Pages

Monday, October 23, 2017

Decorating pumpkins

I saw an idea for decorating little pumpkins and thought I would try it out with the girls.  It involves the tiny little gourd pumpkins and nail polish.


Here they are at the table ready to start.



First, you put water in a disposable plastic container, then drip nail polish on top of the water.



Then you run a tooth pick through the polish to swirl it.  Next, you take a little pumpkin by the stem and put it into the dish on the side and pull it up through the swirls so the nail polish ends up on the pumpkin.
The pumpkin then has to sit out on wax paper for some time to dry completely.



The girls each got to choose which colors they wanted, and then swirled their colors.  Alaina is all about pink and purple, and Ruby tried a little of everything.



Here's Alaina with a few of her pumpkins,


and a few of the shots I got while attempting to get a picture of Ruby with hers.



Here's our finished projects loaded up to go home with the girls.  I found that it was hard to get the whole pumpkin coated with color, but the girls had fun and that's what counts!

21 comments:

Terri D said...

Adorable!! I saw something about nail polish on little pumpkins just the other day and had visions of painting them with that tiny brush! Now I understand!! Thanks for the demo!!

Anonymous said...

Sweet pictures. I love a little of the orange showing through....very cute idea for precious granddaughters.

Hootin Anni said...

I have plenty of nail polish here....but no mini-pumpkins. I can go buy some and try it. I LIKE this very much.

And those smiles....they are 'catchy'...making me smile with their grandma's fun projects. So cute, they are.

Karen said...

What a nice project. Looks like they had lots of fun!

Arlene G said...

Those are so cute!! And I love your Longaberger basket too!

Linda said...

That is so neat, I see Miss Ruby got her haircut, smiles. Have a beautiful day friend.

Sue said...

Having fun making memories is what counts, these are so cute, I love this idea, thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Sue

Changes in the wind said...

Didn't they turn out pretty but nothing could beat the smiles...

Jennifer Hays said...

That looks like fun! I've never seen anyone do it before. The pumpkins look very nice, colorful and unique!

Sally said...

Those are SO cute! I can see the little's had fun. I might have to try that with Ry and Jase. :)

xoxo

Jenny said...

I'd expect no less than psychedelic pumpkins from Alaina and Ruby, spurred on by Grandma, haaahaha. Those tiny pumpkins would send Dagny over the edge of joy. We may have to try this. I love their UP shirts too ... wonder where they got those. xoxo

Jean said...

I LOVE this!! Gotta remember this for another year!

LL Cool Joe said...

They look great but I bet you were quite pleased they were going home with the girls. :D

Cherdecor said...

You had a lot of courage to allow the girls to use nail polish on your table! Now after seeing how well they did and Ruby did not drop one bit of nail polish on your table, that shows that she isn't quite so wild as we thought. (; These pumpkins are awesome! They did a great job!

Saleslady371 said...

Great idea - thanks for sharing. Have to tell my daughter about this one! Those little girls of yours are adorable.

Dianna said...

What a wonderful craft for the girls to enjoy! You find the neatest ideas like that, Mari! Did Ruby get a new hair-do? Love their finished projects!

Joyful said...

Oooh, those are very pretty little pumpkins. I bet the girls had a wonderful time.

Laura said...

They had a blast! And they are SOO proud of their pumpkins. They have them all lined up on their dresser in their bedroom to look at.

Henny Penny said...

This is so cute. Looks like they didn't get a drop on their clothes. That's amazing.

Rebecca said...

How unusual!

Anita Johnson said...

So pretty, love the colors!