Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Cooking Thursday

Last week I made my first pot of soup for the season.  Bob had asked me to make this particular chicken noodle soup.  I don't make it often, because it takes a little time, but it is seriously the very best soup!  It makes a big pot, so we had it for supper a few times, and took it for lunches as well.
 I was told this recipe originally came from Paula Deen so I have to give her credit.

Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup

Stock:
approx. 2# whole chicken
4 cups chicken broth
8 cups water
one onion quartered
3 teaspoons chicken stock concentrate
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
4 bay leaves
Add all ingredients to a large soup or stock pot.  Cook until chicken is cooked through - about 1 1/2 hours.
Remove chicken from pot and allow to cool. Pour broth through strainer to remove onions, bay leaves and any sediment. Return stock to pot.
Remove chicken from bones - discard bones and skin, and set chicken aside.

Soup:
2 cups sliced carrots
2 cups sliced celery
2 cups uncooked frozen egg noodles*
3 tablespoons chopped, fresh parsley
2 teaspoons chopped, fresh rosemary
1/3 cup cooking sherry

1 cup grated parmesan cheese
3/4 cup heavy cream


Bring stock back to a boil. Add carrots and cook for about 3 minutes, then add celery and cook for another 10 minutes.
Add egg noodles and cook as directed on package.
When noodles are done, stir in chicken, parsley, rosemary and sherry.  Then stir in parmesan and cream.
Cook for about 2 minutes.  Add salt and pepper as desired.
*The frozen egg noodles make a big difference in the end result.  I used Reames, I'm told Granny's are also good.  If these are not available, regular noodles will also work

10 comments:

KB said...

Looks delicious

Kerin said...

That is a fancy chicken noodle soup... yum!
I'm sure that the addition of cream and parmesan cheese makes it irresistible.
Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Warm wishes..
~K.

Mary M said...

Mari, the 3 teaspoons chicken stock, is that a stock concentrate or just regular stock? This sounds like a soup my family would love.

Sally said...

Wow, Mari! I love the look, I know it was good!

I remember when we were kids and under the weather, Mama always made chicken soup for us. :)

xoxo

Debi said...

Your soup looks and sounds delicious. We are big soup eaters in the colder weather, I'll have to try this one! Thanks for sharing.

Connie said...

Your soup looks soooooooooooooooooo good :) Tis' the season for hot soup. Last week I bought a chicken and made chicken and dumplings . . . I love comfort food and have to be careful so that I don't put the weight back on that I worked so hard to get off. I've always been a yo-yo dieter and now I've reach an age when I need to get serious about my health before I have a doctor tell me too.
The photo that you posted Tuesday is gorgeous . . . doesn't our Lord paint the most beautiful pictures:)
Have a sweet day,
Connie :)
P.S. the post office said that your package should arrive today.

Linda said...

There is definitely a nip in the air for soup...smiles.😊

Terri D said...

I LOVE homemade chicken noodle soup. This sounds delicious! Thanks always for sharing your yummy recipes, Mari!

Mari said...

To unknown - yes, it's the chicken stock concentrate.

Jenny said...

WOW ... I don't usually work this hard on a recipe but this sounds like serious soup that's well worth the effort. Duly copied (the recipe, that is, haahaha) ... Thanks, Mari! Have fun shopping! xoxo