Pages

Monday, September 18, 2023

A little project...

When we were cleaning out my Dad's house and barn, there were 2 old window frames found.  My brother was going to throw them away, but one was in decent condition, and I know how much these things sell for in thrift stores, plus I love old things like this so we took it home.
It sat in the garage for some time while I tried to think about what I could do with it.
Then I had an idea. My friend Kim, over at Exquisitely Unremarkable frequently shows such cute things she does with decals, and I thought this was the perfect time to try using them.


Here's the window. Bob scraped off loose paint and pulled out some random nails.  Then I wiped down the wood frame and washed the glass as best as I could. The glass is very old and had some stains I couldn't get off, but that goes with the old look.

I went to Etsy to find decals I liked that were the right size.



Here's the first decal, lined up where I wanted it and ready to be rubbed on.




One decal on and one to go!  I had flowers to put in the bottom right corner.  That one had much more detail, so was much harder to do, but I got it on.





Here's the finished product!  I really like how it turned out, and it has sentimental value since it came from my Dad's shed.
It's going to be hung by the back door in the garage.
Thanks Kim, for the inspiration!

18 comments:

Jan said...

I love it!

Susan said...

Hi Mari, that came out really nice!!! Even more special since it came from your dad's house. Etsy has a lot of nice things. I get a lot of Bible journaling graphics from there. Enjoy your week!

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is totally awesome! I think it would look good hanging in the kitchen as well.

roentare said...

It looks neat and elegant!

Suemn said...

Hi Mari, What a wonderful way to re-purpose something that came from you dad's house. It's so cute:)

Jeanette said...

That's really nice! I often see old windows and doors at estate sales and think I should grab them and do something with them! Maybe I will next time!

Sparky said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE projects like that! You did great. Might wanna make more of them. They sell really well. Well done! Blessings. xx

Catherine said...

A very good idea and it looks very nice.

Happy@Home said...

It turned out so nice. How special to have this lovely reminder of your dad. I like the way we inspire each other in blogland.

happyone said...

That is so nice. I like things like that too.
The door to my pantry is an old door with glass panels and on the middle panel I painted PANTRY on it.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

oh my word - I LOVE this idea!! Genius, and so pretty too. And the icing on the cake is the sentimental value. Love it!

Terri D said...

Mari, I love how that turned out!! A really great idea and well done!! Thanks for sharing!! xo

Prims By The Water said...

You did a fantastic job! Janice

Katelyn R. said...

that turned out really nice!!!!

Kim said...

Mari!! This is so beautiful!! I absolutely adore it. I love the fact that it belonged to your dad, that makes it so much more personal and special. What a lovely keepsake. I also love the decals you chose. I think I might need to find them, those flowers are darling. It's the perfect design. I'm so humbled by your mention, thank you my friend, it makes me so happy to think that something I shared inspired someone else to get crafty!! ❤️

Jenny the Pirate said...

Simply brilliant ... I LOVE old windows hung as decorations. Erica has one and I'm so jealous but wow, yours being found at your dad's house makes it so much more special. Just perfect for that country/Americana vibe that you're so good at. Props to you, my friend! xoxo

Great-Granny Grandma said...

It looks lovely.

Mandy said...

Wow! 😍 That turned out SO good! I love this! It looks like a very expensive piece of home decor! Great job! 😊 To have a piece of something from your dad’s place has to make it extra special, too!