Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor Day Reunion

Every year my Dad's family has a reunion on Labor Day. He has an amazing family. There were 5 boys and 5 girls; one girl passed away as a child and his oldest sister passed away a few years ago. There are 8 siblings left, my dad at 81 is the fourth oldest, with four younger siblings.
These siblings have remained close, living in close proximity and in the way they are there for each other. We have always felt blessed to be part of this family.

Here are the remaining siblings. My Dad is the second from the right, in the yellow shirt.
This group loves to goof off and tease. I had a terrible time getting this picture because I was getting funny faces, funny positions, people hiding from the camera and the infamous bunny ears. We have always said that their Mom was a saint to deal with all of them, but I've been told she had a great sense of humor. (I think she is the source of this craziness!)


Now I have to show you a few pictures of the park we always go to. It's beautiful!

This is the back of the building we always rent in case of rain. It fits lots of people, and we fill it up!







"Children's children are a crown to the aged and parents are the pride of their children."
Proverbs 17:6

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to be part of such a fun and loving family! The park setting is really beautiful.

ancient one said...

Beautiful Family... reunions are special.

Anonymous said...

How very special! The park is a gorgeous setting.

Betsy Brock said...

Oh how fun! They just all look so cute together. I bet it is hilarious to sit and listen to their childhood stories. Oh my. What a blessing to have that every year.

Lovely park, too..I can see why it's the meeting place! Love those wisteria climbing up the poles!

Gloria Baker said...

what nice family Mari!
I love the park pictures too:)

Sadie said...

Amazing! This is just great! I love the park and I think it's perfect that you are all so close and enjoy each other so often!

Sandra said...

Wonderful pictures and what wonderful memories too :) I love that they've all stayed in touch and live close to each other :)

Unknown said...

No way your dad is 81! He looks great as does all of your other family members. I can't even begin to imagine all of the stories being shared. It must be wonderful!

LL Cool Joe said...

Wow you are blessed to have such a wonderful large family like that. They look like a lovely bunch.

What a beautiful park too.

Jean said...

I LOVE it!! Their mother sounds like she would have been a lot like Grandma Mary is. When I see her with her six "boys", it's easy to see where their crazy humor came from. She can really give and take it!

As you saw, I spent some time with my Mom's remaining siblings on Sunday. Theirs was a family with lots of dysfunction and hurt that they all kept inside for many years. Only in the last six years are some things being talked about, and we realize we wish we had known our mother better. We hang onto everything her sister says and cherish every chance to be together.

Raise Them Up said...

That's a great picture of the group! I always have the same problem with my family. My dad doesn't know how to behave in front of a camera, lol!

And what a beautiful park!

Have a wonderful short week, friend!

Kim said...

What park is this Mary? Would love some info on it.

Andrea said...

What a blessing!! AWESOME:)

Hugs,
andrea

Betty W said...

What a great place for a reunion. I love that they do it every year. We try and have a family gathering every year, but sometimes it just does not "fit". So special!

LuAnn said...

What an amazing park Mari !!!!

Looks like a great family day :)

Pat said...

There is nothing like family and it appears that you have a wonderful one! Any one who is blessed enough to be part of your group must always be smiling!
Beautiful park. Near you?
Will you adopt me?

Rebecca said...

What a beautiful setting in which to celebrate your family/heritage! And, yes...it IS good to see all the green again.