Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Cooking Thursday

We had a group of friends over this past weekend. I served pulled pork and this salad, and everyone liked it. I always get asked for this recipe when I bring it somewhere, so I decided it needed to be shared here.



 Corn Bread Salad
1 pkg (8.5 oz) corn bread/muffin mix
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
1/8 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground oregano
Mix all of above and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool.

1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 envelope ranch salad dressing
Mix to make dressing.

1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz) corn, drained
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

In a 9x13 glass pan or a large glass bowl, crumble half of the corn bread. Spread half of the dressing over bread. Layer with half the beans, corn, tomatoes, pepper, onion, cilantro and cheese. Repeat layer. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

13 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

That not only sounds delicious, but it's beautiful! I'm pinning it!

Brooke said...

love that its stuff I always have on hand any way (except the fresh cilantro. i'm a lazy cook and always sub dried)

Unknown said...

Love it and havent made in ages, but thanks for the reminder, and it will go to my next Sunday School class meeting or the monthly Ladies Fellowship!

Terri D said...

Mari, that salad looks beautiful and I'm sure is delicious! A meal all alone, but served with pork or chicken makes it a feast!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Yummy!!

Linda said...

Mari, that looks so pretty! Thanks for sharing, I will have to try this. Blessings

Michelle said...

This is some GOOD stuff!

Pat said...

This sounds like a great dish for a family gathering...it's a keeper!

Kim said...

This is one of my favorites! I like that I can use whatever veggies I have on hand, and the combination of flavors and textures is sooooo good!

Jean said...

Oh my word! That sounds and looks so delicious!!!

Susan said...

What a beautiful dish!!!

Jenny said...

Wow. I've never even heard of a recipe like this, Mari. It looks wonderful. I'm copying this one. Great for fall!

Unknown said...

Perfect timing for me! I'm so glad I scrolled down a tad. My mom in law arrives tomorrow and I want to make something new to them! This fits the bill!

Rebecca said...

That sounds wonderful. I KNOW I'll be making it soon. Thanks for sharing. (I was at a bridal shower yesterday and that kind of bowl was one of the gifts. I was jealous! It really shows off a salad like that -- or a chocolate layered dessert.....)