Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Cooking Thursday

We made something yummy in our last MOPS group. It's a caramel dipping sauce that's so easy and good I have to share it with you! It tastes great as a dipping sauce, but if you reheat it a little in the microwave, you could use it as a ice cream sauce  or anywhere else you use caramel sauce.
We put ours in these little canning jars, then put the jars in a small cellophane jar with an apple on top. The bag was tied, with a tag attached that said: "To a sweet friend".  It was very cute and would make a nice gift for a friend, or even a teacher.


 Easy Caramel Sauce

1 stick butter 
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
a pinch of salt 

Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and whisk vigorously to combine.
Add cream. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add vanilla and salt. Stir until combined. Cool, then store in refrigerator. Mixture will thicken as it cools. Can be used cool or warmed.

    18 comments:

    Sola Scriptura said...

    What a nice idea to make as a gift. I'm sure it would taste lovely on ice cream!

    Betsy Brock said...

    Yum....I had apples and caramel dip for lunch yesterday. It's a wonderful combination!

    Mary said...

    Ooooh that dip looks delicious! I love caramel, and as a dip for apples it's divine. I'm going to have to make this

    carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

    Ooohh -.i bet this tastes amazing! Great idea for a gift too. Another keeper. ;)
    Thanks Mari. Xoxo

    Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

    I am not a chocolate lover, but definitely a caramel one and this recipe 'hits the spot'! Thanks for sharing.

    Marsha Young said...

    Well that is just waaay too easy. Looks yummy though.

    Brenda said...

    I love caramel. I'm going to have to try this one. Yum!

    Arlene G said...

    Well yum!! I am writing this one down!! We are having a candy Bar at MOPs tomorrow and will do goodie bags for our child care workers. I am off to get my candy today!

    Connie said...

    Sounds delicious!

    Cherdecor said...

    What a nice gift idea! I think I will make some for neighbors.

    Terri D said...

    I do love caramel!! I think it's easy to make with condensed milk, too. Seems I remember seeing a recipe for that. Great idea!!

    Kerin said...

    That looks and sounds like a most delicious October treat!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe with us.

    Smiles :)
    ~K.

    Michelle said...

    This looks and sounds wonderful!

    Mary said...

    When I bought the ingredients for your caramel sauce/dip, Mari, my son asked if I thought it would work in his favorite dessert, banoffee pie, and I said I was sure it would. It's a pie using either a graham or pastry crust. A layer of caramel, topped with sliced bananas and then covered with unsweetened whipped cream, and finally chocolate grated on top. I will make it tomorrow afternoon. It will be so much easier to make it when I don't have to fuss around with sweetened condensed milk.

    Angie said...

    That sounds delicious!

    Amy at love made my home said...

    Delicious! xx

    Bethany Carson said...

    Mmm! That looks good, and those apples look awesome too--almost like Honeycrisp, my current favorite at the orchard.

    Jenny said...

    Oh mercy.