Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

Annual Chicken BBQ

Every year the little town of Drenthe, near us has a chicken BBQ. I've been going to it since I was a kid, and my Dad still treats anyone in the family who is able to make it. It's the best chicken around, along with a good time with family and the chance to see relatives and old friends, so we usually all try to be there.

When we arrived, lots of people were already enjoying their chicken, while listening to the community band.


This chicken was as good as it looks!


After we ate, it was time to wander around and see some of the things on display.
There is always a bunch of old tractors to see. I don't know what this is, but I thought it was cool.


This is an unusual color for a tractor.


They always have a lot of farm animals to see.
The chicks were a hit! This is my nieces, Chelsea, Arianna and Katelyn with the chicks.

Nieces, Halle and Shaelyn had to hold some too.


Even Heather and Laura had to check them out.


There was a donkey...

goats...


another type of goat...


and bunnies! (along with a few other animals)


Here is my Dad, catching up with his sister and brother-in-law.


They also have wagon rides that take you out on a trail through the fields.

This was a fun evening and it reminds me of why I like country life!

17 comments:

Nancy said...

Mari, what a fun day....It's always more fun when the family's together...That chicken sure does look good; how in the world do they know how much to cook....

Unknown said...

Great pictures and looks like great fun with some really nice people.

Justabeachkat said...

What a fun activity to do together as a family!

Hugs,
Kat

Kalli said...

looks like fun. I did not know that Drenthe did that!

Jean said...

I LOVE chicken BBQ! And I also love family traditions that our kids have grown up with and still look forward to.

Sweet Tea said...

That looks like fun and the weather looked nice too. I LOVE BBQ chicken!! All the animals look adorable and would have been a real treat to this city girl.

A Stone Gatherer said...

What a great family tradition!

Hootin Anni said...

Fabulous!! I so enjoyed viewing the small livestock as we traversed the countryside with the tractor ride, and visiting with your family members! And the chicken grills?!!! ---lordy, that's a lot of food!!!


Gulf Waters

Hope your week is off to a grand beginning!!

Raise Them Up said...

It looks like a fun time! You sound like me with tractors. I always comment on the "pretty colors" and my husband then tells me what make they are, the years they were produced and what was different and special about each one. :) Too funny.

Brooke said...

that's some serious chicken!! what a fun community event :)

Betty W said...

Looks like a wonderful day. And some really good chicken. :)

Patti said...

What fun and great memories!

Karin said...

I could handle an invitation to a fabulous event like that! We just don't have friends who live in the country and have these kinds of events. I know - oh woe is me - but seriously I would LOVE it! Nothing better than chicken from the barby! Glad you enjoyed!

Pat said...

Nothing like a community BBQ, that chicken looks so good! What a wonderful country get together, and the kids look like they had a good time too!

Brenda said...

How fun! I love the small community feel.

Jenny said...

Wow. That chicken (on the grill) made my mouth water! I do love me some barbecued chicken. Here's to lovely late-summer days!

Shelly said...

The pictures capture the fun of the day!