Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Cooking Thursday

Here's something new I tried last week. It was quite easy to make, other than getting the manicotti filled without breaking them. I split mine up into 2 8x8 pans - one to eat, the other to freeze. It was good!


The Best Cheese Manicotti

1 (14 count) box manicotti
1 jar marinara sauce
1 (30 ounce) container ricotta cheese
3 cups mozzarella cheese (more if you like a lot of cheese)
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese (not grated)
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
1 teaspoon basil
salt and pepper (optional)
minced garlic (optional)

Cook the manicotti shells according to the directions on the box. Drain in colander and set aside to dry.
Mix all the ricotta, 2 cups mozzarella, and 1/4 cup parmesan in a bowl.  Add an extra handful of mozzarella and a little more parmesan if you like it cheesier.  Add the basil and Italian seasoning.
You can also add a dash of salt and pepper if you like or a little bit of garlic. 
Preheat oven to 350.
Once the shells are drained and the cheese is mixed together, begin stuffing the shells.
I put the cheese mix in a large plastic bag, and cut off one corner, then squeezed the cheese mix into the shell.  Be careful because they have a tendency to split.
Pour about half of the marinara sauce in the bottom of the baking dish and spread evenly before you place the shells in the dish.
Once all the shells are arranged in the baking dish, pour the remainder of the marinara sauce on top.
Add any leftover cheese on top of the sauce.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 30 minutes.
If you want to freeze this, wrap tightly with foil and thaw before baking.

15 comments:

Sola Scriptura said...

This looks delicious. I like the idea of making one to eat and the other to freeze.

Hootin Anni said...

Delicious I bet. I have made this from scratch... manicotti...but it has been years.

Brooke said...

looks delish! i need to start doing more freezer meals

Beth said...

I love stuffed shells or manacotti, but I don't like the time it takes to stuff them. They work best for stuffing when hot, but my extra-sensitive hands don't like that. They are less pliable when cooled off. But they are sooo good and I like your recipe for them. :>)

Linda said...

Woohoo!! Another keeper for sure! Thanks Mari! Blessings

White Lace and Promises said...

I have still got to make the open cheesburgers.

Betsy Brock said...

Yum. I've never had an Italian dish I didn't love!

Patsy said...

Thanks, looks so good.

Anonymous said...

Another great recipe to try and one to freeze. I love it!!! I bet is smells wonderful in the oven.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Mari, this looks so delicious. Being half Italian I love recipes link this and easily adapt to my gluten free needs.

Visiting from Sola Scriptura. So nice to meet you.
So enjoyed my visit.
Blessings

Beth Cotell said...

This looks so yummy! Wish I had this in the oven right now!

Connie said...

Sounds so good. Love to have extra in the freezer so some nights I don't have to cook.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I used to make a dish very similar to this years ago and was thinking, just this morning, about making it again. Thanks for the inspiration. I don't think I put the Italian dressing in mine so I will try that! Thanks!

Terri D said...

One of Joe's favorites! Thanks for the recipe. I haven't made any in a long, long time.

Jenny said...

Wow. I have never made anything like this. It sounds wonderful. I think I'll copy this one, Mari. xoxo