Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Shoo the Flu!


I've posted frequently about the good and bad times I have working in a Nursing Home.
Last week was one of the bad times.
It seems that no matter how strong of precautions we take, we always have an episode of flu go through the building once every winter. This year, we were thinking that we avoided it, but it wasn't so. All it takes is for one person to come in with it. Last week the dreaded flu bug arrived.
This was one of the nastier bugs we've seen lately. It hits with very little warning, and brings with it vomiting and other issues you don't want to hear about.
We try to keep our residents that are sick isolated from others, which can prove to be very difficult when they have dementia. The other thing that happens is staff get it. So - when working under difficult situations, you may have to work extra or longer than usual.
I was working down the quarantined hall for 3 days last week, which then caused me to question every little twinge or unusual feeling and wonder if I was coming down with it!
The happy news is that things are markedly improved. Most of the residents are better and so is the staff. And so far.... I'm still healthy!
And hopefully that's the end of it for this year!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you on this one, so glad to see it leave.

Christina said...

Thank God you are healthy after all this. I was over at Sandra's and saw your comment so I thought I would come over here and check your blog out. It's so pretty.

mariel said...

my parents work in a "independant living community" and they had a similar issue a few weeks ago. It was really tough around there, but thankfully my parents made it through unmarked! Glad you are still well, too!! I am ready for summer health :)

Shelly said...

Glad you were able to avoid it. It sounded like a really nast one. That is tiring and frustrating when it hits the home like that.

Unknown said...

I was the same way when I had my daycare. I prayed that the kids wouldn't get sick because it meant that it would go from one kid to another and then to me.

I'm glad that you're not sick and the worst is over!

Connie said...

Glad to hear you did not get "the bug". I have friends who have parents in nursing homes and it has been a bad winter with the flu.

Penny said...

No lie, after reading this, I put on antibacterial hand gel. Hope you continue to stay well!

Debbie said...

I hope you stay well, Mari! The flu was horrible this year. Thank goodness your residents avoided it as long as they did.

Cherdecor said...

How did you escape it?!?!? You are so blessed!!!! We had that bug here and we have no idea where it came from. Alan got it first, then Chad and I got it, then Alan got it again. It was horrible! I think we should be immuned for the next ten years!

Brooke said...

i had it a few weeks ago and it was miserable. so glad you escaped its clutches!!

Pat said...

I too though I escaped it, but was wrong. After my fall down the basement stairs, I woke up the next day not only in pain from the fall, but the flu hit! Oy! Not fun. I can't believe just how much my throat hurts too!
Going back to bed now.

Christina said...

I hope you don't mind but while asking for prayers for my hubby and his unit on my blog today I included prayer's for your son. Believe me I think it is just as hard to be the parent of a soldier. Your son is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your kind comment. Blessings.

septembermom said...

Hope you continue to stay well Mari! I'm glad to hear that everyone is much better.

Kim said...

Glad you avoided it and that things are improving for the residents too. A flu bug went through the nursing home my FIL is in while we were up for the wedding...it was like watching dominoes get tipped over, knocking the next one, right down the line until all were down...thankfully it was just a 24 hour bug. But I felt so sorry for the residents AND the staff! How miserable :(