Pages

Monday, July 18, 2016

Cutting Watermelon

I love fresh watermelon in the summer, and often have a bowl of it cut and ready to eat in the refrigerator.  What I don't like is the mess that's made cutting it up.  I'd seen a few ads for this new gadget that is a watermelon slicer and tongs both, and I decided to order one and try it out.



Here's a short video that shows how it works.


Here's what it looks like.


 First you slice the watermelon, right in the rind, using the cutting edge on the front.


Then you can take out each slice, using it like you would a pair of tongs.   The juice stays in the rind.  However, in my case, I still end up cutting it into cubes.   It is a pretty neat tool and is worth it on large melons, but for small ones, I just do it the old fashioned way.
I've seen these for a variety of prices; from $7.99 to $29.99.  I got mine for about $10 and it seems to work just fine.  So - I wouldn't pay the larger price for one, but if you see it on the cheaper end, you just might like it!

13 comments:

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

That is a neat gadget...have never seen one before. I love watermelon too, so that would be good to have on hand.

Arlene G said...

I wondered if those things work. I guess I will stick with the old fashioned way! Thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

This is a new one for me. I'm not a fan of watermelon, but do love cantaloupe. I waste a lot cutting them up the old fashioned way, so this might be handy.

Cherdecor said...

I love watermelon. My biggest problem is cutting a big watermelon in half. I usually have Alan or Chad do that then I can cut the halves. This would be a good gadget to have. I need all the help I can get! LOL!

Linda said...

I wondered about those tong thingys...thanks for the review, Mari...have a beautiful day, friend.

Terri D said...

Looks like a good gadget to have in the drawer, but for the one or two watermelons we buy each year, I just need to stick to the old fashioned way. I am a kitchen gadget hoarder though, and will probably snag one of these, now, if I see it somewhere in the $10 range. Thanks for the demo!

Beth Cotell said...

I get a watermelon every week in the summer. I'll have to keep my eye out for this gadget!

Betsy Brock said...

I've been wanting one of these! Looks so cool!

Stephanie said...

Oh, I'm so glad you shared this nifty tool. I love watermelon, but absolutely hate cutting it so this would be the perfect solution :) I'll be on the lookout for one of these. Hugs!

living from glory to glory said...

Okay, Now I have seen everything when it comes to kitchen gadgets! LOL
I will be looking at one of those! I have a watermelon sitting here that needs to be sliced and diced and to get it cold... Yummy
Hugs, Roxy

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Very cool Mari! I don't think I've seen one like that before. I have seen different videos on places like youtube showing easier ways to cut it. But I love the idea of this!! Thanks for sharing Hon. ;)

Blessings. xoxo

Sylvia said...

Really impressed with that, and didn't expect to be able to buy it in the UK. Googled it, and I can so think I'll do that. Thanks Mari

Joyful said...

That's interesting. I've never seen one. Of course I haven't looked for one and seldom look for cooking or kitchen utensils. This gadget is a bit intriguing though. I use a serated bread knife for cutting my watermelons. I cube it like you do or I eat in smaller slices with rind on so that I have something to hold. I often place paper towel under the melon after I've washed it thoroughly and then rinsed in vinegar water. That helps down on any juices flowing onto the cutting board or counter. Just seeing your slices makes me hungry/thirsty. Watermelon is so refreshing.