Pages

Sunday, September 17, 2023

Random stuff...

 I have a few pics from last week to share with you, just random bits of life!



Do you remember when we cut down the maple tree in the back yard?  Last week, Bob took the main part of the trunk to a friends house to have it cut into boards.  As you can see he got some big boards with live edges and some large pieces that can be turned on the lathe.  Now they have to dry for 1 1/2 to 2 years and then we'll see what Bob does with them.






We are entering a familiar season here - the acorns are falling.  When we sit outside we hear them hitting the driveway.  At night we hear them hit the roof and roll down and off.
Bob was cleaning gutters the other day and this is what he found; acorns. wild cherries and a few leaves. Unfortunately, there are a lot more to fall!




Cassie was over and discovered our Matryoshka dolls.  My sister Cheri and her husband, Mark brought them to us from Russia at 20+ years ago when they adopted our nieces.



She had the best time taking them apart and putting them back together.





She also discovered this chef hat and apron, and had a fun time playing with the play food.




A house that's fairly close to us is for sale.  They got this photo to show the area.  I thought it was so interesting to see from above!  It's a view I've not seen before.
I marked the photo to show you a few things.  There's an arrow (at about 8:00 on the pic) pointing to where our road is, then a circle (at 9:00) where our back yard is.  It's a brown patch right now, because of the drain field we had to replace, so it was easier to find in the photo. There's also a black line at the top of the picture which shows where the Grand River is. Much of the property in the upper left corner is protected State land. 
Now instead of just seeing my street, you have a new view of my neighborhood.


19 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is such a cool view of your area! an eagle's view! Cassie looks so adorable in the Chef's hat and apron. The acorns, cherries, and leaves look like someone arranged them that way for a pretty fall decoration. All they need is a basket or pretty bowl. It would be so awesome to have some furniture made from your old tree!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari. I didn't know that wook had to dry for so long, so I learned something coming here tonight. Those are cute pictures of Casi discovering that Russian Matryoshka dolls. It was fun to see the aerial view of your neighborhood. I love how green it is! It's always fun to see what you and Bob are up to. I hope you have a good week!

roentare said...

The life frames do make a good story here!

Suemn said...

Hi Mari, I have the same acorns falling into my house and garage gutters that you have. For some reason, I had more acorns this year than any other year that I can remember. That's a nice view of your neighborhood.

Catherine said...

It is a very nice area lots of beautiful trees! Cassie is so cute with her chief apron and hat!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Cassssssiiiieeeee! Cassie Cooks! And I can't believe how blond her hair is! I thought it was darker! I don't know why. What a little dollbaby she is. That is fascinating about the maple wood having to dry for so long before Bob can use it. And that aerial view is breathtaking! The birds really do have the best view of everything. xoxo

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh and I forgot to add, our acorns are showering down too, out of the white oak. Last night one hit the sun room room so hard, it practically scared me to death! Game on for autumn 2023. xoxo

R's Rue said...

Love it.

Sparky said...

Steve enjoys woodworking, so, we try to reuse any removed trees from our property too. It's so pretty.
Cassie is growing up into a lovely young girl. She's so precious.
Blessings. xx

Jean said...

That picture of Cassie in the apron and hat could win an award! SO darn CUTE!!!

I didn't realize your sister had adopted children from Russia!

I love that aerial view! It's hard for me to imagine living in an area without hills and mountains. That would be really nice in winter time.

happyone said...

I bet Bob will turn that wood into something wonderful.
Great overall view of your area. Nice to see so many trees.

Prims By The Water said...

How cool to have an ariel view. Looks like you might have a chef in the making soon. What a cutie. Janice

Terri D said...

How fun to see your neighborhood from a bird's eye view! There are more homes than I anticipated. Your photos always seem to be rural... not out in the country but not as populated. Interesting! Cassie is so cute. Growing up and learning about everything! Thanks for sharing!! xo

Billie Jo said...

That is a fantastic view! And the acorn mixture in your gutter looks like it is supposed to be there! Like an autumn decoration! I hope you have a cozy autumn week, my friend.

Jeanette said...

Cassie is absolutely adorable and in that little chef outfit? Too cute!! Love the neighborhood view! Are those wild cherry's edible?

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Hello dearest Mari!
Always love seeing pics of adorable Cassie. Love her with the chef hat! ;) Can't wait to see what that artist Bob comes up with one day.
And such a cool pic of that view of your home and area. Love that you have so many trees and woodsy everywhere. xo

Kim said...

That arial view of your neighborhood is so cool. It's very green and filled with wide open spaces. I think your gutter looks like it's filled with a fancy potpourri blend that Pottery Barn would sell in bags. I would scoop some up, put it in a glass dish and pop it on an end table this fall! haha!!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh, I love this, Mari! Thank you for sharing it with me! I love seeing these aerial views of our homes and neighborhoods! Now we see what the birds see when they fly over (or the tiny little people way up there in the jet airplanes too...I love looking down at houses from an airplane and I always wonder if they are looking up at me!) I enjoyed this. Thank you!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

P.S. I love seeing your Cassie playing with the dolls. I won't try to spell it. I have one little one that came from Ukraine. I think they are so fascinating! Oh, and she is so cute in her chef's hat and apron! Who knows? She might grow up to cook for you!
I love the maple boards, and especially with the live edge still on them. At first I thought it was still one big hunk and I could see it becoming a beautiful mantel for a fireplace. Put either way, I am sure your hubby will find a good use for the wood. I love being around woodworking shops. It is in my "blood", from my Daddy and my son too. Fresh cut lumber is a favorite smell!