Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2024

A Day Away

Last year my sister Terri and I planned a day and went to Ludington for a fun day.  We decided we wanted to do something again this year and spent a fun day on Friday.  We tried to have our sister Cheri go too, but they've been short staffed at work and she couldn't get the day off.

This year we decided to go to St Joseph, another lakeside town which is about 75 minutes south of us.
It was windy and cold, but the sun was shining!
Our first stop upon arriving was to go to the Lighthouse.


Winter is hard on a beach area.  The sand blows and drifts like snow. These steps weren't easy to climb!




When we made it up them, we were treated to this pretty view with the lighthouse in the distance.





It was really windy and the waves were beating the shore. The tracks in the sand were there from equipment that was plowing the sand from the pier and parking lot, back to the beach.



You can see all the sand that's left on this section they have done.




Here's a shot of the equipment scraping up the sand at the other end of the pier.



The waves were pretty big, and were washing up on the pier.







Here's Terri!




And me.   The wind was messing my hair.  We stood on this side to do pictures because the waves were coming from the other side.  However, right after these pictures were taken, a huge wave came from the other side and soaked up.  We were wet to our knees and had to walk around in wet shoes...

We went into town and found a nice sandwich shop and had lunch.



After lunch we walked around this cute town and did some shopping.  I love the cobblestone streets. There were so many nice little shops to check out.





After we tired ourselves out, we drove along the road that borders Lake Michigan and enjoyed the scenery.  We had one more look at the lighthouse from the road and then headed back home.
I dropped Terri off about 3:30 and then got home around 4.  It was a really nice day and we decided this needs to be a regular event.  Hopefully Cheri can come next year!

19 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari! So glad that you and and your sister Terri had such a fun day trip! Looks like you had a really fun day. I think it would be nice for you to make it an annual event, and hopefully Cheri can join with you next time! Have a great week!

roentare said...

That staircase is looking quite covered by the sand. Artistic in a way like folds of human flesh

Ginny Hartzler said...

You and Terri look alike! I love how the waves look, especially in the third photo. Wow, some of those steps are not even steps anymore.

jabblog said...

It looks as though you had a lovely day,albeit windy. So much sand!

Suemn said...

What a fun trip! You make me think I should make some quick, one day get-aways with my sister:)

Dianna said...

This is the kind of thing I love to do...only we live in an area where there are no lighthouses or beaches as grand. I think that's one reason I enjoy our trips to Maine so much...all of the beautiful coastlines they have. And our son and daughter-in-law live between 30-45 minutes away from them.

It looks like you and Terri had a great time inspite of the weather conditions. That sand going up the steps was amazing!

You mentioned how you loved the cobblestone streets. There is one area of Morgantown that still has cobblestone streets, but it's in a residential area.

Debby said...

That looks like a fun getaway. It sure looks cold - not fond of the wind. That one photo of the rough waves was pretty. I looked at it closeup and boy those waves were fierce. I bet getting wet and then with the wind made you feel the cold more. I’ve been to a couple of lighthouses here in Northern California and Southern Oregon.

Jenny the Pirate said...

You two are nothing if not intrepid. The wet-to-the-knees part and shoes full of lake water would have done me in for sure, hahaha! I would have been looking for a fireplace to sit in front of. Great pictures though! xoxo

Sparky said...

Such fun! It's nice to "get away" from the usual for a bit, isn't it?! Lovely photos. Thanks for sharing.
Blessings. 💙

Catherine said...

On our coast nearby we have cobblestones and the wind and high waves can lift them and throw them on the walking path, so we must be careful!
It was a nice outing between sisters.

Catherine said...

I made a mistake 😆 pebbles!

Jeanette said...

I so love the west side of the state. I remember having dinner once in a restaurant right on the beach in St. Joseph during a beautiful sunset! Heaven! I love when the waves are crashing on Lake Michigan! Worth the wet feet!!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Even with the cold and wind it looks so beautiful! You poor Honeys, though, getting all wet. Yikes! It looks like an adorable town with cute shops. That's my favorite way to spend a day. ;)

happyone said...

After that visit by the water I bet it was great to get inside and have some lunch.
Wow that is a lot of sand on those stairs!!!
Nice that you and your sister got to spend the day together.

Debi said...

It's so nice that you spend time with your sisters. Looks like a fun trip. The sand on the stairs is unreal... never seen anything like that!

Susan said...

Hi Mari, What a nice outing to go on with your sister. I hope to see my sisters next month. I love old cities like that. Have a great week!

Lowcarb team member said...

Shame Cheri couldn't come along with you and Terri, but your outing looks a good day out.
Shame it was windy, but I enjoyed your photographs.

All the best Jan

Mandy said...

What a beautiful place! I love that you and your sisters make time to be together like this!

Prims By The Water said...

Not sure if I had gone out on that pier. The pier in Port Sanilac can be a nasty one when the waves pound over it. What a lovely town though. Have not been to that one and looks charming with those cobbled streets. Janice