Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Tales from the Nurses Station


I've shared before a few stories about the cute little lady at the nursing home who calls me Coco. If you didn't see them you can read them here and here.
She is so cute -we all love her and we are often surprised by what she says. She spends a lot of time sitting with us at the nurses station because she is always trying to get up and walk, and if we let her go, she would be falling daily. Anyway - this gives us lots of time to have some interesting conversations with her. Here are a few of her latest:
1) She went through a short streak of calling me "Cuckoo" instead of Coco. Many of the staff thought this is what it should have been all along!
2) One day she said, "Coco - I know how you are. If you are not going to call the Dr for yourself, I'll do it for you. Just look how white you are - there must be something wrong!" (I guess I need to get a little more sun) :)
3) I don't remember what she had been talking about, but I said to her "A, you are so cute!" She responded "Well, I don't have anything else to do, but to sit here and look cute".
4) My friend and co-worker, Nancy was talking to her, when out of the blue she asked Nancy - "do you have your underwear on?" Nancy said - "Well, yes I do" and got the response - "wear it with a smile!"
Sometimes it can be really hectic and crazy at work, but moments like these will brighten even the worst days!

16 comments:

Nancy said...

These are such precious comments...I know you all enjoy her so much....but you know what,,,,she is blessed to have someone like you take time with her and talk with her........Blessings go both ways....

Unknown said...

Oh yes, it is moments like that that make ua all smaile and she is adorable and loved by us all!!!

Sweet Tea said...

I'm wearing mine "with a smile"! :-)
I love that you value and appreciate this sweet lady, that speaks to the type of person you are!!

Unknown said...

She sounds like an absolute delight. I am so glad you get to be a blessing to her Coco : )

Connie said...

I'm sure her family is pleased how you care for her.

;) said...

A lovely portrait! Thanks for sharing...

Hootin Anni said...

Rofl....I love #3!! She sounds like a lot of fun...what she would call herself-- "a whipper snapper"

HIDDEN SAND DOLLAR ...Happy Monday.

Rebecca said...

Smile. I hope I, too, can brighten some of the "worst days" for people.

Brooke said...

"Well, I don't have anything else to do, but to sit here and look cute".

LOVE this!

Betty W said...

LOL! She sounds like a delightful lady. Never know what to expect though. :)

Sandee said...

How adorable. You need folks like this to make you smile. Excellent.

Have a terrific day. :)

ancient one said...

My daughter works in a nursing home also. She has a few funny stories and she is like you.. she loves all her patients. From now on, I will look at unsmiling people and guess they are not wearing underware. Loved this post!

Just Mom said...

ROFL at #1.

Oh, these comments are precious.

Shelly said...

That made me laugh. That is one thing I miss!

Jean said...

She sounds absolutely adorable! Lisa worked at a nursing home for one year when she was in college and always had entertaining stories for us.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I love your little comments from the nurses desk~ It keeps life interesting!