Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Heat Wave!

Like many of you, we have been under heat advisory's for much of the past week. I really can't remember a time that has been so hot and so dry.
The grass is so dry that is doesn't take much for a fire to start.
On Thursday and again on Friday, we had electrical transformers blow about a mile away from us, and grass fires started as a result.

We had driven by this area about 15 minutes earlier and then were quite shocked when we drove past later to see that there had been a fire! It shows how quickly a fire can happen in these dry conditions. A little further down the road is where the other transformer blew, and the fire was larger there.


This is hard to see, but it's a thermometer that shows the temp in our back yard. It's in direct sun and it always shows the temp hotter that it really is in the afternoon. This was taken Friday and it shows 122 degrees! I did see actual temps of 109 in town that afternoon. As I said earlier, I don't remember ever seeing temps that high.
It finally cooled on Sunday, with temps in the high 80's -feels so much better! It's supposed to be in the 80's this week, but then get hot again. In the meantime, we'll enjoy the temps a bit cooler and keep praying for rain.

14 comments:

Pat said...

I just mentioned to my husband that the dry conditions really increase the fire hazard, and I wish people would stop shooting off fireworks already!
So thankful for the slightly cooler weather in the forecast!

Gloria Baker said...

So sorry mari you are living this heat wave, I know is hard.
Now we are in winter but we had a really hot suumer!
Hope all goes better!

Terra said...

Mama mia, triple digits are brutal and like you said, increase the fire hazard. Stay cool, 80 sounds much more pleasant.

Connie said...

Wasn't that heat oppressive? Today (Sunday) was beautiful.

Hootin Anni said...

We have what they call an atomic thermometer that has the little ditty outdoors and it shows the outdoor temp from the indoor meter. And we had 107 [don't know that the heat index would be] and the nuclear reader is in the shade!!

Now 122 in the full sun....in Michigan is unheard of!!!

Hootin Anni said...

...I meant atomic instead of nuclear....too early for me this morning to think clearly. GEEZ. But, the temps do resemble the heat from a nuclear blast. Guess that is where my mind was going on that one. LOLOL

LL Cool Joe said...

If only I could send all our rain your way, and you could return the favour with some sunshine!

I can't wait for our next trip to AZ and the heat!

Sadie said...

Hope you have gotten some rain. We are dealing with the same issues. We FINALLY received some rain the past few days, but not enough to keep the crops going. It's been rough.

Leslie Basil Payne said...

It's 84 degrees now where we are and it feels chilly compared to yesterday! LOL!

Anonymous said...

We are struggling with triple digits here in GA, too. We have lost several holly bushes despite watering. We are expecting rain toward the end of the week.

Kim said...

Ugh. That kind of heat is NO FUN. And scary how quickly fires can start and spread. Praying y'all get some rain!

Jenny said...

I can't believe it's so hot there, Mari! We have been shattering records here in SC too. I don't know that I've ever experienced 109 actual temperature (with humidity making it feel like about 118) before, but that's what happened on June 30 when we attended the soldier's funeral and were about an hour at the graveside (at the hottest part of the day). It is still well over 100 here every day but there's some relief expected. I'm staying inside as much as possible!

Brooke said...

we got some mean storms this weekend because of the heat too. hopefully it'll cool down soon!

Jean said...

I just hate to hear of people without AC, yet I know we survived without it most of our lives. I remember temps over 100 when I was a kid, so I guess it's nothing new. Monday and Tuesday were so much better here.