Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2018

A Day in my life

Here we are, in March already!  I had quite a hectic day on March 1 and didn't get many pictures taken, but I'll share a few and tell you about my day.
I was up at 6, and at work at 8.  It was a Thursday which is always my busiest day at work because it's the day our Dr makes rounds.
I start by reviewing all the orders and progress notes on all the residents in the last 24 hours, so nothing happens that gets missed.  I usually have some notes left on my desk regarding questions, things that need to be checked and that kind of thing so I take care of those too.
At 9am we have a meeting for all the managers.  We discuss admissions, discharges, any issues that may be happening and review all the residents who are having any health concerns.  That usually takes about an hour.
(By the way, we are finally completely done with the flu epidemic at work, and I hope we don'thave another one anytime soon!)
Then I start getting ready for the Doctor.
I pull all the charts of the people he is going to see, get vitals and a current weight, also recent blood sugars on our diabetic residents and lab results.

Here's his desk, with a bunch of the charts I was working on.
He is at another facility in the morning, and came to us around 11:30.  He eats lunch at his desk, signs paperwork and makes calls to his other facilities to check if they need anything while he is eating.  I eat my lunch at my desk at the same time and work on inputting any orders he's given while doing that paperwork.
After that he reviews the charts and we are off to see residents.  We come back to the office and he writes a progress note in the chart, I put one in the computer until we are done.  He left shortly after 4, and then I had to meet with a family whose mother is not doing well. The social worker, another nurse and myself updated them and talked about their wishes, should she continue to decline.  That meeting finished around 5.
I then called the families of anyone who had anything new ordered.  We try to keep our family members updated with everything that is going on with their loved one.  I had to print med sheets with the new orders and put everything away.
I left the facility around 6:30.

The sun was just setting and the sky looked pretty.  We were supposed to get hit with a big snowstorm that evening, but it went south of us, and all we got were clouds.


I had to stop at the store and pick up a few things to do some baking when I got home.

I got home a little after 7.  I had to make something for the staff on Friday, as it was staff appreciation day.  I also was making some bars for Friday evening, as Bob had his brothers and nephews coming over to make plans for Fall hunting.

Here's what I made!  On the left are Scotcheroos, which I brought to work.  On the right are Chocolate Streusal Bars which were for Bob and his brothers.

I was done with those a little after 8.  Bob works evenings on Thursdays, so he came home shortly after that and we had subs for supper and relaxed.
It was another good, productive day to start the month!

19 comments:

Sally said...

A busy one! I always enjoy your first day of the month posts!

Xoxo

Anonymous said...

A long day but I know you are very much appreciated by doctor and staff and your patients and their families. The goodies you baked make me hungry!
Wishing you a nice Monday.

Joyful said...

It was a busy day but I know a satisfying one when you get a lot accomplished.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I dont know how you do all you do my friend, but I know they are glad to have you there. Did I misread or are you in the hospital and if so, what happened?

Linda said...

I don't know how you do it all, Mari. smiles---hope you have a beautiful day friend.

Saleslady371 said...

I want what you take for energy! I'm thinking, too, of those patients who benefit from your expertise and love. And I sure am glad that snowstorm passed by your town!

Arlene G said...

You are such a good nurse, Mari. And those bars look great too.

Changes in the wind said...

So much responsibility to carry, you handle it well.

Doris said...

I always enjoy your first day posts. You are so organized....a plus for the facility! I'm sure they appreciate you.
God bless your day!

Jennifer Hays said...

Always enjoy these posts, Mari. I'm so glad to hear that the flu is gone from your facility for now, what a relief!

Zaankali said...

I enjoy reading about what your day looks like. So much goes on for our aging loved ones that most of us, myself included, have no clue of. This became so aware this past fall as Mark's dad was in his final days. Thank you for what you do. It is so valuable.

Jenny said...

Girl you stuff a day with so much activity, I marvel at you. Those baked goods sure look scrumptious. I've copied both of those recipes before. Your tree picture is wonderful. xoxo

Unknown said...

What a busy day and what a blessing you are to so many. I wish I had your energy...

Terri D said...

My goodness, I got tired just reading this Mari! Not sure I would bake two pans of sweets after a full day like you had! Publix makes wonderful baked goods! LOL I'm so lazy and such a sorry sack! Wishing you a great March!

Michelle said...

I think it's a miracle that you came home and baked after a day like that!

Dianna said...

Phew...your day made me tired just reading about it. I don't know how you do it all, Mari, but I certainly admire and respect you for the care you give to your patients, their families and those on staff.

Love it that Bob and his brothers are planning for fall hunting!

Oh...and glad that snow missed you this last time.

Betty W said...

I agree with Dianna, just reading this made me tired. You are a strong woman. Do you work fulltime like this? That is amazing!

Cherdecor said...

Your days at work are always so very busy. I would think that your feet would hurt! God bless you for all the work you do for the people in your care.

Karen said...

Your work days are so full! I'm always impressed by how much you get done in addition to a full day there. The desserts look delicious.