed up in the night.


When I got up at 2:30, I was greeted with sunshine!  We hadn't seen that all week.  I took this picture out of our dining room window.

I did a few dishes and paid bills and then Bob came home about 4:30.

He was worried about all the snow on the roof, because a warm up and rain was coming, and all that snow would be very heavy if it got rained on.

Here he is, using a snow rake to pull some of it down.


Then he crawled up on the roof, and used a little electric shovel to get more of it off.



While he was doing that, I wandered around a took a few pictures.  Our gate is not able to be opened because of all the snow.


It's so nice to see the sun again!

I was happy when Bob was down from the roof, mission accomplished and him in one piece.
We had Stromboli's for supper, and then had a quiet relaxing evening.
Thanks for joining me on my day.

9 comments:

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Awwww, the job of a nurse/administrator! Sounds like an unusually busy night but glad you were able to make it and rest the next day. I remember times like that....way back when! The snow is beautiful.

CAROLDEE said...

Sounds like you had your hands full for sure. Pullling another shift goes faster if you are though. Using electric shovel on the roof..genious!Have to remember that one! 👍 Glad we all made it through that vortex..Hope it does not return for many years to come. Have a great February!

Arlene G said...

Oh Bob on the roof was pretty scary with all that snow. Glad he made it ok. Bless your heart, that is a lot of work for one day! Hope you have had an easier time at work lately.

Kerin said...

What a day you had..whew!
Happy to know that the sun came out and that Bob was safe on the roof, removing the snow. That was nerve-wracking for you, for certain.
I hope that this new week is a great one for you. Wishing more sunny days for you all :)

Smiles :)
~K.

Doris said...

I always enjoy hearing about your first day. Your cold and snow was brutal!! So glad there will be some relief this week. I know the feelings of nervousness about some of the jobs our men do....Dale does some fixing of things that I just cannot watch!

Dianna said...

Mari, I know it has to be God's grace and strength carrying you through times like you had recently...especially with patients who get feisty.

I know how you feel about that relief when Bob was down from the roof...all in one piece. Carroll still gets up on our roof. He does take much more caution now than he did the day he fell off our roof. That having to sit around for six weeks kind of had a good effect on him! :)

Jenny said...

Oh dear, I HATE it when TG goes up on the roof. And it's never for snow, only for leaves. Anyway, I'm just sure I'll someday be the old lady accusing good people of pelting me with bedbugs. *sigh* xoxo

Michelle said...

Never a good thing when someone is on the roof! Glad the mission was accomplished. I admire your ability to work at night. I know you must have been exhausted.

Terri D said...

I do enjoy your 'my day' posts! Lots of work to do when you had already worked an entire shift. Bless you. Your snow photos are great. I'm glad Bob got off the roof safely!!