Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Cooking Thursday

I'm sure you all know that I like to make meals in bulk and freeze them, so I have something ready to go when I work late.  Today's is another favorite! It's spaghetti sauce from the Pioneer Woman and it truly is the most tasty sauce ever!  You can serve it over any kind of pasta, this time I used ziti.  And if you have a box of pasta in the house, and this in the freezer, supper can be ready in a jiffy!

Pioneer Woman Spaghetti Sauce

5 pounds Ground Beef 
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil 
2 whole Large Yellow Onions, Diced 
2 whole Green Bell Pepper, Seeded And Diced 
6 cloves Garlic, Minced 
1 cup Beef Broth  
2 cans 28 Ounce Crushed Tomatoes 
1 can (14 Oz. Size) Crushed Tomatoes 
1 can (small, 4-ounce) Tomato Paste 
1 jar good store bought Marinara Sauce (can use another jar if you like the sauce to
      be more saucy than meaty  
1 teaspoon Ground Oregano 
1 teaspoon Ground Thyme 
4 whole Bay Leaves 
2 Tablespoons Sugar 
2 teaspoons salt 
1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper (optional) 
3 Tablespoons Parsley Flakes, more to taste
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
 
In a large pot over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef until totally browned. Remove meat from pot with a slotted spoon and put into a bowl. Set aside.
Discard any grease in pot, but do not clean the pot. Drizzle in olive oil. When it is heated, throw in the diced onion and diced bell pepper. Stir it around for 1 1/2 minutes, then add the garlic. Stir and cook for an additional minute. Pour in the  broth and allow it to bubble up and reduce for about 1 1/2 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and marinara sauce. Stir to combine, then add oregano, thyme, sugar, salt, bay leaves, and crushed red pepper (if using). Stir, then add cooked ground beef and stir to combine. Place the lid on the pot and allow to simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add a little water or some low-sodium broth if it needs more liquid. After an hour, add the minced parsley and the grated Parmesan. Stir to combine, then put the lid back on and allow it to simmer for another 30 minutes or so. Discard bay leaves before serving.

Serve over pasta of your choice, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
* This made enough for me to use one portion and freeze three more.  Each portion was enough for me to use for one pasta supper, with leftovers for lunch, and also the meal I'll share next week.

16 comments:

Terri D said...

I love the Pioneer Woman. This sauce sounds really good and you are so right about having a good sauce in the freezer for a quick meal (or unexpected company!). Thanks Mari!!

Jenny said...

I made this a few years ago and although it's a little labor intensive, it is VERY good. Excellent. xoxo

Angela said...

That looks delicious. Oh, if only I wasn't allergic to tomatoes.

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious and hearty. I'll have to make a list of these ingredients and try it. Hope you have a nice day, Mari.

Joyful said...

It looks delicious. I like those noodles but seldom find them at the supermarket. I probably have to go the Italian deli.

Vicki said...

I love meals that you can freeze. This sauce sounds good.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

This one looks and sounds so good, but there is a little too many ingredients for me. I love your 'easy' recipes tho!

Linda said...

This looks so good, smiles.

Hootin Anni said...

Deeeeelicious! I've used some recipes from pioneer woman...no doubt some of the best dishes come from there!

This looks mighty fittin'

Arlene G said...

Wow thet is a lot of sauce!! I watch Pioneer Woman every day at lunchtime.

Sally said...

I don't watch pioneer woman, but this sauce looks and sounds divine!

xoxo

Changes in the wind said...

Just can't go wrong with pasta:)

Dianna said...

That looks SO good! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I love her recipes too! And I loved how with this one she said sometimes she'd make Italian sloppy joes by putting it over garlic bread. Yum!!

Laura said...

Yum! That looks good and putting things in the freezer is always the best feeling!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

I think that's a great idea. I often get caught without a dinner plan these days so having the sauce in the freezer would help a heap.